TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ambassador to the City of Chicago
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, I didn't get an e-mail from them until this morning. Suppose the lack of replies to your thread is an indication of the enthusiasm toward the Edge platform.

The 500 bucks would be better spent on a lifetime Roamio, I suspect.

·
TiVo Fanatic
819 Posts
Clearing out the inventory before TiVo goes belly up. Just kidding... or maybe not.

I seriously do question where TiVo is heading since the DVR business seems to be going away.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I don't why Tivo doesn't revamp the Edge with a chassis that can support 3.5" drives and pitch it to Roamio and Premiere owners.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,143 Posts
I don't why Tivo doesn't revamp the Edge with a chassis that can support 3.5" drives and pitch it to Roamio and Premiere owners.
$$$$$$
If there is a "next gen" it will be as cheap a rehash of the Edge, nothing more.

·
Registered
399 Posts
$$$$$$
If there is a "next gen" it will be as cheap a rehash of the Edge, nothing more.
That's all it needs to be. Edge is modern enough but maybe they could throw in ATSC 3.0 support.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,143 Posts
That's all it needs to be. Edge is modern enough but maybe they could throw in ATSC 3.0 support.
I think you missed the point, re-engineering the chassis for 3.5" drives, and the cost of those drives would never get passed the bean counters.
ATSC 3.0 would also require code changes and they long ago fired the development teams and if they have any devs, they're for bug fixes only.

Reactions: seanandrsn

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Yup. If another model retail DVR ever comes out with the TiVo brand on it, it'll just be the same thing they're selling now but with a different name and maybe a different outer plastic casing and cheaper internal components. It's not going to have any new features and upgrades to the hardware.

But frankly, at this point, given the state of CableCARD as well as the OTA DVR market, I don't even really see how it would make financial sense for TiVo to sink any marketing resources into a new model brand name and packaging or doing anything to change the manufacturing lines. I'd be a little surprised if they even ran those same lines again to order more inventory. Good chance, I'd say, that they just sell through what they have now and then call it quits on retail DVR sales.

TiVo definitely seems to want out of retail. For years now, they've mainly focused on providing solutions to pay TV operators, first with QAM-based cable DVRs and then IPTV cloud DVR solutions and most recently their acquisition of the bankrupt MobiTV, which competed with TiVo in the IPTV solutions arena. They did pivot back to retail for a minute with their Android TV-based streaming dongle, the TiVo Stream 4K, but I think that was mainly just a springboard toward developing their forthcoming Linux-based smart TV operating system and app store, which they've apparently landed a "tier-2" TV brand as its first customer. (Pretty sure it's a TV brand that isn't sold in the US.) I'm skeptical as to whether the TiVo Smart TV OS will be successful. We'll see. And I'm doubtful that we'll see a second-generation TiVo Stream 4K, at least one running on Google's Android TV. IDK, if the TiVo Smart TV OS, with its own app store, succeeds, maybe they'll use it to power a future streaming stick/box sold in the US, although I doubt it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Tivo is now offer Bolt owners an upgrade to Edge for $99. I don't think its worth it even if you pay monthly for service. Bolt and Edge are basically the same except Edge is 10-15% faster.

Reactions: ufo4sale
1 - 12 of 12 Posts