TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping a friend with a sick TiVo that she bought many many years ago (on my advice). It's one of the AT&T models, and shuts off after about 10 min of use. She says she called TiVo, and they couldn't help her with it, since it was an AT&T box.

What's the current status of support for these? Can she swap it out for a refurb, and keep her lifetime? Will TiVo sell her one of the dual tuners for $299 with her lifetime?

Thanks!

·
Hubcaps r in fashion
7,486 Posts
I'm a little limited in knowledge on just how many different companies have produced machines for TiVo.

Are you saying there's an actual TiVo with the AT&T logo on it, or are you saying there's a problem with an AT&T DVR (which this website isn't for)?

A TiVo is only a TiVo if it's a TiVo. :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, back in the day, AT&T did produce some branded Series 1 TiVo boxes, as did Sony and Phillips. it is most definitely a TiVo. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Er yeah, Series 2, I couldn't remember, it's been sooo long. :)

We just solved it, we punched the serial into the $299 Dual Tuner deal, and it accepted it to upgrade her to that. She's happy with that solution, it keeps her lifetime, and gives her a better box, so all is solved.

·
Go Pats!
9,583 Posts
I would also try and see what type of temp readings you have on the AT&T model. I believe that model has an exhuast and inflow hole on the bottom next to each other. If it is shutting off because of high temps (I am assuming the fan is working), you can do the "rolled paper trick".....roll up a piece of construction paper, slide it under the unit, let it expand, and then you have a barrier between the intake and outlofw vent.

The reason I mention this is that I have heard of other AT&T TiVos that still function as a good manual recording unit even after the box was cancelled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts