TiVo Community Forum banner
121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
Even though I still think the editing team on that show needs to leave some more stuff on the cutting room floor, I was able to suspend my disbeliefs and really did enjoy the last two episodes of the season (aka feature movies) for what they were. Loved the Master of Puppets scene and the escape from the USSR.

So a gigantic seismic/volcanic rift opened up in middle of town along with flowing lava just on the outskirts, we must evacuate everyone to the... nearby high school. lol.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,215 Posts
Noah Schnapp's acting is just ... odd. He's fantastic at showing emotions. Even in S4 he's great at it: the scene in the car where he shows Mike his painting is so impressive. But, the way he delivers lines is so stilted and unrealistic, even in that car scene; it seems like he's acting in a high school play. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

I really enjoyed the season. None of the things carped about here bothered me at all. I was happy with the Russian stuff, I thought it was fun. I didn't mind the jocks story line. I attributed Jason's freak-out and going Rambo to him seeing what Vecna did to Kaleb: witnessing something like that has got to put you on tilt, if you're not already used to it :).

I'm quite sure that if they had gone with "ran out of battery" for why Max's walkman failed people here would have been over the edge in fury about it: it's the key to keeping her alive AND Hawkins and the world from being subsumed by the upside-down and they ... let the batteries run out?!?! Of course she DID replace the batteries periodically. They just didn't show it because... why bother?

In my opinion any amount of Stranger Things (so far) is fine; I don't mind them adding some "padding" as long as it's entertaining. If I get 10 hours of entertaining content instead of 8 hours of entertaining content I call it a win.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,729 Posts
Noah Schnapp's acting is just ... odd. He's fantastic at showing emotions. Even in S4 he's great at it: the scene in the car where he shows Mike his painting is so impressive. But, the way he delivers lines is so stilted and unrealistic, even in that car scene; it seems like he's acting in a high school play. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

I really enjoyed the season. None of the things carped about here bothered me at all. I was happy with the Russian stuff, I thought it was fun. I didn't mind the jocks story line. I attributed Jason's freak-out and going Rambo to him seeing what Vecna did to Kaleb: witnessing something like that has got to put you on tilt, if you're not already used to it :).

I'm quite sure that if they had gone with "ran out of battery" for why Max's walkman failed people here would have been over the edge in fury about it: it's the key to keeping her alive AND Hawkins and the world from being subsumed by the upside-down and they ... let the batteries run out?!?! Of course she DID replace the batteries periodically. They just didn't show it because... why bother?

In my opinion any amount of Stranger Things (so far) is fine; I don't mind them adding some "padding" as long as it's entertaining. If I get 10 hours of entertaining content instead of 8 hours of entertaining content I call it a win.
I think we all like to be amateur critics sometimes :) (most often better critics than the so called "professionals" who half the time did other jobs for their newspaper and suddenly were told, your now our TV critic!!) But anyway, someone will ALWAYS find something to complain about if the episode didn't go the way they wanted/expected it to. It's human nature. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. And while there were aspects of it I would have done differently (if I had any talent!), it was a fun ride for sure.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Of course you picked the one show that the consensus seemed to love, but I didn't and I found plenty of flaws. But like I said, that doesn't mean I'm right or they are (and I'm expecting about 5 of you to say THEY are :) ). But that's my point, not everyone likes everything or agree with the artistic choices made. While writers may write with their audience in mind, that doesn't mean that every choice is going to please everyone. That's impossible.
Taste is somejective. Some have it, some others do not.

·
witless and unarmed
16,773 Posts
Just rewatched all seasons. Such a great show. It definitely has a formula but it works.

Season 4 was the first one that Steve didn’t get beat up. Season 1 Jonathan, Season 2 Billy, Season 3 the Russians.

Also I must have blinked and missed Jason getting cut in half by the gate schism the first time. That seemed unnecessary.

·
witless and unarmed
16,773 Posts
I would surmise that they would think his body went to ash like all the other Russians in the room, thus they didn't know he was alive to be looked for.
But if you had superpowers specifically to find someone and you thought 99.9% chance they are dead you are telling me you wouldn’t use your powers to look just to be sure? I don’t buy it. Unless I’d seen a body I’d want to know for sure if I had the power to do so.

This is a nit and doesn’t really bother me was just amused by it considering how much El’s power is about finding people across the seasons.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I had some issues with the military invading Nina and just gunning down other Americans soldiers. And then the helicopter sniper outright murdering Papa. We're supposed to look at Sullivan as a bad guy and otherwise not think too hard about stuff like that, I guess, but I don't think it plays well.
Were the security guards in the bunker Military? I got the impression they were more Private Security.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I played D&D in college in the early 80s and nobody I knew or any story I read ever associated it with evil. It was a nerd game that the cool kids made fun of us for playing but probably secretly wished they played.
Where did you go to college? But, and more directly, is that college is sort of "out-of-sight-out-of-mind", where high school kids are a different story.

In my suburban Maryland town where I grew up they did have the whole "Is D&D satanic" and such junk going on. I graduated high school in 1981. Our high school D&D club could not be referred to as a "War-games" club, a "D&D" club, but we had to call ourselves the "Historical Simulation Society".

But my town also had a church that burned books and records, and had an anti-abortion guy under the cloak of religion shoot doctors who provided reproductive care through their kitchen windows at night.

So I didn't find the jocks spreading "Satanic" nonsense to be unbelievable.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
According to this article on Buzzfeed, the Eddie Munson character was based on a real person, one of the "West Memphis Three" who was charged and convicted of murder simply because he was into heavy metal and D&D.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts