TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Meh.
43,308 Posts
Smeeking... I watched the first episode. It was obvious that they wanted to make the show edgier as they are now in high school but I didn't like it. Frankly, I thought the first episode pretty much sucked except for the spooky Chrissy part at the end. I didn't like the drug dealing, Dungeons and Dragons guy at all. Plus, he looked like he was closer to getting his Social Security check than getting his high school diploma. I'll give the second episode a shot but if I'm still "Meh." about it, it'll be a little while before I do the third episode.

·
Meh.
43,308 Posts
I doubt the second episode, or the third, are going to do much to encourage you. This cast & creators have some credentials with me, and I'm pushing on; but I'm beginning to have that "Battlestar Galactica" feeling that the first couple of seasons (fluke or whatever) were all there is.
I actually mostly liked the second episode so I'm getting ready to do the third one in a couple of minutes.

·
Meh.
43,308 Posts
I ended up binging the rest of the available episodes yesterday. I'd give it a C overall and I'm disappointed in that rating. It would have been better if it had concentrated on the interesting parts of the story. The good parts were very good but there were too many subplots that I didn't care about. The main subplot of the kids learning about Vecna and tracking him down was excellent. However, the Hopper subplot seemed like something extra thrown in so that the four main actors involved in it could get a paycheck. I had no interest in seeing Hopper being brutalized over and over. The prison yard fight with the demon was well done, though. Even worse was the inclusion of the bullying high school students. Frankly, I was cheering El on when she went upside that bully girl's head with the skate and hoped she's hit her again. Her star athlete boyfriend was another hated character that I wished would get off my tv asap. Hopefully, their roles will be vastly reduced in part two of the season. Once El separated from the group, her subplot dragged on and on until the end reveal.

There are a ton of good teenaged actors out there. It always bugs me when a show or movie hires young actors who look closer to 30 than to 16 or 17. I was constantly distracted by how out of character that Eddie and the star basketball player whose name I can't remember looked in their roles. The actor playing Ediie is 29 years old for cryin' out loud.

·
Meh.
43,308 Posts
It wasn't a big deal for me but if I ran Netflix I would have delayed dropping this series for a week because of the Uvalde school massacre. They displayed a disclaimer before the first episode so it's not like they didn't know it happened.

There are only two episodes left? Then why split the season into two parts? Also, the episodes ran 20 - 30 minutes longer than most shows' 40-ish minute lengths. They could have just shifted that extra episode length into extra episodes.

·
Meh.
43,308 Posts
Papa's death reminded me of scenes in comedies when you think someone is dead but they suddenly pop up and exclaim "Not dead yet!" and continue talking. I'm glad that El didn't forgive him.

They could have skipped the entire Russian subplot. It was relatively meaningless and added very little to the story. About the only people who were probably happy with those scenes were the actors who got paid for them. Breaking the cast into three separate, non-interacting groups and having Eleven on her own for most of this season was not a good idea.

Having a teenager threaten another teenager with a gun was not a good thing. The 35 year old looking high school jock and his entire vengeful subplot was another chunk of the season that should have been left on the editing floor.

I wasn't a fan of Eddie but at least he died a hero's death. A dumb hero's death but still, a hero's death.

I'm mad at Eleven for needing a pep talk from Mike to Hulk up before saving Max.

Hopefully, the Duffer Brothers learned that bigger isn't necessarily better. They should have created a more streamlined, cohesive story. I give the season 2.5 stars out of a possible 4.

I rewatched the first four episodes of season 1 last night. The kids were much more charming and fun when they were little. I must have blanked out the cussing from my memories of that season. I thought the more adult talk was something they introduced this current season to show the kids growing up as teenagers but no, they were cussing in season one.

·
Meh.
43,308 Posts
One thing I really disliked about this entire season was the boys' wigs. I know they wanted the boys to have late 80s-ish hairstyles but their hair stylists couldn't comb the young male actors' actual hair into a believable 80s style? Mike's, Eddie's and Pizza Dude's wigs looked ridiculous and were so obviously wig-ish to distraction.

·
Meh.
43,308 Posts
I played D&D in college in the early 80s and nobody I knew or any story I read ever associated it with evil. It was a nerd game that the cool kids made fun of us for playing but probably secretly wished they played.

·
Meh.
43,308 Posts
Warning: The Daily Beast is a left leaning website. This article doesn't mention politics at all but you shouldn't click onto any other links on that page if your personal political view is different.

·
Meh.
43,308 Posts
The only show I can say has been perfect for me was Breaking Bad. I don't remember having a single complaint about the show from start to end.
The Wire. Breaking Bad was excellent but I could find a number of things that I didn't believe were plausible. Everything and everyone in The Wire was essentially true to life.

Nitpick: Eleven's here again, gone again vocabulary bugged me sometimes. There were a number of basic words that she shouldn't have needed explained to her at her age. It's not like nobody had conversations with her when she was with Papa.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts