TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thread to discuss S3 of HBO's "Succession"

It seems S3E1 picks up shortly after the end of S2. Kendall has just accused his father of being involved in the cover up of dozens of crimes and indiscretions over the years, and he's going to try to get control of the company.

Logan and the rest of the gang just got off the yacht and are in Croatia trying to figure out what their play is. Logan and some key advisors go to Sarajevo, since there is no extradition treaty.

Logan decides he should step down as CEO (temporarily) until this crisis blows over, and he plays mind games with everyone as he's trying to pick his successor. Roman makes clear that he wants it, so that means he's out. Shiv has a chance to take the reins, but she can't get the her friend, the cutthroat lawyer, to represent the company, so she's out. So it looks like Jerri will be the tempCEO, at least for now, which should be interesting with both Logan and Roman trying to pull her strings. Something tells me she's not going to be a very controllable puppet.

Meanwhile, Kendall is in NYC trying to figure out his strategy. He takes over his ex-wife's apartment since his access to Waystar has been revoked and the press is camping out at his building. He takes a pitch meeting with some top PR people and then proceeds to not listen to anything they had to say, and instead tells them what he wants them to do, which seems like a disaster waiting to happen. And Shiv couldn't get her friend, the cutthroat lawyer, to work for Logan's side because she's already agreed to work for Kendall. Cousin Greg is with Kendall and he's just as bumbling as ever.

And all the while, Logan and Co. are stuck at some hotel in Sarajevo right next to the airport.

Discuss!

·
Premium Member
10,613 Posts
It is going to be interesting to see what kind of revenge tactics happen next season. Will Shiv live up to her name so to speak? :)

Reactions: Hank

·
204 No Content
Custom Title 2
35,316 Posts
I enjoyed this season, but I had expected both of these:

1. There was no real reason I could see to expect S3's confrontation with Kendal to go any different than the end of S1, with Logan reminding Kendal that he's got leverage, and
2. I figured the "they've left it deliberately vague for plot reasons" holding company they mentioned would come up and either his ex-wife or brother Ewan would come back into play. Once they had everyone in Italy for the wedding, I figured that Logan would give them some sort of big cash gift as a wedding present and a way to get back full control.

·
Premium Member
10,613 Posts
If you looked closely at the scene where they all made the decision to go after Logan. Roman rubbed Kendall new shaved head as they were walking out and I think could see Jeremy Strong almost lose it.

Reactions: kaszeta

·
Meh.
42,069 Posts
This is a frustrating show. A lot of it is great. A lot of it is a frustrating waste of time. I watched season 1 when it came out and immediately dropped it after Roman whacked off onto the window. I finally started rewatching during this holiday season and finished season 3 yesterday. There are some absolutely great performances here. Logan and Shiv are by far the best characters. Kendall should have been but once we learn that he's a total screwup then there's no reason to believe that any of his plot machinations will ever succeed. If I were King of Succession, I'd cut 90% of Tom's appearances. He's just a childish, cowardly, useless character. There's no way that a real world Shiv would deal with this sniveling weirdo. Cutting 90% of Tom would also cut 90% of Gregg which is a bonus since he's childish and useless filler. I'd cut 90% of Roman from season 1 and season 2. He has no purpose in those seasons other than spouting obnoxious, extraordinarily puerile quips that the writers think are funny but prove that the writers are incapable of writin comedy. Roman is the COO of a corporate giant but he does absolutely nothing work-wise in those two seasons. He's a COO with apparently no underlings reporting to him on the corporate chart. They somewhat redeemed Roman in season 3. He actually did important, executive corporate stuff in season 3. He was still obnoxious beyond all credulity and should have had his face broken about 12 times but at least he was a functional corporate being. This would be a top, top tier show for me if they would have kept it as a pure drama but they decided to add so much unfunny, useless supposedly comedic, hard to sit through aspects that it really hurt the show, in my opinion.

• Love

·
Meh.
42,069 Posts
Wow. Very surprised at that opinion. I think Tom and Cousin Greg are two of the best parts of the show. Reducing their presence would be a horrible decision, IMO.
It's just my opinion. Tom and Greg are part of the comedic aspects of the show and I think that this show's writers completely suck at comedy. It's mostly d*ck jokes that a fifth grader could write or adults behaving in a cringe inducing manner. The writers are great at writing drama though.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
On Conan O’Brien’s podcast, Kieran Culkin said that originally they wanted him for the part of cousin Greg, but that he wanted the part of Rory Roman and for the audition, he sent them a tape of him doing the part of Rory Roman.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On Conan O’Brien’s podcast, Kieran Culkin said that originally they wanted him for the part of cousin Greg, but that he wanted the part of Rory and for the audition, he sent them a tape of him doing the part of Rory.
Rory = Roman?

·
Premium Member
27,598 Posts
On Conan O’Brien’s podcast, Kieran Culkin said that originally they wanted him for the part of cousin Greg, but that he wanted the part of Rory Roman and for the audition, he sent them a tape of him doing the part of Rory Roman.
For the life of me, I can't see Kieran playing Greg. I'd love to see that audition (I know it doesn't exist).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts