TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked the forums for something on "target" with my question and could not find it. That said, I apologize if this has been asked before:

How do I get surround sound from the Tivo? My cable box has a digital audio out, my receiver has a digital audio in, but the tivo only has left & right rca audio cables.

The only way I can see to get surround sound is directly from cable box to receiver, but that would only work while watching "live" tv. Is there a way to get surround sound through tivo? And, does tivo record the surround "track?"

Pete

·
So tired.....
212 Posts
Depends on your definition of "Surround sound". Surround sound does not mean Didital or DolbyDigital or whatever. The tivo does work for standard ProLogic Surround. Just output from the TiVo outs to the analog ins on your reciever. Set it up for Pro Logic Surround. Viola. This is not Simulated surround or anything like that. It's basically 1st generation surround sound. I can then use the reciever to modify the sound by using DSP for various setups (Theater/hall/etc) but I just use regular old Standard ProLogic. YMMV depending on reciever capabilities, but it sounds like a recent reciever so the capabilities should be there.

This is how I have mine set up. Now it ain't Dolby Digital or anything. It is however functional surround sound (Center/Main left/Main right/rears).

The information for ProLogic is in the std left/right analog signal. No need for a digital connection.

-DPF

·
The Dude abides
5,604 Posts
If you are referring to 5.1 surround sound, then no, the TiVo cannot do that.

The only TiVo boxes that have 5.1 sound outputs are the DTiVo HD box (I think), and the DVD models. But those only output the 5.1 sound for the DVD; the TiVo portion of the box still only does stereo.

·
Registered
17,532 Posts
NewYorkLaw said:
The only way I can see to get surround sound is directly from cable box to receiver, but that would only work while watching "live" tv.
FYI, this wouldn't work well when when watching "live" TV through the TiVo. Just by sending the video signal through the TiVo you generate a ~ 1 second delay, even if you never pause the liveTV buffer*. Normally this isn't noticeable, but if you have the audio bypassing the TiVo, then it will be ~ 1 second ahead of the video. Really distracting.

*Delay caused by running the audio / video input through a mpeg2 encoder chip, writing the output the the hard disk, reading it back from the hard disk, sending it to an mpeg2 decoder chip, and the to the A/V output on the TiVo. The TiVo constantly does this, not just when you are behind in the buffer, and this processing takes a little time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.