TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alien(s) a la Star Trek, with La'an as Ripley. Complete with never before seen redshirts.

SF in general, and Star Trek in particular, has a bad habit of portraying any intelligent alien species, no matter what their evolution and natural environment, as being capable of technology and space travel. I'm thinking of the Ba'ul and Species Ten-C from Discovery off the top of my head, but based on what we've seen in SNW, there's no way the Gorn should be a technological space-faring species.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another thing that bothered me was Pike's presence on the mission. I get that it's pre-TOS so Starfleet still has the regulation that requires the Captain and his senior officers, as well as assorted cannon fodder, to beam into the danger, but there was nothing plot-wise here that required his presence on the mission. He was completely peripheral.

·
Registered
20,104 Posts
Another thing that bothered me was Pike's presence on the mission. I get that it's pre-TOS so Starfleet still has the regulation that requires the Captain and his senior officers, as well as assorted cannon fodder, to beam into the danger, but there was nothing plot-wise here that required his presence on the mission. He was completely peripheral.
You could easily explain this away with the fact that Pike knows his eventual fate, because he has seen his own future.

·
Registered
13,215 Posts
You could easily explain this away with the fact that Pike knows his eventual fate, because he has seen his own future.
More than explain. He knows his fate so he knows he isn’t in any real danger yet. Check out the look on Number One when he says he is going on the mission.

But it is consistent. Kirk and the senior crew all went on missions together. It wasn’t until TNG that the Captain was kept on the ship.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I was half expecting the little girl to be named Newt.

Wasn’t expecting Hammer to die though or to lose not one, but two of the main cast. This wasn’t the season finale was it?
No, this was the penultimate episode of the season. Next week's is the season finale. Makes sense since this is episode 9 and so far everything we see for these streaming series is 10 episodes a season.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I'm really not a fan of Jim Kirk's brother on this show, he seems like a bit of jerk who doesn't actually contribute anything. I guess he's a way for them to introduce his younger brother to the show without making James a crew member on the Enterprise.

Speaking of characters from the original series, Hemmer's death means the Enterprise will need a new Chief Engineer. I wonder if we could see a certain young Scottish man introduced next season?

·
Number crunchin'
38,459 Posts
OK, show of hands -- who else knew right away that the freshly-minted Lieutenant would be a "red shirt" sacrificed in this episode?

I found this episode very stressful. I hate really scary/stressful movies and avoided watching the episode right before bedtime. But I finally powered through the 2nd half over dinner tonight. I was not expecting to say good-bye to Hemmer or La'an -- although I assume we'll see La'an again at some point.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I'm really not a fan of Jim Kirk's brother on this show, he seems like a bit of jerk who doesn't actually contribute anything. I guess he's a way for them to introduce his younger brother to the show without making James a crew member on the Enterprise.
I half way expected him to get knocked out 5 minutes in to the episode and spend the rest of the time unconscious.

·
HD Tech
1,053 Posts
Alien(s) a la Star Trek, with La'an as Ripley. Complete with never before seen redshirts.

SF in general, and Star Trek in particular, has a bad habit of portraying any intelligent alien species, no matter what their evolution and natural environment, as being capable of technology and space travel. I'm thinking of the Ba'ul and Species Ten-C from Discovery off the top of my head, but based on what we've seen in SNW, there's no way the Gorn should be a technological space-faring species.
I think the episode made it reasonably clear that the Gorn were 'space-faring' by laying eggs inside hapless aliens who are space faring.

·
HD Tech
1,053 Posts
I'm really not a fan of Jim Kirk's brother on this show, he seems like a bit of jerk who doesn't actually contribute anything.
Actually, a MAJOR jerk, and a coward. With a really cheesy mustache. I was rooting for the Gorn.

Speaking of characters from the original series, Hemmer's death means the Enterprise will need a new Chief Engineer. I wonder if we could see a certain young Scottish man introduced next season?
Had the identical thought.

As for La'an's exit, I don't think the original Star Trek had a Security Chief. First one I remember is Tasha Yar on TNG, after which every ST series had one.

·
Hi. What is this?
11,786 Posts
Actually, a MAJOR jerk, and a coward. With a really cheesy mustache. I was rooting for the Gorn.

Had the identical thought.

As for La'an's exit, I don't think the original Star Trek had a Security Chief. First one I remember is Tasha Yar on TNG, after which every ST series had one.
Wasn't Chekhov security at some point? I haven't watched TOS in years but this sounds familiar to me for some reason.

·
Time for a new Title
28,043 Posts
Wasn’t Checkhov not in the first season though?
He had a gunner/chief of operations role in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Before that (and not until the second season, as PJO pointed out), we only saw him at Ops.

But it makes sense for a ship of that size to have a head of security. I'm good with that retcon. And La'an likely isn't exiting. I'm worried they'll start to do an ongoing storyline, which SNW isn't supposed to be doing...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts