TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I guess our family is one of the few people who outright loved the Hydra update (minus the bugs). Acknowledging that, we wanted to toss out some feedback on TE4 update in the hope that TiVo employees can use it for the next revision (or if TiVo_Ted is asked about tivocommunity.com's response)

• The home screen is not better now. Nor does it fit with any other parts of the Hydra theme.
    • The live preview on the home-screen (TiVo Central is the name?) is either a smaller window with a giant blank space where text used to be, or a nausea inducing live background.
    • Why not use the "What to watch" UI layout on the home screen? That solves the NOW empty left corner issue.
    • Why do the large suggestions not change when you move to a different horizontal menu? Seems like a missed opportunity. ie: scroll to App, and the discovery bar shifts to display last-used apps. Likewise, scroll to "what to watch" and you have the discovery bar populated by that content.
  • The TV guide is remarkably worse.
    • Having light grey text on a dark grey background, THEN making it transparent? Scrolling on this guide, with the background images flashing, really strains the eyes.
    • The grey box outlines make it look like an excel spreadsheet - like something from the early 2000's.
    • Still no color coding for the guide. :/
  • The mini-guide IS a better layout, but being transparent makes it useless when the background video is bright (like is often the case on HGTV)
    • Again, this is a huge eye strain.
Huge step back. We liked Hydra, but we're considering losing 3tbs of recordings to move back to the old UI now - the eye strain is awful. Not everything has to be transparent, tivo UI team!

·
Bryan
423 Posts
Hi, I guess our family is one of the few people who outright loved the Hydra update (minus the bugs). Acknowledging that, we wanted to toss out some feedback on TE4 update in the hope that TiVo employees can use it for the next revision (or if TiVo_Ted is asked about tivocommunity.com's response)

• The home screen is not better now. Nor does it fit with any other parts of the Hydra theme.
    • The live preview on the home-screen (TiVo Central is the name?) is either a smaller window with a giant blank space where text used to be, or a nausea inducing live background.
    • Why not use the "What to watch" UI layout on the home screen? That solves the NOW empty left corner issue.
    • Why do the large suggestions not change when you move to a different horizontal menu? Seems like a missed opportunity. ie: scroll to App, and the discovery bar shifts to display last-used apps. Likewise, scroll to "what to watch" and you have the discovery bar populated by that content.
    • Having light grey text on a dark grey background, THEN making it transparent? Scrolling on this guide, with the background images flashing, really strains the eyes.
    • The grey box outlines make it look like an excel spreadsheet - like something from the early 2000's.
  • The mini-guide IS a better layout, but being transparent makes it useless when the background video is bright (like is often the case on HGTV)
Huge step back. We liked Hydra, but we're considering losing 3tbs of recordings to move back to the old UI now - the eye strain is awful. Not everything has to be transparent, tivo UI team!
I have to admit I disagree strongly with everything you wrote but if it gives you eye strain I can understand.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts

May help bring it to @TiVo_Ted's attention. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't use Hydra but why aren't brightness, color, and line thickness user selectable options?
Either offer a dozen different templates or allow the user to select many choices of everything. We all don't have the same taste, eyes and aren't all the same age. Like Windows 10, almost everything should be user selectable choices.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't use Hydra but why aren't brightness, color, and line thickness user selectable options?
Either offer a dozen different templates or allow the user to select many choices of everything. We all don't have the same taste, eyes and aren't all the same age. Like Windows 10, almost everything should be user selectable choices.
Said well! At least bold print on the Guide as an option for us old folks.

·
Registered
777 Posts

I agree the blank space is a wasted opportunity, and one hopes it is sorted soon. The other suggestions are great ideas. Change is long arduous.

·
Registered
13,169 Posts
Finally found how to turn off the background image in the guide (the still if you are using the picture in the corner). The background image for the My Shows list option affects that. No separate setting for guide versus shows list.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Finally found how to turn off the background image in the guide (the still if you are using the picture in the corner). The background image for the My Shows list option affects that. No separate setting for guide versus shows list.
Try the Slow button |> to toggle the background and/or video window.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I agree that the Guide now looks like an old Excel spreadsheet, and it's the same thought I had on first sight. It's at least functional, and I'm sure many are grateful for the larger font.

Blank spaces are fine with me. The screen is busy enough without filling every square inch of open space.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.