TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are about to start traveling in a motor coach and she won't go unless the Bolt goes with us. It seems that powering it with 12V dc power should work, has anyone done this?

I plan to use a cellular hot spot to connect for guides.

Thanks!

· Registered
313 Posts
Do you mean a 12V DC power adapter that simply plugs into the cigarette lighter? Essentially just a wire that adapts the physical cigarette lighter plug to a plug that will fit the Bolt, with no electronics in-between?

That would make me nervous. The cigarette lighter voltage can vary with engine RPM (and will likely be more like 13.5V or higher when running, not 12V), and can also be somewhat "noisy", having fast and small voltage fluctuations (kind of like a small AC component, to what should be just DC voltage). I wouldn't be comfortable feeding that directly to sensitive electronics that expect a clean 12V DC input.

Now, if you're talking about something that plugs into the cigarette lighter, but still has a power brick to clean up the power into a proper 12V DC, that would probably be better. The adapter would need to provide at least as many amps as the TiVo-supplied power brick. This thread seems to show that the Bolt supply provides 12V, 3.0A:
Bolt Power Consumption?

· Registered
313 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.