TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I tried to search the forums and I did read the FAQ but
I couldn't find an answer. I have DirecTV and my daughter received
a TIVO dual tuner as a present. I would simply like to hook up her
DirecTV receiver to the TIVO and do a simple VCR like record
(day, time, video input, start, stop)
Is this possible without having to get a subscription for her TIVO?
If I have to get a subscription I will just get another DirecTV TIVO
and sell the dual tuner TIVO.
 

· Lord of Darkness
Joined
·
1,557 Posts
You will need a Tivo Subscription to use the Tivo Series 2 period!

With the older Series 1 Tivo units you could do manual recordings without a Subscription.

So, best bet would be sell it and get a Directv/Tivo unit :D

And welcome to the Forum :D
 

· MoxiDVR
Joined
·
564 Posts
wolflord11 said:
You will need a Tivo Subscription to use the Tivo Series 2 period!

With the older Series 1 Tivo units you could do manual recordings without a Subscription.

So, best bet would be sell it and get a Directv/Tivo unit :D

And welcome to the Forum :D
Even if he gets a Directv/Tivo unit he will still have to pay a subscription. It is paid thru Directv but it is still a subscription.
 

· Lord of Darkness
Joined
·
1,557 Posts
catcard said:
Even if he gets a Directv/Tivo unit he will still have to pay a subscription. It is paid thru Directv but it is still a subscription.
Its called a DVR Fee, and it is $5.99 a Month for unlimited DVR units be they Directv's in house DVR's or Directv/Tivo units.

Since we do not know what the OP's setup is, they may already be paying the DVR Fee. If they have an older Package it would show up as DVR Fee on the Account. If its a Newer Package, the DVR fee is included in the Base Package price.

The OP was asking about a Tivo Series 2. Tivo's cheapest fee is $12.95 a Month for a Three Year Commitment. This can be reduced to $6.95 a Month if they had MSD. Even Tivo's cheapest fee cannot beat Directv's.

And as we all know, Directv/Tivo units are the best of the best for Sat.

Stanley Rohner said:
Get 2 DIRECTV HD DVRs and get rid of the TiVos altogether.
If the OP has HD from Directv, and wants HD Programming, this would be the best option. But you would lose the Tivo interface. You would get the HR20's.

With HD, you could still use the Tivo, but it records in Analog only, so you would lose HD. As Stanley has stated, if you go the HD route, ditch Tivo.
 

· L: 37-35
Joined
·
12,686 Posts
wolflord11 said:
Since we do not know what the OP's setup is, they may already be paying the DVR Fee. If they have an older Package it would show up as DVR Fee on the Account. If its a Newer Package, the DVR fee is included in the Base Package price.
You are correct, I believe the OP already pays the DVR Fee - Keyword below: "another"

sanpablo said:
If I have to get a subscription I will just get another DirecTV TIVO
 

· Lord of Darkness
Joined
·
1,557 Posts
Yes SullyND I do beleive you are correct :D

So if the OP already has a Directv/Tivo unit, they are already paying the DVR Fee, be it seperate on their account, or part of the Base Package.

So adding another Directv/Tivo unit would cost the OP $4.99 a Month for the Mirror Fee. Compared to the cost of adding the Tivo Series 2, the Op is better taking the Directv/Tivo.

Also, this would give the OP another Dual Tuner/Dual Buffer recorder, compared to the Series 2 which is only a Single Tuner. Remember, the Series 2 DT (Dual Tuner) only works as a single Tuner with Sat.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top