TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
Plus Netflix gets to draw viewers on two weekends, not just one.
Not just two different weekends, but two different weekends in two different Emmy eligibility periods.
I gave in and re-upped to keep going.

I've done some griping about all the above, but while that mostly represents impatience, I haven't actively disliked any of that. The vengeful jocks arc, meanwhile, I find outright bad.
Totally agree with this. Especially after the main jock saw his friend lifted up and killed the same way Chrissy was killed. Shouldn't he realize at that point that maybe Eddie has nothing to do with it? Having him go all in on the satan worship stuff was just tedious.
As far as the Hawkins side of things goes generally, I think these episodes have done a good job of the kids logically figuring out what is going on and uncovering clues. That part has been well=plotted.
Well, I do feel like Dustin just kind of jumps to the correct conclusion most of the time when in reality nobody would have any clue about any of this stuff.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
At the start of Episode 7 we had all these different groups we had to keep track of and continue to check in on:
El (in the underground desert bunker)
Dustin/Max/Lucas/Erica (in Hawkins)
Nancy/Steve/Robin/Eddie (in the Upside Down)
Mike/Will/Jonathan/Stoner (in Utah, heading for Nevada)
Hopper and Jaqen H'ghar (in the Siberian gulag)
Joyce/Murray/Yuri (in the middle of nowhere, Siberia)

Typically, as a story starts to reach a climax, they'll get try to consolidate the different plot threads to a more tight, cohesive story. I guess they kind of did that with Dustin and crew figuring out how to pull the others from the Upside Down, and with Joyce and Murray infiltrating the gulag. But overall, it seems that the plot threads of this season are still way too spread out. We've got characters in Russia, Indiana, and Nevada and somehow they need to all get back together to make for a satisfying ending to the season. It just seems a little unwieldly.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
There are two answers to these questions, and both of them are money. As others have said, splitting off the last two episodes means an extra month of subscriber revenue from viewers (like me) who were just re-upping to watch. (There is probably a secondary benefit of giving post-production on the last two episodes a bit of extra time.)
Don't forget that the 2021-2022 Emmy eligibility period ends June 30, so by extending these last two episodes into July, they get the show and cast eligible for two different Emmy periods (assuming S5 won't be ready before July 1, 2023).

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
I enjoyed these episodes, but there were too many different subplots going on at the same time.

I wonder what happened when David Harbour asked what was going on with his character, and they said he's in a Russian jail.

Again???????

-smak-
Yeah, kind of crazy and coincidental that Harbour plays two different characters in two different properties within the span of a year that has to break out of a secret Soviet Siberian gulag.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
I had some issues with the military invading Nina and just gunning down other Americans soldiers. And then the helicopter sniper outright murdering Papa. We're supposed to look at Sullivan as a bad guy and otherwise not think too hard about stuff like that, I guess, but I don't think it plays well.
My main thought on this scene is that the helicopter sniper radios down and says they've spotted El and asks if he can take the shot. Sullivan says to take it. Then there's a good 4-5 minutes with the sniper trying to kill El, then El making the helicopter crash, then the van shows up and everyone hugs and reminisces, then Papa undoes the collar and El goes over and has her final moment with him, then everyone piles in the van and drives away. And ONLY THEN do Sullivan and the rest of the soldiers come out to see what's going on. If the whole point of storming the NINA compound was to find El, and if the chopper said they'd spotted her and were given permission to kill her, why did Sullivan take so long to come out and see how things played out? That was really stupid and seemed like one of those situations where they suspend time for all the rest of the secondary characters so the main characters can have a poignant moment. But . . .
I wonder if Papa's death was intended to be poignant. The way it was shot and scored suggested the Duffers wanted us to feel something -- or maybe, something other than happiness -- at his death. I did not. I was quite glad that when he asked Eleven for absolution at the end, she refused to give it to him.
I agree that they seemed to have some kind of reverence for Papa, when in fact he was always a villain and his death should not have been treated as some kind of heartbreaking thing. El called him a monster, and that's what he was.
Yes, the vengeful jock plot line was very much needed.
Wondering if this was supposed to say "unnecessary." Otherwise, it seems you're agreeing with nobody else, and if so, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on why that plot line was needed. I feel like they could have completely cut out the jocks and the "Hellfire is a satanic cult" bits and it wouldn't have lessened the story one bit. In fact, it may have made it even better, since once Jason saw his buddy get lifted up out of the lake and killed in the same way Chrissy was, and saw that it couldn't have been Eddie that did it, the rest of his scenes where he's still pissed at Eddie for no reason just made him look really stubborn and stupid and constantly took me out of the show.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
I think it is totally and completely believable that seeing his friend die in a supernatural way in close proximity to Eddie after already believing Eddie is the leader of a satanic cult would entirely affirm your belief that Eddie is responsible.
Except that if Eddie had that power, and Jock Dude was trying to kill him, why wouldn't he just use that power against Jock Dude to protect himself?

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
11's superpowers are far less cartoonish than the jocks' anti-Satanism antics... ;)
Plus, the whole premise of the show is based on 11's powers, so the fact that they're not realistic is baked into the concept. But the jocks thinking that D&D players were committing ritualistic Satanic sacrifices was portrayed not as a supernatural element of the story, but as the realistic reactions of the townspeople.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
The worst thing about this season was the same thing that has been the worst thing about every season - the haircuts. OMG, those haircuts! Worst haircuts in series television history, bar none.
The thing with the haircuts is they kind of made sense when the kids were 13 and it was the early 80s. But now that they're older and it's a few years later, they shouldn't still have those same haircuts. Teenagers change their hairstyles all the time. Why is Will stuck with that ridiculous mop?

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
According to this article on Buzzfeed, the Eddie Munson character was based on a real person, one of the "West Memphis Three" who was charged and convicted of murder simply because he was into heavy metal and D&D.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts