TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,246 Posts
I found the weakest plot point here was how quickly the Dr. dismissed all the concerns about either of the survivors being infested with eggs. Of course one of the survivors was infested with eggs. But he seemed to dismiss a very real concern without any other thought than "the scans say they're fine". That, was dumb, to the point of being negligent on his part.

Of course the plot insisted he be dumb, but it would have made a lot more sense if for some reason he was unable to personally be part of the landing crew - and that plot point could have been handwaved away in a lot simpler fashion with there being no experienced medical personnel present. It would have flowed a lot nicer than the "genetic chameleon" hand-wave.

·
Premium Member
10,246 Posts
It's like someone decided to do a cheap Alien remake without realizing that Starfleet had advanced technology, advanced weaponry, basic military training, and knowledge of the enemy.

Then they forgot that Starfleet had advanced medical technology (and infinite-duration transporter buffers), and suicided one of the few interesting characters they had because he was in the initial stages of a parasitic infection.
Can't disagree with any of that - except "initial stages". I got the impression when he jumped, he was about ready to pop.

I know there are no truly new stories to be written, but it's another thing to swipe a movie entirely. When they asked Kirkland brand Drummer what they should do, I half expected he to say they needed to get the crew, flee, and nuke the site from orbit, as it's the only way to be sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts