TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

Registered
It might be the end of TIVO but what will it do for the cable business. I haven't checked in the last 6 months but Spectrum here in Maine only had 2 tuner DVR and no whole home service. Maybe that has changed but I would think with that the only cable option more people will just go streaming
Hi,
I totally agree with you. Tivo, in my opinion outshines everything else out there. I think I posted this here, but Spectrum told me that cable cards in St. Louis will stop working on August 1st. While I got a good deal for their POS DVR, I had one a few years ago on the only non-tivo TV I had, I was the most poorly designed thing I had ever seen. Unfortunately, despite being technically minded, I really don't know much about streaming services. Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but I enjoy having many live channels and a guide with channel numbers. I don't know much about streaming services, and not sure if any give a "channel lineup" feeling other than satellite. I used to be a big Dish Network supporter long ago. I only went to cable in order to get internet and phone and only after migrated to cable. If anyone knows of a way to get a cable experience with some kind of DVR features, I'd welcome the help. THX.

Registered
Hi,
I totally agree with you. Tivo, in my opinion outshines everything else out there. I think I posted this here, but Spectrum told me that cable cards in St. Louis will stop working on August 1st. While I got a good deal for their POS DVR, I had one a few years ago on the only non-tivo TV I had, I was the most poorly designed thing I had ever seen. Unfortunately, despite being technically minded, I really don't know much about streaming services. Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but I enjoy having many live channels and a guide with channel numbers. I don't know much about streaming services, and not sure if any give a "channel lineup" feeling other than satellite. I used to be a big Dish Network supporter long ago. I only went to cable in order to get internet and phone and only after migrated to cable. If anyone knows of a way to get a cable experience with some kind of DVR features, I'd welcome the help. THX.
Your not going to believe this one. Yesterday, after being strong armed into the Spectrum deal where they said that I had a few days to receive and hook up their POS DVR, I went upstairs a couple hours later and they had already canceled my cable card and tuner. I called this morning ready to give them all of my Sicilian attitude for screwing me over, but just happened to get the nicest rep whose father is also a diehard Tivo fan! She could not definitely guarantee that Spectrum will stop cable cards in my area, but said she didn't think so. Then she proceeds to get into my account and reactivate my cable card and tuner馃槄! She said that even if they do stop, I could always get their deal on the DVR. So now I have to wait until August 1st to see if the prior Spectrum rep was a complete lier. Oh well, happy ending for now! Just try to pry my Tivo from my cold, dead fingers!

Registered
TIVo users are like an army without a country now. You鈥檙e simply relying on faith to keep your boxes working now.

Take the streaming pill. Cable is dead. Get YouTube tv or AT&T streaming with an AppleTV and call it a day.

If you try and compare things like firetv and android to a TiVo, that鈥檚 where people get disappointed. But AT&T and YouTube TV on a stable device like AppleTV is a solid solution for television. Of course that鈥檚 if you鈥檙e internet is solid too.

Registered
Your not going to believe this one. Yesterday, after being strong armed into the Spectrum deal where they said that I had a few days to receive and hook up their POS DVR, I went upstairs a couple hours later and they had already canceled my cable card and tuner. I called this morning ready to give them all of my Sicilian attitude for screwing me over, but just happened to get the nicest rep whose father is also a diehard Tivo fan! She could not definitely guarantee that Spectrum will stop cable cards in my area, but said she didn't think so. Then she proceeds to get into my account and reactivate my cable card and tuner馃槄! She said that even if they do stop, I could always get their deal on the DVR. So now I have to wait until August 1st to see if the prior Spectrum rep was a complete lier. Oh well, happy ending for now! Just try to pry my Tivo from my cold, dead fingers!
If they were changing your service by ending CC support in three weeks, they鈥檇 have sent you written notification.

The rep lied/was uninformed. Simple as that.

U.S. Army (ret.)
Take the streaming pill. Cable is dead. Get YouTube tv or AT&T streaming with an AppleTV and call it a day.
That's unrealistically hyperbolic. Linear cable TV (whether delivered via QAM or IP) will be with us for years to come. At some point it will be reduced to a vestige service, but that point is not yet in sight.

At this juncture, it should be a highly personal decision as to which system/provider/application best meets your individual needs depending on the options available to you.

Sleeve Gesture Collar Font Wrinkle

Registered
I have gotten 2 calls from Spectrum over the last few weeks saying that my card will stop working "soon" and trying to get me to take their DVR.

I hate their DVRs and I am not going to switch from my TIVO unless forced to. If they obsolete my card and TA, well, I will like switch to YouTube TV or perhaps go to AT&T and get their gigabit internet service, maybe theircable tv service too. I really resent Spectrum trying to strongarm me.
@LaughingBuddah, the cable service U-verse TV? Good luck. That service can no longer be ordered.

Registered
I knew it was full of bologna when I was able to get a second CableCard when I called Spectrum up last week and none of the reps said anything about them dropping support soon!

Reactions: cwoody222

Registered
Today I called Spectrum to have my services rebundled in order to shave a little off my monthly charge. The CSR came up with a new promotion which would have saved me about $50/month, however, their system would not allow code for cable cards to be reentered into their system. The CSR was able to back out of the new bundle, but for how long? And I have to live with a pricing bundle $50 higher than it should be, or drop my cable cards. Spectrum is actively tightening their squeeze on cable card users. TiVo's CSR apologies for my inconvenience, but they're without solution. I started with a TiVo Series II.....I guess it's been a good run.

wait.. I did what?
Today I called Spectrum to have my services rebundled in order to shave a little off my monthly charge. The CSR came up with a new promotion which would have saved me about $50/month, however, their system would not allow code for cable cards to be reentered into their system. The CSR was able to back out of the new bundle, but for how long? And I have to live with a pricing bundle $50 higher than it should be, or drop my cable cards. Spectrum is actively tightening their squeeze on cable card users. TiVo's CSR apologies for my inconvenience, but they're without solution. I started with a TiVo Series II.....I guess it's been a good run.
Your issue is the basic CS drones do not have the ability to override the system and allow CableCARDs in a package since they are a niche product, a more senior agent usually can and will override that and let you get a bundle for CableCARDs.
Keep in mind with no FCC mandate there is no requirement that they give you the same options for a CableCARD as they do for their own hardware, so their bundle may very well be restricted to one of their DVRs, but so far that has not been a significant issue.

Registered
Spectrum disallowed me to have a bundle with CC 12 years ago.

This is a limitation of their system and/or of the reps knowledge or just the bundle is what it is and doesn鈥檛 allow customizations.

It is not new and not necessarily a tactic to drive away CC customers.

CC has ALWAYS been a niche so they never offered their best pricing to those types of customers.

Registered
Spectrum disallowed me to have a bundle with CC 12 years ago.

This is a limitation of their system and/or of the reps knowledge or just the bundle is what it is and doesn鈥檛 allow customizations.

It is not new and not necessarily a tactic to drive away CC customers.

CC has ALWAYS been a niche so they never offered their best pricing to those types of customers.
At this point, it would be better for Spectrum to have a white label version of the X1 box for Cable TV, licensed by Comcast. If they do, it should at least be the XG1v3, and they should have the XR11 or XR15 Voice Remote. Additionally, 2TB of DVR storage, and 6 tuners.

Not just a white label version of the X1 Cable box, but white label versions of some of the other Xfinity boxes like the XID-P, and the XG2v2.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts