TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Proud Tivolutionary
17,379 Posts
OK, show of hands -- who else knew right away that the freshly-minted Lieutenant would be a "red shirt" sacrificed in this episode?

I found this episode very stressful. I hate really scary/stressful movies and avoided watching the episode right before bedtime. But I finally powered through the 2nd half over dinner tonight. I was not expecting to say good-bye to Hemmer or La'an -- although I assume we'll see La'an again at some point.
Yeah, I was surprised that it wasn't random red shirts who were killed but wasn't surprised about that new Lieutenant dying.

I unfortunately had seen some spoilers about Hemmer going away (but not how) but I was surprised about La'an taking leave.

This ep was definitely a huge improvement over ep 8 and yeah, basically was a uh.... copy of Aliens.

·
Premium Member
10,246 Posts
I found the weakest plot point here was how quickly the Dr. dismissed all the concerns about either of the survivors being infested with eggs. Of course one of the survivors was infested with eggs. But he seemed to dismiss a very real concern without any other thought than "the scans say they're fine". That, was dumb, to the point of being negligent on his part.

Of course the plot insisted he be dumb, but it would have made a lot more sense if for some reason he was unable to personally be part of the landing crew - and that plot point could have been handwaved away in a lot simpler fashion with there being no experienced medical personnel present. It would have flowed a lot nicer than the "genetic chameleon" hand-wave.

·
Series 3
32,376 Posts
He had a gunner/chief of operations role in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Before that (and not until the second season, as PJO pointed out), we only saw him at Ops.
Chekov was the Navigator for the Second and Third Season (although Discovery and SNW seem to have done away with that position completely).
(First season was Mitchell, Bailey, Farrell, Riley, Stiles, Painter, DePaul, DeSalle, and a few others sitting in the Navigator's chair.)
He was a full Lieutenant by the time of TMP and was the Enterprise Security Chief and manned the Weapons Station (which I guess would be referred to as the Tactical Station now).

Believe or not, TOS did have a few different Security Chiefs though.
Sometimes it was a mute extra, other times they were speaking roles like Lieutenant Commander Giotto or Lieutenant Dickerson.

As for this week's episode,

OH MY GOD! THEY KILLER HEMMER!!!!
YOU BASTARDS!!!!

But at least it was a good death, sacrificing himself for his shipmates.

Not wild with what they're doing with Spock and the jury's still out on how the Gorn will shake out.
I have to say, they moved awfully fast compared to Arena.

·
Number crunchin'
38,459 Posts
Not wild with what they're doing with Spock and the jury's still out on how the Gorn will shake out.
I have to say, they moved awfully fast compared to Arena.
Apparently they really slow down after adolescence. 😅

But frankly the Gorn that appeared in TOS was so slow that it was really hard to find it scary at all.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
We first saw him in the first episode of the second season. He may or may not have been on the ship before being introduced to the audience.
He was in less than half the episodes of the series, here the episode counts for each of the 'regulars':

Leonard Nimoy: Mr. Spock, Henoch 80 episodes, 1966-1969
William Shatner: Capt. James T. Kirk, Sam Kirk, Sargon 79 episodes, 1966-1969
DeForest Kelley: Dr. Leonard McCoy 76 episodes, 1966-1969
Nichelle Nichols: Lt. Uhura 67 episodes, 1966-1969
James Doohan: Lt. Cmdr. Montgomery Scott, Voice of Sargon 65 episodes, 1966-1969
George Takei: Lt. Sulu 51 episodes, 1966-1969
Walter Koenig: Chekov 36 episodes, 1967-1969
Majel Barrett: Nurse Christine Chapel, Enterprise Computer, Number One 28 episodes, 1967-1969

·
Cat God
17,883 Posts
We first saw him in the first episode of the second season. He may or may not have been on the ship before being introduced to the audience.
I remember reading that Roddenberry added Chekov after a Russian newspaper complained that they were the first country in space, yet there were no Russians in Star Trek.

Snopes can’t confirm or deny that. Was Star Trek's Chekov Inspired by Pravda?

·
Kermie Loves Elmo
8,224 Posts
I know Hemmer went outside to supposedly kill the baby Gorn with the cold, but weren't there dead bloody crew outside the ship when they were first approaching the ship? If the Gorn didn't like the cold, how did they get killed outside? Did I miss something?

Also, the baby Gorn looked a lot like Brundlefly.

·
Señor Member
81,834 Posts
I know Hemmer went outside to supposedly kill the baby Gorn with the cold, but weren't there dead bloody crew outside the ship when they were first approaching the ship? If the Gorn didn't like the cold, how did they get killed outside? Did I miss something?

Also, the baby Gorn looked a lot like Brundlefly.
It sounded like baby Gorn were weaker, but quickly got strong, so it makes sense adult ones could take the cold longer. But there were none left alive, so eventually they did die from the cold (there was a line about the old crew luring them all outside).

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I have kept myself spoiler free about SNW and was totally caught off-guard by Hemmer's death. He was my favorite of the new characters. His wisdom and presence were awesome. I am going to miss the character.

I am going to criticize that the disconnect between the feral blood thirsty offspring and the ability to build and operate starships isn't explained. Since the Gorn are the "Big Bad" of SNW I am guessing that more will get explored.

Let me know if I need to spoiler this, on "The Ready Room" for this episode they showed how the Gorn Hatchlings (NOT going to call them "Baby Gorn") were puppets with CGI to remove the sticks used in the puppetry. Some of the between takes improv by the operators were able to convey a different personality of the puppets and I found it fascinating.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
So Star Trek vists the Alien/Aliens universe. While this was well done, it breaks with what we know of the Gorn from prior series and I really wish they'd get some new ideas instead of remaking movies.

The premise was good, but since when could Gorn camoflage themselves/be invisible? Is this an attribute they lose as they get older? Why didn't they transport Hemmer and then store him in the pattern buffer until they could get the eggs out of him?

So far this season has been very hit or miss for me. While I see what they were trying to do with this ep, it came up short for me.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,135 Posts
Wasn’t Checkhov not in the first season though?
That's always how I saw it, he was always on the ship but we just didn't see him. That also explains how he was able to beat Khan to the bathroom that time.

"I never forget a face..."

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,135 Posts
I remember reading that Roddenberry added Chekov after a Russian newspaper complained that they were the first country in space, yet there were no Russians in Star Trek.

Snopes can’t confirm or deny that. Was Star Trek's Chekov Inspired by Pravda?
I always heard the story (and saw Walter tell it) as they wanted someone who looked like Davy Jones to appeal to the younger crowd.

Forehead Smile Lip Chin Outerwear

Forehead Nose Cheek Chin Smile

·
Meh.
43,270 Posts
So Star Trek vists the Alien/Aliens universe. While this was well done, it breaks with what we know of the Gorn from prior series and I really wish they'd get some new ideas instead of remaking movies.

The premise was good, but since when could Gorn camoflage themselves/be invisible? Is this an attribute they lose as they get older? Why didn't they transport Hemmer and then store him in the pattern buffer until they could get the eggs out of him?

So far this season has been very hit or miss for me. While I see what they were trying to do with this ep, it came up short for me.
The Gorn changes don't bother me. Didn't the Klingon appearance make several radical changes through the years? I'm ok with new technology improving on 60 year makeup and costume design. I wouldn't mind if the female staff went back to wearing miniskirts, though.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts