TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
I was surprised as well about the comments that the Xmas episode was "dividing the Ted Lasso community". Sure, it was a bit saccharine but what's wrong with a pure feel good episode every now and then?
Feel good that stayed consistent to the characters. The hidden charity work done by the boss. The direct approach to getting the girl's stink fixed. The team coming together (again).

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
And Rebecca's mystery man is...Sam! :D Can't wait to see what happens!

...and I don't think that the doc is going to make it for that one drink with the team...pure speculation, so I won't spoilerize...I think that Ted is having panic attacks because he's so far away from his son, and the doc will help him leave the team and move back to the US. Since this is the last season, and all.

Nice to see Nate the "Wonder Kid" help win the game. :p
I was having trouble following the narrative this week. Did the hunk Rebecca have come out of nowhere? And the sequence with Ted getting "sick" up to being found in the Doc's office just seemed disjointed to me. Did she find him *after* the drink with the players or before.

A bit of a messy episode.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
And while Sam is in his 20s (seems to be portraying early 20s), Rebecca’s “true” age is 47. The hunk is portrayed by a 32 year old.

Actors don’t always play their true ages but much bigger difference with Sam.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

What’s more interesting is finding the depth in Sam’s character.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
up until he has his "wonder kid" moment, Nate was heading into a darker arc...he was unhappy and being shoved aside by the new assistant; who had the ear and respect of everyone...

I can see a fork in the road here where he starts demanding more (and not getting it) or if he's happy again because they won and he gets more respect...
That's not necessarily "bad" but just part of growth. Dealing with success and failure. His is the most human story on the show.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
This hit me this week. This is not the first series centered on a sports team but it is the first (?) successful one. There is a pitfall on making a show maintainable with sports because you have to define the winning level and not get stuck in the miracle run to a championship that means the show ends. Ted Lasso has managed to walk the line so very well.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
You obviously never watched Friday Night Lights. Show centers around the team, but it's more about the ups and downs of the characters than "winning".
I saw Friday night lights as being about the town not the team after the first season.

But that is why I put the question mark. It's a matter of opinion and even if you count FNL, it is a very small percentage that works.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Eh.

We spend an episode exploring the least interesting character of the cast and one who is better being a shadow and a mystery.

Didn’t care for Beard After Hours.

Guess a vanity piece for Brendan Hunt?

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
From Britannica.com

Linguistically creative students at the University of Oxford in the 1880s distinguished between the sports of “rugger” (rugby football) and “assoccer” (association football). The latter term was further shortened to “soccer” (sometimes spelled “socker”), and the name quickly spread beyond the campus. However, “soccer” never became much more than a nickname in Great Britain.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
The thing I didn't understand about it being a big emotional thing for Keeley to leave the team - Wouldn't it make sense for Rebecca to hire her new firm as the team's PR firm? So Keeley would continue to work with the team, just as a third-party PR rather than in house.
It would still be emotional as it is big growth for Keely and she wouldn't be as involved but that's what I thought would happen. Rebecca would just outsource PR to the new firm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts