TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
All About Footwork
Joined
·
31,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
IndyJones1023 said:
Well, Rodney's jumper had previous sustained damage and was repaired by regular old ordinary humans.
dear Atlantis apologist:

it was the windshield that broke... :p

:D
 

·
Auteur
Joined
·
54,460 Posts
Anubys said:
dear Atlantis apologist:

it was the windshield that broke... :p

:D
I know, but the right pod was damaged. Much like being t-boned in your car, it can make the frame wonky. When they hit the water, it could have exacerbated the structural damage causing the weakened windshield to eventually crack under the pressure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
The fact that this thing went as deep as it did is pretty impressive. At 1200 feet, that's over 500 PSI... that window is, what, 24 square feet (just a guess)?

That's well over 10 million pounds of pressure. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.
 

·
All About Footwork
Joined
·
31,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
IndyJones1023 said:
I know, but the right pod was damaged. Much like being t-boned in your car, it can make the frame wonky. When they hit the water, it could have exacerbated the structural damage causing the weakened windshield to eventually crack under the pressure.
I saved the last argument for last: the non-damaged pod also had the same tolerances...a current-day human rigged it so it goes deeper...

as for the "1,200 feet is impressive" argument (by MassD)...it's not even impressive for current-day earth!

game. set. match?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,713 Posts
Anubys said:
I saved the last argument for last: the non-damaged pod also had the same tolerances...a current-day human rigged it so it goes deeper...

as for the "1,200 feet is impressive" argument (by MassD)...it's not even impressive for current-day earth!

game. set. match?
It's pretty impressive for a space ship that happens to have limited submersible abilities. After all a sheet of glass* is about the least pressure resistant form available, and that was a really big windshield.

Compare that to the deep diving modern subs which are based on spheres (handle compression really well), and have very small circular, very thick portholes.

I guarantee the jumpers are much more impressive underwater that a modern day space ship. :)

*or anything else.
 

·
...I'm not.
Joined
·
19,136 Posts
Remember, even if the jumper was intended for underwater use, that wasn't its primary function. Most of the design considerations would have been geared toward space and/or atmospheric flight, which is what it's used for 99% of the time. IMHO I doubt jumpers were really designed for sustained underwater exploration; they just added submersible elements for emergency situations (like this!), and because they could do so relatively easily. IOW, it was an afterthought.
 

·
All About Footwork
Joined
·
31,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I just spoke to an ancient...he agrees with me that this is a terrible oversight on their part and is a design flaw...

ancient said:
yep. we're smarter than that...we fixed the problem with shuttle V2.3 that could go to 10,000 meters. We used the design that Scotty created when he transported the whales to the future.
I guess we can put this argument to rest...
 
41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top