TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
witless and unarmed
16,793 Posts
Enjoyed the season! I was most bored by El in the lab and didn’t pay much attention during those scenes and then regretted it after the big reveal lol.

The other big reveal that didn’t get tied up this season and thus I suspect will be huge in the final season is that the Upside Down is stuck in time on the day Will disappeared. That seemed too meaningful to go nowhere. I hope it doesn’t mean some sort of ending that resets the timeline, because then it nullifies everything we, and the characters, have been through. Gives me shades of End Game fear. I hope they do something cooler.

I also feel like they pulled their punches for the most part on character deaths. We’ve yet to lose someone we really care about.

I generally don’t like how much every season they have to split off into different groups and plots but the cast is so big you can’t have them all together all the time. At least they do a pretty good job of having them all meaningfully contribute to the final showdown.

Last thought this felt like their Empire Strikes Back moment - the hero defeated, another hero in a coma, the bad guy won.

·
witless and unarmed
16,793 Posts
Season 4 inspired me to go back and watch the show again from the start and I’m almost through season 2. I think I’ve only seen season 3 once.

I thought Papa had died in season 1 and the last shot was of the demogorgan jumping on him so I guess we didn’t technically see him die.And then in season 2 a former orderly did tell El that Papa is still alive. I don’t remember if it comes up in season 3.

I wonder if Eight is going to come back in any way or if El’s digression to Pittsburgh is something that doesn’t matter in the end game.

The actor who plays Will has consistently been doing the best acting work of the male kids the whole show even as early as S1E1 when he was about to be taken by the demogorgan and he had the rifle and was shaking to being possessed in S2 to his emotional struggles in S4. Feels like He is doing great work even as his character is mostly just for others to play off. I hope he does end up being the key to everything.

In S4 the Upside Down was stuck on the day Will disappeared. At the end of S1 when Hop and Joyce are in the Upside Down they can see where the demogorgan just got Scott bed so it was a real time reflection. So we will have to see if they are just revising the mythology or if something changed to take the Upside Down back to the day of disappearance. I still think this will be critical to the conclusion somehow.

·
witless and unarmed
16,793 Posts
Also the crazy high school boy who shows up at the very end to throw a wrench in things is a repeating bit they do. They turned it a bit on its head in S1 in that Steve showed up to apologize not fight (against stereotype), but he did it then, then Billy in S2, and now Jock dude in S4. I don’t think anyone did it in S3.

·
witless and unarmed
16,793 Posts
Just rewatched all seasons. Such a great show. It definitely has a formula but it works.

Season 4 was the first one that Steve didn’t get beat up. Season 1 Jonathan, Season 2 Billy, Season 3 the Russians.

Also I must have blinked and missed Jason getting cut in half by the gate schism the first time. That seemed unnecessary.

·
witless and unarmed
16,793 Posts
I would surmise that they would think his body went to ash like all the other Russians in the room, thus they didn't know he was alive to be looked for.
But if you had superpowers specifically to find someone and you thought 99.9% chance they are dead you are telling me you wouldn’t use your powers to look just to be sure? I don’t buy it. Unless I’d seen a body I’d want to know for sure if I had the power to do so.

This is a nit and doesn’t really bother me was just amused by it considering how much El’s power is about finding people across the seasons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts