TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
So far, -zero- communication on CableCards from Spectrum in SE Wisconsin. Seems to be business as usual here.
(As expected) location specific. A few people have posted getting offers of "up to $900 in credits" to choose an alternative, as in their location CableCARD support is going to end real soon now (August is the stated target date, although if I had to guess that even in their location it is the beginning of the end, rather than an absolute date).

Until your area is targeted for the work (and it will take years to complete, and Charter has not shared any location schedules) it will be business as usual (which is not saying much in some locations).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m in SC and when I bought a new TIVO, last year, I did not have any problem getting a cable card…however, finding someone in the company to activate it was a joy (phone transfer hell). NOW, months later, I am still trying to track down the tuner needed to use on the original TiVo as it’s not quite a brick yet. Went to their “store” and was told that they are few and far between so they don’t keep in stock and you have to order thru a technician. Had a tech out for a different issue and asked them to order one and they said they couldn’t and told me to call. I called and spoke to someone who said that getting tuners was next to impossible and that they need to “get permission” to release any but he’d see what he could do. He did his thing and said that it let him order one and it should show up. I got a box a few days later and it was a new modem/router which I did not need. I got my new invoice and it lists two tuners. I started a chat session online and they gave me another number to call which I haven’t worked up the energy to try yet.
The immoral to my story…I’m leaning towards believing that the support for cable cards with Spectrum is on its way out based on the above and the tone in the voices of these employees. When they say that “its like you have to get special permission to issue one”, that worries me. I am close to “cutting the cable” which will make this all moot…and my TiVos almost useless since now Hulu is going bye bye from our devices…
I do have one other choice for cable in my area (which is rare) and I may explore if they even know what a cable card is but streaming may take less energy. Blah blah blah. That’s my sad story.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I'll probably jump to YouTube when my TiVo dies. But for now, I get all the basic channels (175) with HBO, ShowTime and Stars for $94.00 (plus tax.)
Does that $94/mo include the broadcast TV fee (which is about $23/mo) and the RSN fee (which may be somewhere around $10-15/mo)? If so, then that's a very good price for what you're getting. But if the $94 price doesn't include those fees, then it's not that great a deal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a Spectrum technician out two weeks ago to pair a CableCard in my new Tivo Edge, and he told me that Spectrum is ending support for CableCards by the end of this year. He said that Spectrum has a new online DVR service that allows you to record pretty much any and everything you want (he said like 1000 channels at a time), so that will likely be my plan going forward. It sucks because I have 3 Tivo units and really like them, as does my wife.
When I got a new Edge the Spectrum guys just didn't understand. I sent them packing and the next day I had it all playing. The best support is from TiVo. They understand the Tuning Adapter and have a good number to Spectrum support that does understand. It was a pain but has worked for a couple of years. Some breakup but I traced that to high level into the TA. A
6db attenuator solved this.
Johnny S.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
I had a Spectrum technician out two weeks ago to pair a CableCard in my new Tivo Edge, and he told me that Spectrum is ending support for CableCards by the end of this year. He said that Spectrum has a new online DVR service that allows you to record pretty much any and everything you want (he said like 1000 channels at a time), so that will likely be my plan going forward. It sucks because I have 3 Tivo units and really like them, as does my wife.
I’ve tried Spectrum’s streaming service. Doesn’t hold a candle to YouTube TV. I highly recommend you tell Spectrum to take a hike when the time comes.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Does that $94/mo include the broadcast TV fee (which is about $23/mo) and the RSN fee (which may be somewhere around $10-15/mo)? If so, then that's a very good price for what you're getting. But if the $94 price doesn't include those fees, then it's not that great a deal.
Yup.. that is the total price. They tried to raise it about $15.00 a couple of months ago and I called to dump it. But after being with them for 21 years (internet sevice) they gave me $35.00 a month off and extended my discounted 500 Mbps internet service for 2 more years. I'm only paying the basic internet cost today, but getting the 500 Mbps service. Don't need it, but its free.

Another issue is dropping cable TV and only having internet service... In my area, the cheapest price would be $69.00 a month. Right now, I get a $20.00 internet discount for having TV and internet. Most folks need to add the additional cost of internet service to the streaming package too to get a valid price. Most (if not all) cable compaies will charge you more unless you bundle the services.

Not trying to trash steaming... I'll be there too. The HDMI port of my TiVo died about a year ago and I'll be happy if it last another year. Have to use a mini for watching TV. Still better than any Spectrum DVR.

Enjoy the weekend!

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,761 Posts
Yup.. that is the total price. They tried to raise it about $15.00 a couple of months ago and I called to dump it. But after being with them for 21 years (internet sevice) they gave me $35.00 a month off and extended my discounted 500 Mbps internet service for 2 more years. I'm only paying the basic internet cost today, but getting the 500 Mbps service. Don't need it, but its free.

Another issue is dropping cable TV and only having internet service... In my area, the cheapest price would be $69.00 a month. Right now, I get a $20.00 internet discount for having TV and internet. Most folks need to add the additional cost of internet service to the streaming package too to get a valid price. Most (if not all) cable compaies will charge you more unless you bundle the services.

Not trying to trash steaming... I'll be there too. The HDMI port of my TiVo died about a year ago and I'll be happy if it last another year. Have to use a mini for watching TV. Still better than any Spectrum DVR.

Enjoy the weekend!
So, if I am reading your account correctly, your monthly bill for HSI + CATV +HBO/SHO/Starz including all discounts comes to $143 ($94 + $49) plus tax?

If so, that's still a pretty good deal and roughly comparable to what you could get from Xfinity for a similar arrangement in some areas providing you also had Xfinity Mobile cell phone service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I feel your pain, and I also have some really bad news for you, which I learned the hard way.
To cut to the chase- look up QAM and IPTV.
QAM is the analog signal you need a cable card to decode and display high-res programming on your TV through your TiVO.
IPTV is Internet streamed TV.
Now the really bad news. Guess why you can't get a card anymore. Providers are switching to IPTV.
And, what model TiVo NVR is capable of using the whole IPTV universe of channels? None.
So, all those premium channels above ~1000, maybe 1100 in some areas that you have been watching on TiVO are transmitted on QAM, for which you need a card. Everything else, esp. newer channels, foreign channels, et cet, IPTV, which even your TiVo Edge, let alone old Premier Elite series, will never be able to show.
Local NVR recording onto that hardware of yesteryear, the disk drive? But you already know the answer to that, right?

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
I feel your pain, and I also have some really bad news for you, which I learned the hard way.
To cut to the chase- look up QAM and IPTV.
QAM is the analog signal you need a cable card to decode and display high-res programming on your TV through your TiVO.
IPTV is Internet streamed TV.
Now the really bad news. Guess why you can't get a card anymore. Providers are switching to IPTV.
And, what model TiVo NVR is capable of using the whole IPTV universe of channels? None.
So, all those premium channels above ~1000, maybe 1100 in some areas that you have been watching on TiVO are transmitted on QAM, for which you need a card. Everything else, esp. newer channels, foreign channels, et cet, IPTV, which even your TiVo Edge, let alone old Premier Elite series, will never be able to show.
Local NVR recording onto that hardware of yesteryear, the disk drive? But you already know the answer to that, right?
True in many cases, but Spectrum is NOT switching to IPTV. QAM on Spectrum is still alive and well and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. What's breaking cable card compatibility on Spectrum is an internet related upgrade that will now walk on frequencies that cable card uses, not anything IPTV related. At the end of the day, the technical reason doesn't matter, cable card still won't work on Spectrum when they flip the switch in each market on some undetermined future date.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I got a new Edge the Spectrum guys just didn't understand. I sent them packing and the next day I had it all playing. The best support is from TiVo. They understand the Tuning Adapter and have a good number to Spectrum support that does understand. It was a pain but has worked for a couple of years. Some breakup but I traced that to high level into the TA. A
6db attenuator solved this.
Johnny S.
I've had the same technician out the last three times to pair my TiVo devices to CableCards. He knows what he's doing and has a direct line to the proper group at Spectrum support. The first time, he brought two other technicians, one who checked all the wiring from the street to my house (and ended up replacing some outside) and one who checked everything inside and put a 6db attenuator in my system, along with a new splitter. I will give Spectrum credit - the techs have no issues doing what it takes to get things working, and I never get billed for any of their support or site visits.

I did switch from Spectrum Internet to ZIply fiber about a year ago. Ziply offers 1Gb up/down for $60/month. I get 970Mbps up and 980Mbps down on a good day, and the latency is very low, around 5-6 ms. I've been happy with it so far.

·
Registered
329 Posts
True in many cases, but Spectrum is NOT switching to IPTV. QAM on Spectrum is still alive and well and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.
True today (and given the rate of change it will be true tomorrow and the next many many days), but the Charter CEO has stated publicly that IPTV is the long term future for their Spectrum TV service, and Charter has recently partnered with Comcast to update/customize (as needed) and make available what Comcast has branded as the XiOne IPTV (only) box for future deployments (which along with cloud DVR, which both are moving to, will mean the one box will be able to serve most customers). It should be noted that the existing Charter Worldboxes are also IPTV capable, so there may be an easier transition for some.

At the end of the day, the technical reason doesn't matter
As any transition to IPTV can (to a large extent) be done in parallel with any HSI high-split work, there could easily end up being some overlapping confusion as to what is happening where and when, but with Charter keeping their long term schedules behind closed doors it is hard to know anything to any detail.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
True today (and given the rate of change it will be true tomorrow and the next many many days), but the Charter CEO has stated publicly that IPTV is the long term future for their Spectrum TV service, and Charter has recently partnered with Comcast to update/customize (as needed) and make available what Comcast has branded as the XiOne IPTV (only) box for future deployments (which along with cloud DVR, which both are moving to, will mean the one box will be able to serve most customers). It should be noted that the existing Charter Worldboxes are also IPTV capable, so there may be an easier transition for some.

As any transition to IPTV can (to a large extent) be done in parallel with any HSI high-split work, there could easily end up being some overlapping confusion as to what is happening where and when, but with Charter keeping their long term schedules behind closed doors it is hard to know anything to any detail.
Yeah, I’ve read the interviews where he talks about IPTV. But he’s the boy who cried wolf. Virtually nothing he predicts ever actually happens in a reasonable timeframe. I think Spectrum is too inept and tight fisted to roll out IPTV anytime soon. It’s still many years away. Cable card and TiVo will be distant memories by then. If they had any sense at all, they’d skip IPTV entirely.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've been gone from this forum after turning in my cablecards to Spectrum about a year ago in Central Florida. In the mean time, I had a small streaming only package from them. But last week, I called them to turn off that small package. The rep was asking if there was anything that would keep me using their cable, and I jokingly said "I'd love to have my cablecards and tuning adapters back" expecting to hear "we don't do those anymore". But she said "let me check on that, I think we can do it." A few minutes later after talking to a supervisor, she came back and said they can do it with one minor stipulation. I was told they can still provide the cablecards, but not the TAs. But she said if I bought my own TAs, it could be done! So I bought 3 Cisco STA1520's on ebay and have an appointment for tomorrow where they are bringing 3 cablecards and activating them. They also said they would provision my TAs the same way they do my self-owned cable modem. So I just finished hooking up all the tuning adapters, my TiVo Bolt, and two HDHomeRun Primes just like I used to have. It's all sitting ready for the cards to arrive and get paired. They even gave me a promotional rate on my service for 2 years that was pretty good! All 3 tuning adapters I got from eBay seem to be working. If you are curious, I got one for $45, one for $10, and the 3rd for $3.99. One didn't have a power cord, but that was easy enough to fix ordering a 12v 2.5a 2.1mm adapter on Amazon.

So, based on all these posted reports and my past personal experiences, I'm a little skeptical, but on the other hand, I do have an install appointment for tomorrow with 3 cards coming!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I wonder where those TA’s came from? AFAIK they have always been cable co property with a hefty fee for unreturned equipment, well over $100.
And since I haven't had any direct experience with TA's (since Comcast never used them) don't they have to be "staged or configured" for a specific system/provider, just like CC's do? Don't they have some sort of (MAC) ID or something similar that has to be entered into the cable system's authorization system?
Either way, I just can't see this coming thru to fruition... o_O

·
Registered
329 Posts
And since I haven't had any direct experience with TA's (since Comcast never used them) don't they have to be "staged or configured" for a specific system/provider, just like CC's do?
As I recall, with Cisco DNCS and most operators systems, TA's need to be in the inventory in order to be associated with a subscribers CableCARD. While it is (theoretically) possible to get an alternatively sourced TA into the inventory in order to be linked to a subscribers CableCARD, it may require a supervisors supervisor override to do so. I would not be at all surprised if things do not go well (and if it is possible to get those alternatively sourced into the Charter inventory, I would expect Charter would now consider it their property).

·
Registered
94 Posts
As I recall, with Cisco DNCS and most operators systems, TA's need to be in the inventory in order to be associated with a subscribers CableCARD. While it is (theoretically) possible to get an alternatively sourced TA into the inventory in order to be linked to a subscribers CableCARD, it may require a supervisors supervisor override to do so. I would not be at all surprised if things do not go well (and if it is possible to get those alternatively sourced into the Charter inventory, I would expect Charter would now consider it their property).
Thanks for the info. I got a supervisor for the county and he stated that customer service was incorrect and they do supply Tuning Adapters still. So the 3 I have may just get swapped for other ones. If Spectrum adds them to their inventory, then that would be a bonus for me if it fails because they would replace it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
So, if I am reading your account correctly, your monthly bill for HSI + CATV +HBO/SHO/Starz including all discounts comes to $143 ($94 + $49) plus tax?

If so, that's still a pretty good deal and roughly comparable to what you could get from Xfinity for a similar arrangement in some areas providing you also had Xfinity Mobile cell phone service.
Well.............. Looks like after 20 or so years, my TiVo time has come to an end. My Roamio seems to have died as it cannot see any cable cards. Spectrum tried 2 cards and my TiVo could not see them. Spectrum offered 2 free DVR's (old 2 tuner) for a year. For now, I said ok, and they are on the way. Wanted to come back and charge my $45.00 to install them.

So last night.... Installed a 2 week freebee of YouTube TV, a 6 month freebee of Hulu bundle (Disney and ESPN+) and a 2 month freebee of AppleTV. Also, have the Spectrum app already installed. YouTube Tv has the best channel selection, but the guide suxs at best. I understand that a new guide is being deployed. You would think they would give that to new users. I would like to test Spectrums streaming service and dvr, but they won't let me do that as long as I have cable service.

Did do an ebay search for a TiVo... Prices a little high @ the moment.

Enjoyed it... But time to move on.....

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,761 Posts
Installed a 2 week freebee of YouTube TV, a 6 month freebee of Hulu bundle (Disney and ESPN+) and a 2 month freebee of AppleTV.
Was that six months free Hulu bundle offer from your wireless provider? Can I assume that it is not for the ad-free tier?

BTW, last week after having let my Apple TV+ sub expire for a few days, I took advantage of stacking two offers (three months directly from Apple and four months from Target) to get seven months free. There was also a three months free deal from BestBuy, but it appears that Apple will not allow you to apply more than one offer at a time from a retail outfit. YMMV.

Comcast currently has some pretty interesting deals for HSI. I am paying $30 net for "gigabit-" (better than 900Mbps typical downstream). And you can get 300Mbps for $20 net depending on what's on offer in a given market.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts