TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After August 28, 2022 all cable cards on Spectrum will be shut down. This means that all 4 of my TIVO will become door stops!
My plan is to set up OTA recorder from Tablo on a digital antenna for local station recording. Then to test apps that stream on the web and provide access to a variety of sources (such as YouTubeTV or Sling, etc) and use their cloud dvr for recordings. So it's Good Bye TIVO and your junkie boxes after 20 years or so. My AppleTV or Roku or Amazon will provide high quality service without breakdowns and expensive replacement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
After August 28, 2022 all cable cards on Spectrum will be shut down. This means that all 4 of my TIVO will become door stops!
My plan is to set up OTA recorder from Tablo on a digital antenna for local station recording. Then to test apps that stream on the web and provide access to a variety of sources (such as YouTubeTV or Sling, etc) and use their cloud dvr for recordings. So it's Good Bye TIVO and your junkie boxes after 20 years or so. My AppleTV or Roku or Amazon will provide high quality service without breakdowns and expensive replacement.
Where are you getting this information? Nothing about it on spectrum website.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I also suspect this is different in different areas of the country - where is the original poster from.
I dealt with Spectrum with my Tivo stuff - working on an issue yesterday and no one mentioned anything about stopping support

·
Registered
679 Posts
I believe that ALL the Spectrum/Charter DVR's still use cable cards in my area. Same card we use in our TiVo's. I've heard nothing about ending support of cable cards, so my guess is that its limited to certain areas.

Spectrum/Charter DVR's in my area are still from the 90's. 2 tuner, 500gb hard drive. All that cutting edge technology for only $34.00 a month.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Spectrum/Charter DVR's in my area are still from the 90's. 2 tuner, 500gb hard drive. All that cutting edge technology for only $34.00 a month.
LOL. Sounds like your market needs to be one of the first ones where Spectrum shuts down QAM and gives all their customers that forthcoming Flex 4K HDR streaming box so they can use the Spectrum TV app with cloud DVR.

Although I imagine a ton of better-informed Spectrum customers in your area have already jumped ship from Spectrum TV to YouTube TV, Hulu with Live TV, DirecTV Stream, Fubo TV, Sling, or Philo in order to stream their must-have cable channels at a lower price with better features.

·
Registered
12,924 Posts
I have been receiving texts and emails from them on a daily basis. I am told that they want to get cable cards off their network because they communicate only one way and are a drag on the network.
Please post your location and verbiage from these daily texts and emails.

I personally wouldn’t believe any representative who used language like it’s a “drag on the network”.

·
Registered
88 Posts
All of this CC drama is dependent on where you live (spectrum/twc absorbed many smaller cable co.s and they all have different operating systems), here in NYC nothing about them being removed but wouldn’t be surprised if getting a new one and cable card support gets harder to do … FioS seems to have them and some have switched over just for that

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I call BS

this article directly contradicts that

"A representative for Charter, which operates the Spectrum brand, told TechHive that any potential changes to CableCARD support are still months away, and the company is working on a solution that would leave support intact."

·
Registered
89 Posts
Lol. Amazing. I am "Tivoman44" from that.

I posted back in December as mentioned above that no one from spectrum could get the cable cards working. 3 calls to the cable card support line, 1 tech visit. I just gave up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a Spectrum technician out two weeks ago to pair a CableCard in my new Tivo Edge, and he told me that Spectrum is ending support for CableCards by the end of this year. He said that Spectrum has a new online DVR service that allows you to record pretty much any and everything you want (he said like 1000 channels at a time), so that will likely be my plan going forward. It sucks because I have 3 Tivo units and really like them, as does my wife.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Although I imagine a ton of better-informed Spectrum customers in your area have already jumped ship from Spectrum TV to YouTube TV, Hulu with Live TV, DirecTV Stream, Fubo TV, Sling, or Philo in order to stream their must-have cable channels at a lower price with better features.
I'll probably jump to YouTube when my TiVo dies. But for now, I get all the basic channels (175) with HBO, ShowTime and Stars for $94.00 (plus tax.) Yup... it is a teaser rate for another 22 months. I just call them and re-negotiate the cost each time. No biggie. But many cable-cutters are probably paying about the same (or more) than I am for the same service. Plus I believe that many of the YouTube channels are 780p. Spectrum also has some 4k that I can watch (via TV app) for no additional charge. So IMO.... YouTube is about the same as cost as cable (minus hardware.) Remember when YouTube first came out? About $45.00 a month. And now? $65.00. Just like cable.....

Spectrum also has a streaming package with a really bad dvr and only 50 hours of space. But the price was only $39.00 a month if you have their internet service. Not for me.....

Where the saving come in with YouTube over Cable is the hardware cost of cable boxes. If anyone is renting a cable box now, moving to a streaming package would save them money. Taking the hardware out of the equation I believve the prices are more compatible. Again... when my TiVo dies.. I'll move to a steaming service.

Some cables companies are moving to online DVR's and if they do it right, might be an issue for others. Time will tell.

Results may vary.. Negotiations skills required.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts