TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 136 Posts

·
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ
14,672 Posts
For those complaining about the episode lengths the last two are going to be more feature length, Episode 8 will be 1 hour 25 min and episode 9 will be 2 hours 30 min! :eek:

·
randomize
5,125 Posts
For those complaining about the episode lengths the last two are going to be more feature length, Episode 8 will be 1 hour 25 min and episode 9 will be 2 hours 30 min! :eek:

Ep 8 is shorter than ep 7. Ep 7 was/is 1hr 40min. I happened to notice it as I started it. But yeah, I had heard the last ep was movie length.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Then why split the season into two parts?
This way everyone can take a few weeks to get through the first seven episodes and be all caught up when the final two drop. That way it's easier to see the ending without being spoiled if you don't have time to binge watch 9 long episodes all at once; you just have to watch those last two at the same time as everyone else.

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
This way everyone can take a few weeks to get through the first seven episodes and be all caught up when the final two drop. That way it's easier to see the ending without being spoiled if you don't have time to binge watch 9 long episodes all at once; you just have to watch those last two at the same time as everyone else.
Plus Netflix gets to draw viewers on two weekends, not just one.

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
I doubt the second episode, or the third, are going to do much to encourage you
But now that we did push on, episode #4 upped their game quite a bit, encouraging me to somewhat enjoy a couple of more so-so episodes and then I thought it closed very strong with episode 7. After a very rough start and near-bailout, I'm now actually looking forward to the final set.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
I enjoyed this season as a whole, but I think the show peaked in Season 1 and has gone slightly downhill with each additional season. The Hopper stuff, for the most part, was pretty stupid, although it was a nice moment when he finally had the reunion with Joyce. Sadie Sink is definitely the best actor out of all the kids, and I'm happy she got an even meatier role this season. I definitely felt that the season got better as it went along, and it ended on a high note. I'm looking very forward to the conclusion in July.

The one thing that really bugged me this season were the flashbacks to Eleven as a kid because they weren't at all consistent with Season 1. When Eleven first escaped the lab in Season 1, she could barely communicate, and yet she is able to speak English just fine in the flashbacks.

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
When Eleven first escaped the lab in Season 1, she could barely communicate, and yet she is able to speak English just fine in the flashbacks.
Different timeline. This will be all be reconciled in the final episode by flooding everybody with tachyon particles and reverse-sending them through the transporter while cross-circuiting.

·
Excellent.
23,779 Posts
My thoughts after the first two... not sure when I will be able to watch more:
I gave in and re-upped to keep going.

I've now watched through six. Will get to seven in the next couple of days. Some thoughts on 3-6:

The way season three ended was completely logical: of course Joyce would take custody of El, and of course she'd want to get her family the heck out of Hawkins. The problem is that Stranger Things Stuff happens in Hawkins, which means that season four is going to involve bringing them right back. Or, bringing them slowly back, which is the option the Duffers have chosen. Is that what people want from Stranger Things? There have been a few enjoyments in this plot thread -- the single-take shootout at the Byers house was well done, and the scene where the boys realized they needed to get back and help save the day is the sort of the thing the show does so well -- but is what we want to watch Mike, Will, and Charlie road-tripping to Salt Lake to visit Susie, a character that wasn't beloved enough from the last season to really need a curtain call? And once there, of course having a wacky side-adventure inside her house? All of this is basically no worse than pleasant, and even fitfully entertaining, but it's filler. As I keep saying, one of the great pleasures of the show is the characters it has created, and the show has earned the right to luxuriate in their presence even if it means creating side arcs to do so. But this one, so far at least, could be almost entirely skipped and the entire plot of the season would still make perfect sense. Given how much time we've spent with the California arc, that seems like a problem.

Eleven. It's a bit the same with Eleven. It feels a bit like the Duffers don't know how to write for this character anymore, so they've gone back to the well of the lab. El will get her powers back, and will we have learned anything along the way? Will she? It doesn't feel like it. Again, the snow has earned the right to tell its story the way it wants to tell it, but shouldn't more stuff feel like it will end up mattering?

Now that we're closer to a Demogorgon in the Russian jail, I'm feeling better about the Hopper side of things. And while I'm still happy that the show continues to give Joyce agency instead of making her a victim, I still roll my eyes at most of her misadventures with Murray. And now they're going to walk into the prison and free Hopper? We'll see how that plays out, but it feels, um, improbable.

I've done some griping about all the above, but while that mostly represents impatience, I haven't actively disliked any of that. The vengeful jocks arc, meanwhile, I find outright bad.

Going back an episode or two:

Great stuff with Max being possessed by Vecna and the other kids saving her. Again, the strength of the show. I think one accidental effect, though, of Max spending that time in the Upside Down, and Vecna talking to her so much, is that he has stated to seem kind of ridiculous. The demogorgon in season one was way scarier than Vecna is at this point, no? Steve getting pulled into the Upside Down and attacked by those bat things was much scarier than if instead, Vecna had walked up and gone "Steeeeeve..."

After Freddie was killed, when Nancy was talking to the police, Steve, Robin, Dustin, and Max pulled up in Steve's car and got out, looking at her. Nancy saw them and Natalia Dyer let a relieved smile cross her face: "Here are the people I really need." Loved that.

As far as the Hawkins side of things goes generally, I think these episodes have done a good job of the kids logically figuring out what is going on and uncovering clues. That part has been well=plotted.

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
Made it through the season, because I wanted to see where the story was going to go. But man, that was a chore to watch. They really could have left a lot more on the cutting room floor. Just because digital video lets you collect more footage and add more CGI cheaper than ever before, doesn't mean you should.

·
Registered
19,092 Posts
Wow I am surprised, or maybe not, I LOVED this season, eps 4 & 7 were 2 of the best tv eps I can remember watching. This also seems to be the consensus with my real life friends and the online reviewers that I read.

I was frustrated about not being able to join this thread due to spoilers but I missed nothing (cmontyburns excepted) ☹

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
Wow I am surprised, or maybe not, I LOVED this season, eps 4 & 7 were 2 of the best tv eps I can remember watching. This also seems to be the consensus with my real life friends and the online reviewers that I read.

I was frustrated about not being able to join this thread due to spoilers but I missed nothing (cmontyburns excepted) ☹
Hey, great news all around. We aim to please in this thread. Have a great Sunday!

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
Plus Netflix gets to draw viewers on two weekends, not just one.
Not just two different weekends, but two different weekends in two different Emmy eligibility periods.
I gave in and re-upped to keep going.

I've done some griping about all the above, but while that mostly represents impatience, I haven't actively disliked any of that. The vengeful jocks arc, meanwhile, I find outright bad.
Totally agree with this. Especially after the main jock saw his friend lifted up and killed the same way Chrissy was killed. Shouldn't he realize at that point that maybe Eddie has nothing to do with it? Having him go all in on the satan worship stuff was just tedious.
As far as the Hawkins side of things goes generally, I think these episodes have done a good job of the kids logically figuring out what is going on and uncovering clues. That part has been well=plotted.
Well, I do feel like Dustin just kind of jumps to the correct conclusion most of the time when in reality nobody would have any clue about any of this stuff.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
We finally got caught up with all 7 episodes- our thoughts are pretty consistent with everyone else on here. I still think Season 1 is the best by far.

Season 4 is just too bloated, convoluted, and all over the place. We were completely sick of the whole Russia subplot early on, and it just dragged forever

And I have to say this- I know this is a sci-fi/horror/fantasy show and you have to suspend almost all disbelief when watching a show like this- but it is almost comical at this point how smart and brave these kids, and almost every single character in the show, is. I am almost rolling my eyes at times. We were joking last night that I don't think even the Avengers could defeat these kids in a battle- lol. But I get it- you have to suspend disbelief- but it is incredible what these kids pull off and figure out.

Will have to see how they stick the landing to completely judge the season I guess. But for me season 4 will at best be the 2nd best season (behind season 1)

I will say that I thought S4E4 may have been the very best episode of the entire series, and episode 7 was pretty great too.

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
And I have to say this- I know this is a sci-fi/horror/fantasy show and you have to suspend almost all disbelief when watching a show like this- but it is almost comical at this point how smart and brave these kids, and almost every single character in the show, is. I am almost rolling my eyes at times. We were joking last night that I don't think even the Avengers could defeat these kids in a battle- lol. But I get it- you have to suspend disbelief- but it is incredible what these kids pull off and figure out.
There's a sci-fi/fantasy trope that this show has bought into from the beginning, at first subtly but over time it's gotten out of hand. That's the idea that sci-fi/fantasy fans, by virtue of their reading and knowledge, are far more capable when unexpectedly thrust into sci-fi/fantasy situations than normal people are.

(As if knowledge equals competence...which, if true, would make geeks a lot more powerful in real life than we they actually are. ;))

·
Kermie Loves Elmo
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
I finished the 7th episode last night. I hated the first episode but felt it got better through to 7. I did think the whole Russian thing could have been left out. It was like a different show, it was so disconnected. I think they just didn't know what to do with Joyce. Also, the basketball team turned to town mob mentality was just unnecessary too. How ridiculous that a high school kid can rile up a town into a cult frenzy about the devil and ridiculous talk about the D&D group. It just could have been left out.

I still don't know how they figure that a spinning compass means there is a portal. Was that in a previous season? I also think the characters all adjusted to the upside down pretty easily.

It was nice to see Barb again, tho. NEVER FORGET!

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,135 Posts
How ridiculous that a high school kid can rile up a town into a cult frenzy about the devil and ridiculous talk about the D&D group. It just could have been left out.
Apparently you never lived in the town I grew up in. I got stories.

It was nice to see Barb again, tho. NEVER FORGET!
Dollars to donuts her death is undone by the series finale (or at very least she's a ghost and they get to say cute goodbyes).

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
At the start of Episode 7 we had all these different groups we had to keep track of and continue to check in on:
El (in the underground desert bunker)
Dustin/Max/Lucas/Erica (in Hawkins)
Nancy/Steve/Robin/Eddie (in the Upside Down)
Mike/Will/Jonathan/Stoner (in Utah, heading for Nevada)
Hopper and Jaqen H'ghar (in the Siberian gulag)
Joyce/Murray/Yuri (in the middle of nowhere, Siberia)

Typically, as a story starts to reach a climax, they'll get try to consolidate the different plot threads to a more tight, cohesive story. I guess they kind of did that with Dustin and crew figuring out how to pull the others from the Upside Down, and with Joyce and Murray infiltrating the gulag. But overall, it seems that the plot threads of this season are still way too spread out. We've got characters in Russia, Indiana, and Nevada and somehow they need to all get back together to make for a satisfying ending to the season. It just seems a little unwieldly.

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
At the start of Episode 7 we had all these different groups we had to keep track of and continue to check in on:
El (in the underground desert bunker)
Dustin/Max/Lucas/Erica (in Hawkins)
Nancy/Steve/Robin/Eddie (in the Upside Down)
Mike/Will/Jonathan/Stoner (in Utah, heading for Nevada)
Hopper and Jaqen H'ghar (in the Siberian gulag)
Joyce/Murray/Yuri (in the middle of nowhere, Siberia)

Typically, as a story starts to reach a climax, they'll get try to consolidate the different plot threads to a more tight, cohesive story. I guess they kind of did that with Dustin and crew figuring out how to pull the others from the Upside Down, and with Joyce and Murray infiltrating the gulag. But overall, it seems that the plot threads of this season are still way too spread out. We've got characters in Russia, Indiana, and Nevada and somehow they need to all get back together to make for a satisfying ending to the season. It just seems a little unwieldly.
Maybe they're not setting up the end of this season, but rather the end of the series in Season 5..? So a little bang in the final two episodes this year to set up the big bang next season...

21 - 40 of 136 Posts