TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Kermie Loves Elmo
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, So I only watched the first episode. Wow. That was bad! Too many things going on with too many characters with too many I didn't know. Short scenes. Music playing over everything. It really was a big mess. Ugh....

·
Kermie Loves Elmo
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will need to resubscribe to watch the season. My plan had been to wait until early June to do that, so I could see both parts of the season in a one-month-then-cancel-again term. However, I watched episode one with a friend last night and am curious enough about what's next that I may change that plan.

I didn't think it was bad, but there was certainly an element of the Duffer Brothers being high on their own supply. Most of the reviews have mentioned how unnecessarily long the episodes are, and I indeed thought this one could have been trimmed by at least ten minutes and lost nothing. Also a lot of jump cuts and sound effects turned up to 11.

I'm curious what characters you didn't know. The only brand new character -- which is to say, new person in the show who clearly will have a plot line of his own, vs. supporting/background filler -- is the dungeon master guy. Everyone else, I believe, are characters we already knew from past seasons.

One thing I found distracting is how much the kids have grown up. Not anybody's fault, obviously; but with all of them having gone through puberty in the three years since the show last aired, but this season being set only six months after the last, the difference is jarring. I wish the Duffers had opted to retool their story so the season could be set at least a year or two after the last. It make it a lot easier to accept that characters like Jonathan, who looks like he should have a mortgage and two kids, are still in high school. (Charlie Heaton is 26 or 27.) Or, for that matter, that the dungeon master guy is. (At least for him, the show suggested that he's on his third try at being a senior.)

Sadie Sink's Max has been my favorite character for a while, and I think Sink may be the best actor among the kids on the show. I have a feeling they're going to be leaning on her dramatic chops this season.

Vecna? Not scared yet, although the cheerleader's death was definitely gruesome. Yowch.
I didn’t know the other basketball guy or the cheerleader, plus the mean kids group and the D&D friends. Maybe they needed to focus more and not throw everyone and the kitchen since in all at once. It’s been a while since the last season and I didn’t rewatch it since it came out.

I wanted more Winona. :)

·
Kermie Loves Elmo
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
I finished the 7th episode last night. I hated the first episode but felt it got better through to 7. I did think the whole Russian thing could have been left out. It was like a different show, it was so disconnected. I think they just didn't know what to do with Joyce. Also, the basketball team turned to town mob mentality was just unnecessary too. How ridiculous that a high school kid can rile up a town into a cult frenzy about the devil and ridiculous talk about the D&D group. It just could have been left out.

I still don't know how they figure that a spinning compass means there is a portal. Was that in a previous season? I also think the characters all adjusted to the upside down pretty easily.

It was nice to see Barb again, tho. NEVER FORGET!

·
Kermie Loves Elmo
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I just finished it. I'm glad I stuck with it as the first episode really turned me off almost to the point of not watching any more episodes.

I do still think the basketball team vengeance thing was unnecessary and didn't add a thing to the story. If it wasn't there it would have made zero difference.

Why aren't these kids suffering from massive PTSD every moment of every day? I guess that would not be much of a show, then. :)

Anyway, i really enjoyed it overall. I feel bad for Steve because he feels like better choice.

·
Kermie Loves Elmo
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I think he was being sarcastic.

I agree that having the jocks see their buddy killed was a misstep inside a misstep. It's one thing if you believe people are in a Satanic cult and are the ones harming other people ritualistically as part of their practice. It's quite another if you actually see "Satanic" phenomena. Are you actually going to blame the people at that point, like, oh OK, demons are actually real, who knew, but I'm still mad at you for summoning them? Or is your entire worldview going to be completely blown? Eddie saw Chrissy die and could barely function afterwards. Jason saw his friend die the same way and... blamed Eddie? No way.
Their whole story was just filler and not needed. They could have done a million different things to stop Lucas from saving Max and it would have resulted in a tighter story.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts