TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very old-school vibe. Even with the crew being tossed around the bridge when hit, it was corny fun.

I’m enjoying Anson as Pike and getting used to his beardless face.

·
Kermie Loves Elmo
8,088 Posts
I liked this much more than the 1st episode. I hope they keep them working together and not have 1 person save the day/universe all the time. :)

I like Pike and the actor does a good job with it, too.

I still wish the hallways weren't so shiny/reflective, tho. :)

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Definitely loving it. Very much in the spirit of the STAR TREK I fell in love with in the mid 60-s as a kid.

Pike and Number One are incredible, both the characters and the actors behind them.
I swear I'm hearing a young Leonard Nimoy when Ethen Peck voices Spock.
Uhura is a blast, Celia Rose seems to be having a ton of fun with the character.
The new Enterprise exteriors are incredible, love the details.
As an aside.. the scene in episode 1 where the kids are drawing the Enterprise in their classroom brought back memories from my childhood... I used to spend a lot of my classroom time doodling pictures of The Enterprise.

So far only a limited number of gripes.
Biggest one is that the interiors of the ship are too plush. The captain's quarters are just way too big, and a fireplace???
I certainly wouldn't espouse going back to the drab grey walls painted with lights from the low budget 1960s, but this is a government spacecraft where, even in the 2300s, space and other commodities would be limited, and prioritized towards mission not luxury.

And I wish the opening theme music was a bit closer to the original opening theme... too many variations going on.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,617 Posts
So far only a limited number of gripes.
Biggest one is that the interiors of the ship are too plush. The captain's quarters are just way too big, and a fireplace???
I certainly wouldn't espouse going back to the drab grey walls painted with lights from the low budget 1960s, but this is a government spacecraft where, even in the 2300s, space and other commodities would be limited, and prioritized towards mission not luxury.
One of my favorite shows (other than the current Halo series) to show "military" ships was Space Above and Beyond, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be streaming at the moment.

Reactions: PJO1966

·
Just a boring dude
32,091 Posts
This is right up there on my list of favorite Trek shows. DS9 still holds the top spot for me but this has been damn good so far.

·
Time for a new Title
27,864 Posts
I know it doesn't really mean a lot since the Star Trek that we've had in the past 10 years has been pretty sub-par...but that's the best bit of Star Trek I've seen in a LONG time. I still feel like the ship is too nice, the interiors too large, and everything (especially the bridge) is too flashy. But if I put those things aside, Children of the Comet was everything that Star Trek should be.

While I want to sit here and sing the praises of how they're handling Uhura (which I still might--she's my favorite character on a show full of great characters), what really stands out for me from these first two episodes is how this crew is a team. I've led a great team in the past, and it's a dynamic that is tough to capture. It's easy for a writer to fall into a trap of "The person in the center seat is in charge" and try to call that a team. But a good team works together naturally--the leader does lead, but they don't just boss people around.

·
I am Groot!
62,803 Posts
And it's nice to see the captain sending people off on missions, instead of always leading them himself (they do still fall into the trap of Away Teams consisting almost entirely of command staff, but I guess that's pretty much inevitable with the realities of Hollywood...i.e., they have these cast members they have to use).

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I noticed that Uhura's uniform badge different, is this because she is a cadet? I didn't seem to pay enough attention to the background characters to notice if other referred to as cadet had the same badge.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
This was definite old school Trek. I loved it and hadn't realized how much I missed it. I was distracted beyond belief at Anson Mount's hair style in this episode.

It was nice to get some back story on Uhura. I still think this iteration of the Big E is too damn big compared to the TOS version which now seems very cramped. The Bridge seems at least 1.5 if not 2x larger than the original, let alone Pikes quarters which appears larger than my 1st apartment back in the 1980s.

Looking forward to where this takes us. Does anyone else think a TOS reboot/followup is in the cards after this series ends?

·
Time for a new Title
27,864 Posts
I still think this iteration of the Big E is too damn big compared to the TOS version which now seems very cramped. The Bridge seems at least 1.5 if not 2x larger than the original, let alone Pikes quarters which appears larger than my 1st apartment back in the 1980s.
This Enterprise isn't supposed to be any larger than the TOS version, but looking at some drawings online it appears to be about 1.5x longer. I'm more concerned with how things fit--this episode seemed to show that the conference room is behind the bridge?

·
Kermie Loves Elmo
8,088 Posts
This Enterprise isn't supposed to be any larger than the TOS version, but looking at some drawings online it appears to be about 1.5x longer. I'm more concerned with how things fit--this episode seemed to show that the conference room is behind the bridge?
It's more like an auditorium. lol

·
TV MA SLV
27,859 Posts
The only thing I didn't like was they seemed to be a little flip and jokey at a time they might have been blown into little bits.

And Uhuru was a bit too much...

Other than that, good stuff.

The prequel aspect of this, thinking about the ship, is it seems like they are just going to ignore TOS ship, kind of like that scene at the end of Rogue One ignoring that scene at the end of Star Wars for continuity

·
Series 3
32,294 Posts
The story could have been more interesting but it kept my attention.
Crew interaction was good as well even though George Samuel spent most of the episode lying on the floor.
(Fun fact, I found out that I have one degree of separation from Dan Jeannotte the other day.)

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
I enjoyed all the pieces of the episode, although I kinda felt the episode itself seemed somewhat disjointed in a way I can't quite put my finger on. All the pieces come together in service of the plot, but they just seemed, all over the place at the time, and I can't really describe it. I didn't have this problem with Ep 1, so it's likely episode specific to the flow of this episode, no big deal.

I do however have a problem with the Enterprise flying around like the millennium falcon. Starships of this era are large hulking beasts, not fighter jets. But I'll clearly just have to get over it. ;)

But nits aside (and those really are the only two complaints), I did enjoy the episode, and look forward to more.

·
Meh.
42,117 Posts
Pike's 50s era bouffant hairdo was a big distraction for me. I kept expecting him to start singing about his blue suede shoes.

I learned something in this episode - Kenya is seriously miltilingual. From Wikipedia:
According to Ethnologue, there are a total of 68 languages spoken in Kenya. This variety is a reflection of the country's diverse population that includes most major ethnoracial and linguistic groups found in Africa (see Languages of Africa).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts