TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,878 Posts
I risked seeing spoilers (I am only about half way through the season), but I HAD to comment on the Christmas episode. I'm not even Christian and I LOVED that episode. Maybe the best Christmas episode I've ever seen on TV. My wife doesn't usually watch this with me and she loved it as well. EVERY story thread was great. This along with "Christmas in Canada" South Park episode will have to become a yearly watch during the holiday season. Loved all the rom-com references. Also, is Secret Santa not a thing in the UK? Some of them seemed surprised by the tradition.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,878 Posts
I am disapponted in this season.

What made Ted Lasso great was it was a feel good comedy that didn't bog us down with drama. Why all the dark personal arcs and network like personal relationships now?

Ted Lasso was a comedy about an team coming together in an unconventional way. What is it now? I know current trends are comedys that aren't really funny, but does this remotely seem like an "outstanding comedy series" anymore?

It's like they changed a hugely successful series after one season. It's not the same show. I know there are fans in the thread that would love the show just hearing Ted saying anything, but humor has become thin.

And why is Higgins who is the best background character on the show, seem to be the only one without an expanded role?
I respectfully disagree. Like you said, the trend is comedy is the write shows that are dark and not really funny. Ted Lasso managed to have some really dark moments, yet maintain it's quirky funniness. Sure there were a couple of episodes where it was MUCH more dark than funny (the Coach Beard episode), but overall, this show, to me, still had an interesting mix of being really funny, and yet, do deep dives into these complex characters. A show where Ted Lasso is overly optimistic every episode and Roy curses constantly, would get very boring, very quickly. And there were plenty of feel good moments which kept up with the spirit of the show. But that's just me. And I'm one who generally hates this dark turn we've gone through with everything on TV, comedies AND dramas. Give me more Ted please!

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,878 Posts
Surprisingly little about the finale here. So all the speculation about Nate and Rebecca's ex is true. The ex buys West Ham and hires Nate to coach (though it's unclear to me if he's the HEAD coach). I didn't like where the Nate character went this year, because I never felt that he could be anything more than an assistant or strategist. I know they made a big deal of him coming out of his shell for a few episodes, but I didn't think he'd go total jerk the way he did, giving Ted no respect when after all it was Ted who's responsible for his career in many respects and it was Ted who stuck with his strategy during the last match when others said it was time to try something else. Just seemed too out of character for Nate to be that way. It looks like Keeley and Roy are indeed going to stay a couple and I'm fine with that. I expect they will write a new love interest for Jamie next season. I thought Ted and Sharon had great chemistry and was sad to see her go. I thought (though maybe obvious) that they could have become a couple. And the Rebecca/Sam thing, also seemed a bit out of left field, but in the end I knew he was going to stay, though not quite sure if the reason was because of Rebecca or just because he felt it was better for his career (and really, playing in the EPL is probably a good career move for a soccer player, no?)

One thing I wanted to ask about but was waiting for the season to be over. The panel show that they show every week (the one that Roy was on for a bit) is called something like "Soccer Today". Do they call it "soccer" at all in Britain? I thought it was strictly "football".

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,878 Posts

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,878 Posts
"Soccer" does tend to linger in the vocabulary, and get back-imported as well. I was a little surprised to hear my extremely British sister-in-law refer to a suburb of London as "all IT professionals and their soccer mum wives".
So I'm getting the feeling that soccer is used as slang for football in the same way that "hoops" is used as slang for basketball. Does that make sense?

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,878 Posts
The Hollywood Reporter's TV podcast, TV's Top Five, did an extended interview with Bill Lawrence a few weeks back. Lawrence is a terrific interviewee because he's candid, conversational, relaxed, curious, and funny. In it, they ask about and he discusses many of the things that have come up in this thread from season two. For example, he said they knew full well how serious Trent Crimm burning Nate was when they wrote it, but they did so knowing not only that they would have Trent quit the next episode, but that (minor spoiler) Trent will be around next season and this is all part of his arc. As always with this show, it pays to be patient.

Anyway, check out the podcast episode for the interview. It's really good.

Apple podcasts link: ‎TV's Top 5 on Apple Podcasts
Speculation here, but I think Trent will take Keeley's spot as team publicist as Keeley is moving on. Trent / Ted moments are always interesting and fun, so I can see them playing off that.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,878 Posts
While we wait for season three (which may be a while), there is this:

I don’t game, but this strikes me as a clever bit of promotion.
I saw this too. Are they going to include the McIleney / Reynolds team as well (Wrexit or something like that from their FX Documentary)? That would be fun. I have had a few seasons of FIFA soccer over the years. I don't generally watch soccer but the FIFA game is fun to play. But it would be fun to play with Richmond AFC, so I might wind up buying it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts