TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much better episode, after a mostly yawner last week. Both votes, while not totally unexpected, at least shook the power structure a little. And Sami comes out smelling like a rose, after getting Karla to flip. Love the five man Tribals. Makes for a quick knife to the gut, and it keeps some of those aforementioned power structures from ruling the vote.

It seems like Cass is a very strong social player. They should have taken her out, but of course, being a strong social player, she's better than that. And I'm surprised no one is talking about Gabler or Jesse any more, but instead Ryan, a threat to no one (except clams).

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,833 Posts
Much better episode, after a mostly yawner last week. Both votes, while not totally unexpected, at least shook the power structure a little. And Sami comes out smelling like a rose, after getting Karla to flip. Love the five man Tribals. Makes for a quick knife to the gut, and it keeps some of those aforementioned power structures from ruling the vote.

It seems like Cass is a very strong social player. They should have taken her out, but of course, being a strong social player, she's better than that. And I'm surprised no one is talking about Gabler or Jesse any more, but instead Ryan, a threat to no one (except clams).
I like Cass, but man, does she ramble incoherently for a long time!! Again, always fun to watch someone go home who thinks they are running things.

·
randomize
24,415 Posts
I don't get why Cass needed to burn her steal-a-vote power. If the other 4 were going to vote together, why the ruse? If they were worried about James playing his KIP thing, Cass could have simply told him "Hey, Sami and I convinced Owen that we are going to flip and vote you out, so I don't need to steal his vote. He is not going to play his shot in the dark."

·
Deregistered Snoozer
4,939 Posts
Agreed with the steal-a-vote. I didn't get it. Who was James going to target with his KIP anyway? I admit I've lost track of who has which advantages but I don't remember anyone having anything that James would want to steal, in this group. But, there must have been: we just watch an hour a week and they're living it :) . If i were James I'd be MORE nervous after Cass said that since there's no point in wasting that advantage if the vote is solid. Personally I think the steal-a-vote is one of the most powerful advantages out there, mainly because it can flip a vote but doesn't put a target on your back to "flush" it like a full II.

One thing I did notice is that just like last season during this same two-tribal episode, two black players were on the chopping block (and this season, both voted out). I definitely do NOT think there was anything odd about it: it was eminently reasonable for both to go when they did. I just find it a bizarre coincidence.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
The idea behind using steal-a-vote was to make James feel completely safe. I think James believed he and Cass had a strong alliance, and wrongfully trusted her. I think James was suspicious of Sami (considering he and Owen talk) so her use of the advantage was to prevent the Owen getting Sami and someone else getting numbers.

Yeah it's a bit contrived, but James' explanation to Owen on why he should trust him made less sense.

·
"Just The Facts"
19,694 Posts
I don't get why Cass needed to burn her steal-a-vote power. If the other 4 were going to vote together, why the ruse? If they were worried about James playing his KIP thing, Cass could have simply told him "Hey, Sami and I convinced Owen that we are going to flip and vote you out, so I don't need to steal his vote. He is not going to play his shot in the dark."
Or if you're going to burn it use it on the guy you want to vote out. That way if someone flipped you still got the numbers.

·
"Just The Facts"
19,694 Posts
Last time a steal-a-vote was used, did Jeff ask/discuss/announce it before the vote started? I could swear that previously it wasn’t done before voting started, but I’m old and maybe I’m remembering wrong.

deb
I thought that too, I was surprised when he asked. But I'm old too.

edit:Looks like we're just old.

Unlike with the standard Extra Vote, the use of the Vote Steal requires the player to state their intention before any votes are cast.

·
"Just The Facts"
19,694 Posts
I doubt Jesse still has the one Cody gave him during that advantage shuffle they did last week. I could be wrong, but I would bet he already gave it back and they just haven't shown us. I couldn't see Cody and Jesse still being/working so closely if he hadn't.
Jesse must be well liked with 2 people giving him immunity idols (even if he doesn't have Cody's still).

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I liked Owen this season up until he threw a hissy fit. "You lied to me! You lied to me!" Boo-hoo. Has he never seen an episode of Survivor? Grow up, it's part of the game.

Glad Ryan and James are gone. Ryan went out with some class but James was very, very angry at being blindsided and showed it. Grow up, it's part of the game.

These players are, for the most part, boring the hell out of me. When this season is over I'm going to watch some older seasons with Russell, Rob, and Parvati.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,974 Posts
Or if you're going to burn it use it on the guy you want to vote out. That way if someone flipped you still got the numbers.
That's what I didn't understand. Once Jeff says it's time to vote (which is what she had to wait for before she could use her Steal A Vote), James could no longer play his Knowledge is Power. So at that point there's zero reason to continue the ruse and play the SAV on Owen. Especially because Sami and Karla could have still banded with James to vote out Owen in that situation. But stealing James' vote would have meant Cass and Owen controlled the TC no matter what Sami and Karla did. Totally baffled by the way that played out. I think maybe she overthought things and what she did was too smart by half.

Especially because, by stealing Owen's vote, she was obviously very sure that Sami and Karla were on board with voting out James. So if they're all comfortable that's the case, and if Jeff says time to vote and James can no longer use his KIP, then she should have just kept her SAV at that point. The way she used it was a total waste and all it did was make James feel comfortable for an extra few minutes.

·
Palindromer
19,694 Posts
My wife and I were talking about the same thing... If she wanted to get rid of James, just steal his vote... She knows where her vote and Owen's vote was going, so her steal really didn't do a d*mn thing... And then using James' vote to add to theirs would give them the numbers, right?

The only thing that this did was give James confidence that Owen was going home... But what was the point in building his confidence? Just send him home, right? And they did talk about ensuring that he doesn't use the "Knowledge is Power" advantage... I have lost track, does he know about anything to confidently use it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts