TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is certainly a unique season of Survivor. The game play is off the charts.

Still not a fan of Do or Die, and hope they drop it. Having your fate left to chance is no way to leave (or stay on) Survivor. Twice the victim went against the odds, and won!

Drea pulled everything out of her bag except her Idol. Hindsight! Wonder if her final call-out that Omar was the only person she told will come back to haunt him? Probably not.

Two episodes left.

·
oldweakandpathetic
21,476 Posts
Drea didn't have an idol. She played hers along with Mary Ann a couple eps back.

What would have happened if only one person chose to participate in the immunity challenge? What if none wanted to participate?

And where are the Ponderosas? We miss those things.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,177 Posts
I asked exactly the same thing: what if only one person kept the purple rock? Would they get immunity then everyone else has to compete just to see who drops out first? I'm sure they had a plan and they explained it all to the contestants before they got their rocks.

I was pretty shocked that Jonathan won that challenge. It seemed like he was at big disadvantage, as the big guys usually are with these stress positions especially ones where you stand on small things, due to the weight disparity.

So Omar didn't take Mike's idol and vote him out. That would have been cold blooded; maybe he was worried what Mike would do to the jury pool. It'll be interesting to see if he gives it back.

Reactions: VegasVic

·
Thrice as nice
10,847 Posts
Very entertaining episode! I liked all the options and I really had no idea which way things were going to go.

Still not a fan of Do or Die, and hope they drop it. Having your fate left to chance is no way to leave (or stay on) Survivor.
To be fair, their fates are NOT left to chance. They don't have to play. But I do think they'll probably drop it. And I understand what you're saying though, that Survivor is a game about voting people out and whenever it doesn't do that, the show loses something.

I do find it fascinating though, especially that nobody switched and both times won.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So Omar didn't take Mike's idol and vote him out. That would have been cold blooded; maybe he was worried what Mike would do to the jury pool. It'll be interesting to see if he gives it back.
That was my thought. Mike would have spent his last few days in the jury pool poisoning everyone against "that lying cheating worm" Omar. Mike is a good player, but he wears his feelings a tad to obvious. He loves someone, then he hates them, Anyone who plays Mike's game is a great person. Anyone who doesn't, even when they're simply making a "Survivor" move, is a traitor and liar. Someone can be an ally, but if someone else tells Mike that person spoke against him, Mike goes all homicidal on them.

Whereas I got the impression Drea was probably the best social player left. If they didn't vote her out, she was primed to win.

Omar will absolutely give the Idol back. Otherwise he's persona non grata and would get zero votes at Final.

·
Thrice as nice
10,847 Posts
Giving the idol to Omar even helps Mike's game because whereas before everybody knew he had it. Now, they know he didn't have it at tribal and won't know for sure that he gets it back. It brings back that mystery and that's better for his game. And because Omar was the only one who knew about Drea's advantage, people may begin to realize just how sneaky Omar is and work to put a bigger target on him, which also helps Mike.

·
Mouse Master
11,427 Posts
So after last weeks "big" episode, all votes were put on 2 black people. :oops:
Two weeks ago, and they did exactly what they set out to do: break the optics of several Black players being eliminated all in a row. They didn't say they weren't going to vote out any Black people again ever.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Two weeks ago, and they did exactly what they set out to do: break the optics of several Black players being eliminated all in a row. They didn't say they weren't going to vote out any Black people again ever.
Drea is playing real good. Not voting her out is stupid.. Her blindside is a compliment to her play and her chances of winning.

Omar is my favorite to win..

Considering no one likes Romeo I think he's safe to the end. Maryanne keeps fighting "goat" status but IMO has been poor in shaking that image so I think she's safe to the end too unless she can repair that.

Jonathan, Lindsay, Mike, and Omar are the last players with real sway and chance at winning. Jonathan has shown to not be the best at strategy so his fate really is on the whims of whose left if he loses immunity but until then having immunity means he can safely try to push and dictate the outcome at Tribal.

I think it really come down on if a person with sway can successfully make an alliance with Romeo and Maryanne. Then have the other 3 split a vote, then that person with sway controls the game. I think Omar is that person who can do that and Lindsay (with an idol) or Jonathan (whoever loses immunity) will be his target.

I agree the cast this season for the most part has been high level players (kind of killing my dreams of ever playing).

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,577 Posts
Drea didn't have an idol. She played hers along with Mary Ann a couple eps back.
Exactly. She had three advantages going into TC: 1. Knowledge is Power; 2. Extra Vote; and 3. the shared Amulet that she and Lindsey could have used together as a Steal A Vote. Drea used 1 and 2 at TC, and she didn't try (or wasn't able) to convince Lindsey to cooperate with her to use the Steal A Vote. So now that Lindsey is the only one of the three Amulet holders left, she has an Immunity Idol, which I don't think anyone else knows about.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,577 Posts
That was my thought. Mike would have spent his last few days in the jury pool poisoning everyone against "that lying cheating worm" Omar. Mike is a good player, but he wears his feelings a tad to obvious. He loves someone, then he hates them, Anyone who plays Mike's game is a great person. Anyone who doesn't, even when they're simply making a "Survivor" move, is a traitor and liar. Someone can be an ally, but if someone else tells Mike that person spoke against him, Mike goes all homicidal on them.
Every time they show a Mike confessional, I laugh at what he must be thinking at home as he sees himself saying all these absolutist things that are clearly just things other players have manipulated him to think. I wonder what would have happened if Mike were voted out this time and he spent some time with Hai at Ponderosa. Would Mike finally realize Hai wasn't gunning for him and it was all Omar's scheming, or would Mike remain loyal to Omar and continue thinking the worst of Hai?

·
tabasco rules
15,941 Posts
sorry to see her go, but drea's exit was her own fault. if she'd been as good of a player as we thought, she would have never told omar about her advantage - stupid, stupid, stupid - how many seasons does this have to happen before players get a clue?

·
Brr. It's Chile here
3,338 Posts
Yes, it turns out that knowledge IS power, except it was Omar’s knowledge of Drea’s advantage that provided the real power, not the advantage itself.

Omar really has elevated Survivor gameplay to another level. Everyone else seems to be the supporting cast lifting him to victory.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,177 Posts
So now that Lindsey is the only one of the three Amulet holders left, she has an Immunity Idol, which I don't think anyone else knows about.
I'm quite sure Lindsey told someone about this. But it might have been Hai or someone else already voted out. Or it might have been Omar: his game is the very embodiment of "knowledge is power". I just can't remember.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
This is certainly a unique season of Survivor. The game play is off the charts.

Still not a fan of Do or Die, and hope they drop it. Having your fate left to chance is no way to leave (or stay on) Survivor. Twice the victim went against the odds, and won!

Drea pulled everything out of her bag except her Idol. Hindsight! Wonder if her final call-out that Omar was the only person she told will come back to haunt him? Probably not.

Two episodes left.
The do or die and hourglass turn back time nonsense should not be around after this season since every player going forward will have seen them. The whole twist with both of these is that they were brand new (to the players).

sorry to see her go, but drea's exit was her own fault. if she'd been as good of a player as we thought, she would have never told omar about her advantage - stupid, stupid, stupid - how many seasons does this have to happen before players get a clue?
I am still surprised at how often advantages and idols are shared with others. Keep them secret and pull them out when needed. You're not getting anyone's trust that wasn't there already by sharing with them. It will be interesting to see if there's any fallout from her calling Omar out on it.

I'd really like to see 3 good players at the end and it irks me that players like Romeo and Maryanne always slide along the whole game and end up in that 3rd slot. Better yet - I'd love to see them go back to 2 players in the finals.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,573 Posts
Could they have voted Drea out without Mike's blessing (another black player)? If that wasn't Mike's plan, then I don't know if that could have been done. If it was Omar's plan, and they pitted Mike against Drea without Mike or Drea involved, I don't know if they could have done that. Obviously, we'll never know.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,573 Posts
Yes, it turns out that knowledge IS power, except it was Omar’s knowledge of Drea’s advantage that provided the real power, not the advantage itself.

Omar really has elevated Survivor gameplay to another level. Everyone else seems to be the supporting cast lifting him to victory.
He's mastered two of the three Survivor mantras, Outwit and Outplay, we'll see if he can outlast. His social game is good enough (at least up until that point) that people trusted him. That's part of the game. He's really played it well. Social game isn't just providing and being buddy buddy, but being a good "salesperson" so to speak. Omaris good at that.

As "weak" as Jonathan says he is, he still wins challenges. If he can run the table, it will be interesting to see if he makes smart decisions going forward by figuring out who to take. If not, eventually he'll be gone. I still think the possibility is there that he runs the table, and with that, wins the game.

I wonder if Survivor has ever considered a format tweak similar to what Big Brother does, in that if you win immunity, you cannot compete the next week for it. That would change up some of the strategy to not only make sure you win immunity but to win it at the right times. And to leave yourself vulnerable at the right time. It would make for some interesting game play.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I'd really like to see 3 good players at the end and it irks me that players like Romeo and Maryanne always slide along the whole game and end up in that 3rd slot. Better yet - I'd love to see them go back to 2 players in the finals.
Unless they take control out of the players hands (which would hurt the show IMO) players who are really good know who has a chance at winning and who doesn't and it's their job to remove those other players. Unfortunately if Drea, Omar and Lindsay (the last of the high level players IMO) had formed a true alliance to get the duds off, then we wouldn't get the cutthroat path to the end which is more exciting.
I wonder if Survivor has ever considered a format tweak similar to what Big Brother does, in that if you win immunity, you cannot compete the next week for it. That would change up some of the strategy to not only make sure you win immunity but to win it at the right times. And to leave yourself vulnerable at the right time. It would make for some interesting game play.
I dont think that would make the show better, having immunity means less stress during the scrambling, and you can more safely (at least while you have immunity) push your agenda. It gives players like Jonathan who have shown to lack the high level skill a chance shape the game the way they want. The others could just ignore Jonathan, however if he wins all the challenges that's a path to the end and he could use it as an argument to win the money.
Could they have voted Drea out without Mike's blessing (another black player)?
I think Mike identified himself as Puerto Rican.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Unless they take control out of the players hands (which would hurt the show IMO) players who are really good know who has a chance at winning and who doesn't and it's their job to remove those other players. Unfortunately if Drea, Omar and Lindsay (the last of the high level players IMO) had formed a true alliance to get the duds off, then we wouldn't get the cutthroat path to the end which is more exciting.
I know why it happens, it's just annoying to see the likes of a Romeo or Maryanne get into finals. I'd much rather they go back to a 2 person finale since the 3rd person rarely ever gets any votes anyway. And I would include Jonathan and Mike in as high level players this season.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts