1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
No Pop Culture Here.
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
There is no spoon!
78 Posts
So its setup in 4 teams of 4, separated by age and gender. It seams a little disadvantageous to the old lady team.

·
Chef-In-Training
7,349 Posts
Somethign happened to me last season that had never happened to me before wiyth this show. I got bored and stopped watching. From what I've heard, a lot of others did too. I don't think this will be the ratings powerhouse that the others have been.

Now I'm all up for Amazing Race. Can't wait for that one to start!

·
Thrice as nice
10,805 Posts
Wow the possibilities for strategy have zoomed up now that...
the person who finds the hidden idol can use it after they get voted out and the person with the 2nd most votes loses. And they re-hide the idol once it's been used.

·
Excellent.
22,768 Posts
loubol said:
So its setup in 4 teams of 4, separated by age and gender. It seams a little disadvantageous to the old lady team.
Haven't read the article linked above, but in a different preview I read a while back, they said the four-team arrangement lasts only two episodes or so.

·
PatPacker
596 Posts
" However the four tribe format will be short lived, with the four tribes destined to become two during a "schoolyard pick" that will occur during the show's second episode. "

·
Registered
29 Posts
A Minnesotan and a Wisconsinite will challenge each other and 14 other volunteer castaways in the contest for $1 million in "Survivor: Panama -- Exile Island," the next episode of the CBS reality show beginning tonight.
Sally Schumann, the first "Survivor" contestant born and raised in Minnesota, and Tina Scheer, a lumber sports champion and lumberjack sports show owner from Hayward, Wis., will try to be the last person not voted off the island during several weeks of physical and interpersonal challenges.

Both have agreed not to talk about how the taped adventure came out. But relatives and friends -- who either don't know the outcome or also can't divulge it -- were willing to handicap the competitors.

Sally Schumann-

Hometown: Duluth

Attempts to qualify for "Survivor": Five

Backstory: Born and raised in Duluth, Schumann attended Bethel College in St. Paul, played midfield on the women's soccer team and earned a degree in social work. For four years through June 2005, she was a social worker and girl's soccer coach at Buffalo, Minn., High School. She now lives in Chicago, working as a waitress and bartender.

Why is she doing this? "She's been hooked on ("Survivor") from the first episode," said friend and former coworker Ann Bullert of Buffalo, who used to watch the show each weekl with Schumann. "Just the adventure of it, to see if she could do it -- that's been her drive."

Strengths, weaknesses: "She'd be a valuable person to have on your team," said Kathy Quady of Buffalo, a co-worker who also described herself as Schumann's substitute mom. "She's clever and cunning. She's able to scope out a situation, and she's pretty astute at what she needs to do." Said Bullert: "Her flaw would be that she maybe is a little soft. Some of them have to be maybe not so nice to play the game right."

Bugs and snakes? "Evidently she didn't care," said Quady, who has talked with Schumann recently. "She had a big bite on her leg."

--------------------

Tina Scheer

Hometown: Hayward, Wis.

Occupation: Lumber sports champion and lumberjack sports show owner

Attempts to qualify for "Survivor": One

Backstory: Scheer is the youngest of six in a family of champion logrollers, choppers, climbers and show developers. An advocate for women's participation in lumber sports, "Timber Tina" is the owner of "Chicks with Axes," a traveling group of "lumberjills," and owner of The Great Maine Lumberjack Show, based in Trenton, Maine, and a frequent commentator on televised lumber events.

She was selected to appear in an earlier installment of "Survivor," but on June 11, days before she was to travel to Guatemala for taping, her only son, Charlie, 16, was killed in an auto accident near Hayward. The network held a spot for her in the Panama challenge.

Why is she doing this? "She's an entertainer and promoter," said sister Judy Hoeschler of LaCrosse, Wis. "I'm sure it was a no-brainer for CBS." Said sister Theresa Caron of Bemidji, "She's not necessarily honoring Charlie by doing it, but she's always said, 'Charlie would want me to go on living,' and so she did. She wondered if some people might think she wasn't grieving properly by going on a reality show. But knowing Tina and Charlie, they would both go, 'Yeah! Go for it!' "

Strengths, weaknesses: Said brother Rob Scheer, of Hayward, "One thing I don't know if she possesses is the ability to turn Tina off and play the game. Some of the individuals may find her too much to deal with, that she's too strong physically and emotionally. If Tina can turn that off and play the game, Tina can win."

Bugs and snakes? "Not so good with some, better with others," said friend and roommate Audrey Fogg of Hancock, Maine. "I'll be anxious to see all of that."

-----------------

Tina will be tuff!!!!!

·
All About Footwork
31,731 Posts
gossamer88 said:
If American Idol can do it, why not the king of all reality shows!!
it sucks that it isn't...how can they not do it in HD?!

even if you upconvert it later, it would be better...

·
Thrice as nice
10,805 Posts
Probably because it would cost too much to bring those expensive HD cameras out to Panama and be able to run them in the middle of the jungle. American Idol films in a studio where it is so much easier to film.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
60,894 Posts
DancnDude said:
Probably because it would cost too much to bring those expensive HD cameras out to Panama and be able to run them in the middle of the jungle. American Idol films in a studio where it is so much easier to film.
As a percentage of the total money spent on producing the show, it can't be that much more expensive to add HD cameras to the mix.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts