TiVo Community Forum banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Seasoned gas passer
13,023 Posts
You guys have been brutal on Wesley’s portrayal of James T…cut him some slack. It’s one episode. And, as someone stated, blame those who write/direct etc…they’re the ones who ultimately pull the strings on character development. Yes, I know a lot also depends on the character and charisma of the actor. But to rip him to shreds based on one episode seems a bit harsh.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
You guys have been brutal on Wesley’s portrayal of James T…cut him some slack. It’s one episode. And, as someone stated, blame those who write/direct etc…they’re the ones who ultimately pull the strings on character development. Yes, I know a lot also depends on the character and charisma of the actor. But to rip him to shreds based on one episode seems a bit harsh.
Have you met us?

(P.S. I agree)

·
I am Groot!
63,798 Posts
You guys have been brutal on Wesley’s portrayal of James T…cut him some slack. It’s one episode. And, as someone stated, blame those who write/direct etc…they’re the ones who ultimately pull the strings on character development. Yes, I know a lot also depends on the character and charisma of the actor. But to rip him to shreds based on one episode his performance seems a bit harsh.
I disagree.

;)

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I don't think anyone was "ripping him to shreds", but I definitely understand the criticism. When Chris Pine stepped into the role in 2009, his portrayal was different from Shatner's, but he owned it. Paul Wesley, not so much. He wasn't horrible, but just didn't bring to the role what one would expect from James T. Kirk, at any age.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I don't think anyone was "ripping him to shreds", but I definitely understand the criticism. When Chris Pine stepped into the role in 2009, his portrayal was different from Shatner's, but he owned it. Paul Wesley, not so much. He wasn't horrible, but just didn't bring to the role what one would expect from James T. Kirk, at any age.
I have to agree here. Pine got the swagger/attitude right. I was easily able to imagine him as Kirk. Wesley, not so much. I was reminded of the Saturday Night Live Trek parodies.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I think I said it before, but will offer it up again. The James T Kirk in this episode is not the James T Kirk who will ultimately assume command of the USS Enterprise. In this timeline, there is 7 years if divergent history, since Pike never got the Fleet Captain assignment we can make the assumption that his entire trajectory changed with the "mailing of that letter". All sorts of different decisions affected the flow of history. We are all shaped by the sum of our experiences. The experience of James T Kirk were vastly different here.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I think I said it before, but will offer it up again. The James T Kirk in this episode is not the James T Kirk who will ultimately assume command of the USS Enterprise. In this timeline, there is 7 years if divergent history, since Pike never got the Fleet Captain assignment we can make the assumption that his entire trajectory changed with the "mailing of that letter". All sorts of different decisions affected the flow of history. We are all shaped by the sum of our experiences. The experience of James T Kirk were vastly different here.
That kind of experience brings wisdom and maturity, not a fundamental personality change. I don't see this one as having had the temerity to reprogram the simulator at the academy because he doesn't like to lose, doesn't believe in the no-win scenario. Yes, he flew in with a fleet of drones to bluff the Romulans, but still didn't do it with the chutzpah you'd expect from James T. Kirk. He was just too reserved. Which is not a word I'd ever expect to use to describe James Kirk. At any age.

·
Now with flavor!
2,222 Posts
Dragging The Orville in here. Be nice.

That kind of experience brings wisdom and maturity, not a fundamental personality change.
O's Season 2 finale had two Kelly Graysons separated by seven years. And it was very obvious that those two were not just slightly different personalities. Just as Pike isn't the same person now, as he was pre-Talos IV.

·
I am Groot!
63,798 Posts
O's Season 2 finale had two Kelly Graysons separated by seven years. And it was very obvious that those two were not just slightly different personalities. Just as Pike isn't the same person now, as he was pre-Talos IV.
But we've seen Kirk at the Academy, and we've seen him as an old man. And he was always Kirk.

As opposed to this other guy. ;)

·
Time for a new Title
28,001 Posts
But we've seen Kirk at the Academy, and we've seen him as an old man. And he was always Kirk.

As opposed to this other guy. ;)
We don't know what those intervening 7 years did, though. Maybe he was cocky at the Academy, but the shift in history caused him to fall into a rut.

I'm not a fan of this portrayal as Kirk, but I'm also willing to give him more of a shot next season when it sounds like he'll show up a few more times (and in the "normal" timeline).

81 - 92 of 92 Posts