TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else having this problem with their HDTiVo? Not all the time, but usually if I haven't changed channels or tuners in a while I got a very load static sounding pop from the Denon 3802 receiver. Its load enough where my wife jumps and the dogs fly off the couch. I've switched optical cables, but the problem persists.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

HELP - HELP - HELP

Please go to my latest post in this thread and comply with instructions there. Thanks.

Latest

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same problem as well....mine usually happens when I switch tuners....any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I started having this problem over the weekend. Since it was happening very little, and had not noticed it after having used it for two weeks, I thought it might be channel related. I did not think twice about it, until I saw this thread. I will have to take a closer look at my setup.

Then again, yesterday was the first day I ran it with dual tuners. I finally got around to running a second line from the dish.

The other item was that I was watching shows with Dolby digital.

I will take a closer look to see if I can narrow it down to either one of those.

·
Registered
690 Posts
mine pops when I hit the fast forward button twice really fast. the 2nd button press makes it pop.

I noticed because i began recording mtv videos and i usually zoom past commercials and video repeats.

try it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm getting this popping also, with an Onkyo SR600 receiver. I get it when switching to a Dolby Digital channel, doesn't matter if local (atsc) or Sat channel, it pops if it is Dolby. Switching back an forth between PCM sat channels is fine.

Ron

·
Registered
79 Posts
I get it too.

I'm using a Pioneer Elite VSX49TX receiver. When I have the Tivo set to output Dolby Digital audio I get a loud static clap whenever the channel changes from a Digital broadcast to an PCM analog broadcast and vice-versa. It mutes the receiver and I have to click to another input and then back again to restore audio. I'm forced to set the Tivo to only output analog audio all the time. Not a great solution.

It is a problem with the Tivo as any other digital device hooked up through the same cabling and inputs works great. Only the HD/Tivo is a problem.

Oh...and by the way. DirecTV has never heard of this issue. Call them and see.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also have an Onkyo SR-600. Same problem as nornelso.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the issue mostly when changing channels (I guess it is a DD issue since I usually notice it on HDNet and Discovery). I have a 3802.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ill take a stab at guessing what it could be:

Undecoded Dolby Digital signal. Purhaps while changing channels, some of the audio doesnt get decoded and a loud static pop is heard. I remember this was happening when NBC/HDNet first started messing with 5.1 and the Olympics. This is the only thing that really sound familiar as far as how you all describe it.

Just a guess.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Problem seems to be worse. It happens even after I stop FF/REW. I called DirecTV and they're sending me a new unit.

If it works, I'll swap out my drives since I've already upgraded and don't want to lose my recordings.

I'll report here if this solves the problem.

1 - 20 of 291 Posts