TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many frustrating hours trying to add 4 CCTV channels to my cable (w/o box) lineup I have stumbled on the fact that Tivo will Only tune COLOR channels. I was able to display and add to my lineup my single color camera channel but Tivo insists that "Live TV cannot be displayed" from my Black and White channels that I can see perfectly well when viewing the channel directly off the cable input and using the TV tuner. Is this a software or a hardware issue? and can anything be done since B/W must be used to see in Low/No light onditions (ie: security cams)

·
Dumb Blond
38,603 Posts
Yep, we've discussed this before when someone wanted to do what you're doing. It took us a while to come to the realization that you did regarding the color signal. I would guess that it is a software issue, but I doubt TiVo would do anything about it as your use isn't really their model. Why don't you buy one of the many DVRs made for security cams? They're a lot "friendlier" to this type of application than a TiVo is.

·
Registered
978 Posts
gastrof said:
I know it's rare, but what'd happen if the TiVo received a TV show broadcast in B&W?

Would we get the "cannot display..." message?
I record many B&W movies without trouble. However I believe that at least some channels continue to broadcast a colorburst when showing B&W material.

·
Custom User Title
3,815 Posts
Even if the source is B&W, all modern broadcasts are color AFAIK. I don't think anyone actually strips burst or chroma at the xmit side. Of course, I could be wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.