TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· wait.. I did what?
15,535 Posts
I doubt that comment us actually 'factual' - it certainly isn't often but if a CableCARD hasn't been processed properly when turned in - it ain't going to likely work!
As I just posted in another thread, you can count the number of actual bad cards on one hand, whereas cableco incompetence in pairing and provisioning them numbers are astronomical

· HD Tech
1,092 Posts
As I just posted in another thread, you can count the number of actual bad cards on one hand, whereas cableco incompetence in pairing and provisioning them numbers are astronomical
When I first got TiVos and needed a Spectrum cable card, there were many difficulties and truck rolls.

Finally, a veteran tech was dispatched, who conversationally told me the vast number of problems Spectrum had with turning on cablecards had to do with the fact the very long and complex numbers on the card that needed to be entered into their system when cards were shipped to them were being done manually, and many, many times the numbers were entered incorrectly and the system could not find the card customers had been sent.

Turns out he was correct. He knew the magic number to call inside Spectrum to get my cablecard IDs entered properly into the system, and when that was done, the 'defective' card sprang to life and has been working for more than a decade.

· Registered
16 Posts
If (when) your cablecard dies, you can still get almost all of your Comcast channel lineup by using the "Channels DVR" system and a feature called "TV Everywhere" that gets your Comcast channels by streaming rather than through a Cablecard. There are other sources available as well, for both OTA and streaming. I have this set up now and it works great. My cablecard still works, but when it eventually dies I now have an alternative. See the "Channels DVR" thread -- https://www.tivocommunity.com/threads/channels-dvr.584214/ and "Cablecard" thread -- Comcast/Xfinity CableCARD Activation Website
Yes, I can do that with Spectrum too but I can’t record the streaming channels. Do you have a solution for that? I don’t want to be tied to buying Spectrum’s cloud option. If I can record to their cloud, how can I record to MY HOME cloud?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts