TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
27,056 Posts
W. T. F.

I realize I'm late to the party, but I caught up on my lunch hour today.

It's like someone decided to do a cheap Alien remake without realizing that Starfleet had advanced technology, advanced weaponry, basic military training, and knowledge of the enemy.

Then they forgot that Starfleet had advanced medical technology (and infinite-duration transporter buffers), and suicided one of the few interesting characters they had because he was in the initial stages of a parasitic infection.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
15,664 Posts
W. T. F.

I realize I'm late to the party, but I caught up on my lunch hour today.

It's like someone decided to do a cheap Alien remake without realizing that Starfleet had advanced technology, advanced weaponry, basic military training, and knowledge of the enemy.

Then they forgot that Starfleet had advanced medical technology (and infinite-duration transporter buffers), and suicided one of the few interesting characters they had because he was in the initial stages of a parasitic infection.
To be fair though, Kemmer was designed as a temporary character who would mentor Uhura. His sole purpose was Uhura's character development.

·
Premium Member
10,935 Posts

Can't disagree with any of that - except "initial stages". I got the impression when he jumped, he was about ready to pop.

I know there are no truly new stories to be written, but it's another thing to swipe a movie entirely. When they asked Kirkland brand Drummer what they should do, I half expected he to say they needed to get the crew, flee, and nuke the site from orbit, as it's the only way to be sure.

·
Registered
27,056 Posts
To be fair though, Kemmer was designed as a temporary character who would mentor Uhura. His sole purpose was Uhura's character development.
Was this evident from the series, or disclosed out of band by the producers? I did notice he was not getting the screen time I felt the character deserved in prior episodes. He felt to me a bit like the Tig Notaro character from Discovery, who often doesn't get that much screen time but when she does it really pops. I felt Kemmer was an opportunity missed in an otherwise middling crew.

As long as they don't ever kill off Ortegas; there would be nobody left worth watching.

kdmorse said:
Can't disagree with any of that - except "initial stages". I got the impression when he jumped, he was about ready to pop.
I missed that it was imminent. I suppose they did say it took different amounts of time for different species. Lifecycle of the Gorn seemed accelerated to the point of silliness in this episode.

kdmorse said:
but it's another thing to swipe a movie entirely.
Stealing is the sincerest form of flattery, but don't F it up when you do it.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
15,664 Posts
Was this evident from the series, or disclosed out of band by the producers? I did notice he was not getting the screen time I felt the character deserved in prior episodes. He felt to me a bit like the Tig Notaro character from Discovery, who often doesn't get that much screen time but when she does it really pops. I felt Kemmer was an opportunity missed in an otherwise middling crew.
It wouldn't be said in the series ("Sorry, Kemmer, but you're going to die soon"), it was mentioned out of band. Not by the producers, but by Bruce Horak. He knew when he was hired that Kemmer was going to die at some point.

Well, we shot it a year ago, but I’m really happy with how the episode turned out. When I was approached to play the part, they told me right off the bat that this was going to be the character arc of Hemmer. So, I knew it going in. There was a bit of trepidation off the top about how the death was going to happen, how the grand finale was going to play out. When I read the script, I was so happy — well, happy is not the right word. I was relieved. It’s a pretty great death for a red shirt. (Laughs.)

41 - 49 of 49 Posts