TiVo Community Forum banner
101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I'm now through ep 6 and this has gotten really good. Started weak, imo, but about ep 3 gained steam and then just got better and better. I like all the switching between the multiple storylines.

Clever to cast Robert Englund as Creel, especially since the killings seem to be modeled somewhat on Nightmare on Elm Street.

Lots of silly fun. Thoroughly enjoying it.

·
Registered
19,066 Posts
I will start by saying I really enjoyed the season and it was my favorite so far. I did have a few nitpicks

1) I totally agree that the high school jocks story was completely unnecessary. Explaining it because he stood on the walkman doesn't justify the minutes spent on it. So many other ways that could have happened
2) I thought episode 4 was so good that the following episodes could not live up to it. Rare for a TV show but I genuinely thought she was going to die right up until she didn't. The following eps felt slightly disappointing because they were not as good as that one
3) Not sure why they decided that episode 9 needed to be so long. There were 2 clear 'fade to black' cut points, exactly where episodes could have been split. I know I can split it up myself but I feel obligated to watch as intended but then my mind really wandered.

Some people think you cannot like a show if you find any issues with it but I loved this season despite it's flaws.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,850 Posts
I will start by saying I really enjoyed the season and it was my favorite so far. I did have a few nitpicks

1) I totally agree that the high school jocks story was completely unnecessary. Explaining it because he stood on the walkman doesn't justify the minutes spent on it. So many other ways that could have happened
2) I thought episode 4 was so good that the following episodes could not live up to it. Rare for a TV show but I genuinely thought she was going to die right up until she didn't. The following eps felt slightly disappointing because they were not as good as that one
3) Not sure why they decided that episode 9 needed to be so long. There were 2 clear 'fade to black' cut points, exactly where episodes could have been split. I know I can split it up myself but I feel obligated to watch as intended but then my mind really wandered.

Some people think you cannot like a show if you find any issues with it but I loved this season despite it's flaws.
I don't know if it was my favorite season (S1 I think has to be), but I enjoyed it, and much like Lost, again the ride might have been better than the payoff at the end. As I said, my major complaint is spending a whole season trying to kill off the main baddie, hatching up elaborate ways to do it, and in the end it's worse, not better. But with S5 looming I'm more OK with it than before I knew there would be a S5.

I've yet to watch a perfect movie or show. I could find flaws in anything and everything. The writers will invariably make a choice I wouldn't. That doesn't mean I'm right or they are.

·
Nerd Fashionista
6,147 Posts
I've yet to watch a perfect movie or show. I could find flaws in anything and everything. The writers will invariably make a choice I wouldn't. That doesn't mean I'm right or they are.
The only show I can say has been perfect for me was Breaking Bad. I don't remember having a single complaint about the show from start to end.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,850 Posts
The only show I can say has been perfect for me was Breaking Bad. I don't remember having a single complaint about the show from start to end.
Of course you picked the one show that the consensus seemed to love, but I didn't and I found plenty of flaws. But like I said, that doesn't mean I'm right or they are (and I'm expecting about 5 of you to say THEY are :) ). But that's my point, not everyone likes everything or agree with the artistic choices made. While writers may write with their audience in mind, that doesn't mean that every choice is going to please everyone. That's impossible.

·
Nerd Fashionista
6,147 Posts
Of course you picked the one show that the consensus seemed to love, but I didn't and I found plenty of flaws. But like I said, that doesn't mean I'm right or they are (and I'm expecting about 5 of you to say THEY are :) ). But that's my point, not everyone likes everything or agree with the artistic choices made. While writers may write with their audience in mind, that doesn't mean that every choice is going to please everyone. That's impossible.
I did not realize you were one of the few that didn't find BB perfection. You're right, tastes vary and that's why there are so many shows out there. Back to Stranger Things, I do have a few comments about the season that sound like complaints, well ARE complaints but not indicative to my overall feelings on the season as a whole. I found the use of tropes to be far higher in the season than previous.
  • Oh the new characters are the only ones to really die. (max doesn't count since she's now alive)
  • Oh look the bad guy is shot out the window and is gone when they go to look out.
  • The helicopter appears at just the exact moment to fly them out of the prison after just barely killing all the Demogorgons!
  • Doesn't matter how gross and how long since a shower/teeth brushing it's been, let's have sex right here in some random location. lol
  • The will they, won't they with Steve and Nancy just for her to stay with Jonathon in the end.
  • Oh look, the girl Robin has been crushing on is doing the same volunteer work as she is and just so happens to have just broken up with her beau
Anyhow, seriously though, I did like the season a ton. I'm really excited to see where they take it for the final round next year.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,003 Posts
The worst thing about this season was the same thing that has been the worst thing about every season - the haircuts. OMG, those haircuts! Worst haircuts in series television history, bar none.
The thing with the haircuts is they kind of made sense when the kids were 13 and it was the early 80s. But now that they're older and it's a few years later, they shouldn't still have those same haircuts. Teenagers change their hairstyles all the time. Why is Will stuck with that ridiculous mop?

·
Registered
36,162 Posts
Plus, the whole premise of the show is based on 11's powers, so the fact that they're not realistic is baked into the concept. But the jocks thinking that D&D players were committing ritualistic Satanic sacrifices was portrayed not as a supernatural element of the story, but as the realistic reactions of the townspeople.
I grew up right around the time this is taking place. D&D kids were nerds in my HS. If anyone was worshiping Satan it was the metal heads/stoners. And they weren't either. On another really popular TV show also set in the 80s D&D bridged the gap between the nerds and the jocks. Were there other parts of the country really viewing D&D players as Satanists?

·
Registered
36,162 Posts

·
Registered
36,162 Posts
We enjoyed the season. Yes some of the stuff they packed in could have been maybe edited out. Like others got annoyed/confused with 3 different locations (At least) and groups of people doing things. But over all enjoyed it.

·
I am Groot!
58,080 Posts
The Goldbergs. On one episode Adam joins up with the jocks to play against his nerd friends. Adam was more popular that year at least in part due him dating one of the hottest girls in HS. Adam's group of friends were similar to the kids in my HS who played D&D.

"The Goldbergs" Dungeons and Dragons, Anyone? (TV Episode 2016) - IMDb
Well, frankly, a show from five years ago doesn't make very good evidence for social attitudes from 30 years ago... ;)

I can assure you, Satanic Panic around D&D was a very big thing in the 80s. There was even the obligatory cautionary TV movie cited above (starring Tom Hanks!) warning of the dangers of D&D.

·
Meh.
40,835 Posts
The Wire. Breaking Bad was excellent but I could find a number of things that I didn't believe were plausible. Everything and everyone in The Wire was essentially true to life.

Nitpick: Eleven's here again, gone again vocabulary bugged me sometimes. There were a number of basic words that she shouldn't have needed explained to her at her age. It's not like nobody had conversations with her when she was with Papa.

·
witless and unarmed
24,960 Posts
Season 4 inspired me to go back and watch the show again from the start and I’m almost through season 2. I think I’ve only seen season 3 once.

I thought Papa had died in season 1 and the last shot was of the demogorgan jumping on him so I guess we didn’t technically see him die.And then in season 2 a former orderly did tell El that Papa is still alive. I don’t remember if it comes up in season 3.

I wonder if Eight is going to come back in any way or if El’s digression to Pittsburgh is something that doesn’t matter in the end game.

The actor who plays Will has consistently been doing the best acting work of the male kids the whole show even as early as S1E1 when he was about to be taken by the demogorgan and he had the rifle and was shaking to being possessed in S2 to his emotional struggles in S4. Feels like He is doing great work even as his character is mostly just for others to play off. I hope he does end up being the key to everything.

In S4 the Upside Down was stuck on the day Will disappeared. At the end of S1 when Hop and Joyce are in the Upside Down they can see where the demogorgan just got Scott bed so it was a real time reflection. So we will have to see if they are just revising the mythology or if something changed to take the Upside Down back to the day of disappearance. I still think this will be critical to the conclusion somehow.

·
witless and unarmed
24,960 Posts
Also the crazy high school boy who shows up at the very end to throw a wrench in things is a repeating bit they do. They turned it a bit on its head in S1 in that Steve showed up to apologize not fight (against stereotype), but he did it then, then Billy in S2, and now Jock dude in S4. I don’t think anyone did it in S3.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts