TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Premium Member
45,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woot! This is going to be a great season - if you like this type of Star Trek.

Time travel, alternate realities (ok, deviated time, but same thing), the Borg, Q, etc.

How did Annika end up with that nerd?

· Premium Member
9,703 Posts
Something is wrong with Q. He pimp slapped Picard. He never did that before.
Yah, there were a lot of clues there that Q's not just being his normal juvenile self, something's wrong. And whatever is going on, Q's is simultaneously holding a grudge, and helping Picard to fix something. Q's got something personal in this going on.

How did Annika end up with that nerd?
Nerd wouldn't have been the word I would have chosen. ;)

· Premium Member
9,703 Posts
They only need the Borg Queen to return to 2024, so unless they immediately “eradicate” her, won’t they risk The Borg coming to earth earlier? (“First Contact”) .
What? Are you suggesting their plan might have a flaw? That she might get out of the stasis field? That she might even take over the entire ship?

Nah, surely not. That would never happen. ;)

· Premium Member
9,703 Posts
I watched it a second time this evening looking for things like words on nameplates, or skulls. (They made such a point of naming some of the skulls, I wanted to see if the others had readable names, they didn't).

The assault plan against Vulcan included a Metreon Cascade. (from ST:Voyager - the weapon that wiped out all life on a populated Talaxian moon and ended a war)

Font Gadget Magenta Tints and shades Technology

And on the second listening, that animated cat sounded awfully familiar.. Took me a few more sentences to realize it was voiced by Patton Oswalt

· Registered
8,329 Posts
I don’t mind time travel and alt realities but this seems too close to just another Mirror Universe-esque story.

And making Picard not just a bad guy but the most baddest guy in all of the Confederation was just unbelievable to me.

· Registered
5,258 Posts
I don’t mind time travel and alt realities but this seems too close to just another Mirror Universe-esque story.

And making Picard not just a bad guy but the most baddest guy in all of the Confederation was just unbelievable to me.
And the name Confederation and Slavery (ref: US Civil War) and ‘Eradication‘ and the Confederation colors (ref: Nazi Germany) caused by a single event in LA in 2024 (yet to be revealed -- probably something to do with the US Election), is also unbelievable.

…but it’s TV, and I’m enjoying S2 so far.

· Meh.
41,566 Posts
I have a hard time believing that Q needs Picard and his merry men to do anything. This episode all by itself was more interesting than Discovery has been all season.

· I am Groot!
58,984 Posts
And the name Confederation and Slavery (ref: US Civil War) and ‘Eradication‘ and the Confederation colors (ref: Nazi Germany) caused by a single event in LA in 2024 (yet to be revealed -- probably something to do with the US Election), is also unbelievable.
I think that's perfectly plausible. Butterfly Effect and all. What isn't is such sweeping changes over centuries...and yet all (or ANY) of these people still exist.

· Registered
2,386 Posts
How many people recognized the Star Trek episode titles that Q was quoting? "Yesterday's Enterprise" (TNG) and "In a mirror, darkly" (ENT) were obvious ones, but I'm sure there were more episode titles he wove into his dialog.

Not being familiar enough with the Discovery episode titles, he probably mentioned it as well.

As for anything else - don't read too much into it -Picard S2 and S3 were greenlit in 2020 before S1 officially aired, and writing for S2 basically started mid 2020. Filming of S2 didn't start until January 2021 due to the pandemic. So it's highly unlikely anything related to any elections or anything else would be it because all this stuff was written before the November 2020 elections.

It could still be election related, but at this point it would be complete fantasy since even trying to involve the events of January 2021 into Picard would be a lot of extra re-writes. At best, it might be potentially pandemic related as in a mutation in LA in 2024 (they never gave the actual date, interestingly enough) caused a strain that killed all presidential candidates or some such.

But that's probably hitting a little too close to home, so I expect some completely different thing unrelated to elections or pandemics or anything else

· Premium Member
45,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This happens in all mirror universe/alternate timelines in Star Trek, but other fiction too. Everything is different, yet all of their same ancestors still met and procreated at the exact same time.

· Now with flavor!
2,274 Posts
I didn't get that MU/Terran Empire vibe at all. (the absence of hammy acting helps) There's no mustache twirling villains, no bad guys who are now good guys in the wings, everyone's on board with Human First. Everyone's fine with it.

It actually reminded me of the Pegasus episodes from Battlestar Galactica. "There but for the grace of god go I" path not taken.

· 4 8 15 16 23 42
13,624 Posts
I thought Guinan was going to be one and done, but Picard has to seek out a Watcher in L.A. So, it may be a big bald guy in another multiverse crossover, but is probably Guinan.
Maybe it's Sarah Silverman? :p

· Cat God
17,522 Posts
Just based on the fact that the 12 Monkeys series producer is in charge of season 2 and the kind of twisted time logic in that series, it’s highly likely that:

The Borg Queen from episode 1 is a future version of the one we met in this episode.

· 4 8 15 16 23 42
13,624 Posts
Just based on the fact that the 12 Monkeys series producer is in charge of season 2 and the kind of twisted time logic in that series, it’s highly likely that:

The Borg Queen from episode 1 is a future version of the one we met in this episode.
I didn't know that! 12 Monkeys was pretty amazing.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts