TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Cat God
17,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We get an alternate timeline episode including James Kirk and Scotty (voice and arm only). I enjoyed the episode and it made a fitting season finale, though Paul Wesley didn’t feel like Captain Kirk to me. Something was off about him, but I didn’t let it distract me too much.

I’m going to have to go back and watch “Balance of Terror” again as I don’t remember exactly what happened in it other than Kirk was obviously the captain of the Enterprise.

And we lose another cast member with Number 1 being arrested.

·
Now with flavor!
2,209 Posts
Thought the Number One cliffhanger was so unnecessary. Duplicates Lower Deck's S2 finale. Yet another Trek Trope Bingo card filled- "Character Future in Jeopardy- to be revealed next season!" It was great when TNG pulled it off in 1990- but the audience isn't that gullible now. This was a very strong episode- should've ended after Pike and Spock commiserated and dumped that odd musical interlude.

Squeed a little seeing Mount in TWOK-era admiral uniform. Squeed a lot the instant he showed up in the wedding from Balance of Terror.

I don't think it's hyperbolic to say this is probably the best "first season" of any Star Trek series in the franchise's history. Yes, they only had 10 episodes as opposed to 20-something. But they were 9 solid base-hit episodes and one just short of a walk-off home run.

Reactions: dcheesi

·
Hi. What is this?
11,777 Posts
We get an alternate timeline episode including James Kirk and Scotty (voice and arm only). I enjoyed the episode and it made a fitting season finale, though Paul Wesley didn’t feel like Captain Kirk to me. Something was off about him, but I didn’t let it distract me too much.

I’m going to have to go back and watch “Balance of Terror” again as I don’t remember exactly what happened in it other than Kirk was obviously the captain of the Enterprise.

And we lose another cast member with Number 1 being arrested.
We jumped right from this episode to Balance of Terror. The Romulans looked so much like Vulcans, the commander could be Spock's father. 😁

I did like Ortegas taking on the role of the bigoted helmsman.

I loved how they used old school key lights just like in TOS.

Paul Wesley as Kirk bugged me. I don't know why. I wasn't expecting him to be Shatner or Pine. He just seemed like a bad fit for the character.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I find the Federation's attitude towards Illyrians and genetically modified people jarring. Star Trek has always been about tolerance, hence the mulit-racial and multi-species crew, even in the 60s. Yes, there were eugenics wars on Earth centuries earlier, but I don't get the Federation's point here.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,887 Posts
If they hadn't absolutely nailed Balance of Terror I would have said this was a cheap exploitative way to steal the good reputation of BoT.

However, not only did they nail it, they hit it out of the park, as soon as I saw the wedding I said "nice callback to BoT" then it became clear they were actually going for having this story replace BoT and it was stunning, awesome, incredible, ok, I need to hit the thesaurus, there are so many more needed.

This was one of the best episodes of reborn Trek and I'm still amazed they had the guts to do it, and the smarts to do it perfectly.

·
204 No Content
Custom Title 2
35,566 Posts
I don't think it's hyperbolic to say this is probably the best "first season" of any Star Trek series in the franchise's history. Yes, they only had 10 episodes as opposed to 20-something. But they were 9 solid base-hit episodes and one just short of a walk-off home run.
Where was this writing quality when they did Discovery? That show had the same potential.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I haven't watched in a decade plus, but I thought in Enterprise they came across Romulans and that was a century before TOS. Now I'm going to have to go back and rewatch Enterprise.

·
Time for a new Title
27,990 Posts
I liked the episode, especially how they took a TOS episode and turned it on it's head. I'm also hoping that this will be, like the Not-Holodeck episode, a way to take a storyline that keeps sticking it's nose into things (in this case, Pike knowing his future) and makes it not such a big deal in season 2.

It was great to see a Monster Maroon uniform in the series. SNW has done a great job taking traditional Star Trek uniforms and updating them in a way that feels like a true homage. The general crew uniforms, Uhura's uniform in the future of this episode, the captain's wrap around tunic, and now a monster maroon. I wonder if we'll see someone in some sort of TMP style uniform at some point.

I've got one major gripe with the episode, though--old Pike said that, no matter what revisions to history they saw, the only way to save Spock was for Pike to not be there at the Romulan encounter. While I love that they are setting Spock up as the character that seems to tie all of these series together with original Trek, I couldn't help thinking "If Pike just told Spock to stay on the bridge, he would have been fine."

My minor gripe is that, like others have said, I don't think Paul Wesley feels like Kirk at all. He doesn't look the part and he doesn't have the Shatner swagger (that Chris Pine actually nailed in the JJ-verse). So far it's one story in an alternate timeline, so maybe future incarnations of his Kirk will work better for me.

All that said, this has been the best season of a Star Trek series in a LONG time. I don't know how, but even though it's grown out of a pretty lousy base show (Discovery), SNW has been true Star Trek to me.

·
...I'm not.
19,191 Posts
He lacks Shatner's signature smug arrogance ;)

Reactions: MScottC and cwerdna

·
...I'm not.
19,191 Posts
Is this the new Scotty?
Matthew Wolf - IMDb
Maybe, maybe not. The fact that they kept him off-screen means that they're holding out in some fashion; either they haven't cast Scotty yet, or else they have cast him but wanted to keep us in suspense. Either way, this guy could just be a placeholder, or he could be a candidate that they didn't want to commit to publicly just yet.

Meanwhile, I take the casting of Jim Kirk to mean that we won't be seeing more of him any time soon. Definitely felt like a one-off role (and a bit of a letdown after teasing us w/ Sam Kirk in the beginning).

·
Time for a new Title
27,990 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. The fact that they kept him off-screen means that they're holding out in some fashion; either they haven't cast Scotty yet, or else they have cast him but wanted to keep us in suspense. Either way, this guy could just be a placeholder, or he could be a candidate that they didn't want to commit to publicly just yet.

Meanwhile, I take the casting of Jim Kirk to mean that we won't be seeing more of him any time soon. Definitely felt like a one-off role (and a bit of a letdown after teasing us w/ Sam Kirk in the beginning).
Minor spoiler for season 2, but tagging it anyway:

There are pictures from the filming of Season 2 that have Kirk and La'ann interacting.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I haven't watched in a decade plus, but I thought in Enterprise they came across Romulans and that was a century before TOS. Now I'm going to have to go back and rewatch Enterprise.
The Romulans made several "appearances" on Enterprise. However, the crew never saw them directly. It was also before the war that was mentioned and the reason for the neutral zone. So all is still per traditional canon except for the fact that Pike now technically knows what they look like 7 years before any other human.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

Paul Wesley was signed for Season 2, the season one finale was just a teaser.

·
...I'm not.
19,191 Posts
Reactions: ThePennyDropped

·
Registered
858 Posts
I really enjoyed the whole season and especially liked the season finale. I thought James Kirk was fine in his limited showing. As he years (I think) away from the Captain Kirk we know, he will have time to grow with additional experience. Regardless, really liked the show overall and the characters they cast. I liked Una, Spock, Uhura, La'an and Nurse Chapel (especially how she is much more than a figurehead than in the OG Star Trek)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts