TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please someone confirm this for me?
Spectrum says they do not offer cable cards and you cant use them if you have a spectrum TV Package. ONLY if you have a TWC package....

·
Registered
4,208 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its not that they wont give you one. They are telling me you cant have one with the Spectrum TV package they offer, only with the TWC tv package.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I have TWC so now spectrum.. and I wanted to switch to a spectrum plan (so I can get the 100mb internet) and they said no. I would have to stop using the cable card.

** just thought of something.. this has to be a crock of sh.. because if I look in the back of my DVR box, i can SEE the cable card in it!! it just has a bracket screwed in over it

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
its not that they wont give you one. They are telling me you cant have one with the Spectrum TV package they offer, only with the TWC tv package.
They have to give you one with every package except their streaming only package (I think it's called "Spectrum Stream TV") which doesn't use cable boxes or cards at all but an app. To make it easy on yourself, get the package and take the box, then turn around and exchange the box for a card. If they don't allow that, they've violated the law and an FCC complaint will change their tune.

Whoever is telling you otherwise is either clueless or lying.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
If it were me, I'd do the swap, then return the box if they send one. If your card was paired before, it should still be paired after changing plans, same as if you had a cable box and changed plans.

·
Cranky old novice
9,436 Posts
Agree with @mdavej this is BS. What Spectrum region are you in? I converted from a (legacy) TWC plan to a Spectrum plan over a year ago and I definitely use a CableCARD (and a tuning adapter) --- the exact same equipment I was using on the TWC plan. I did have to stop using my customer-owned cable modem because they furnish the modem and don't give credit for using your own -- and my unit would not have supported 100 Mbps when they went to that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please someone confirm this for me?
Spectrum says they do not offer cable cards and you cant use them if you have a spectrum TV Package. ONLY if you have a TWC package....
I am on a Spectrum plan and have two cable cards/tuning adapters. I previously had a TWC plan with a cable card. I converted to a Spectrum plan about a year ago and there was no mention of cable cards not being available. In fact they are listed in the most recent Spectrum price list.

The average person at Spectrum doesn't know beans about cable card. You may want to try calling the Spectrum Cable Card activation center and have them help you. THEY know cable cards. Spectrum CableCARD™ support at 1-866-532-2598.

·
Premium Member
16,097 Posts
I am on a Spectrum plan and have two cable cards/tuning adapters. I previously had a TWC plan with a cable card. I converted to a Spectrum plan about a year ago and there was no mention of cable cards not being available. In fact they are listed in the most recent Spectrum price list.

The average person at Spectrum doesn't know beans about cable card. You may want to try calling the Spectrum Cable Card activation center and have them help you. THEY know cable cards. Spectrum CableCARD™ support at 1-866-532-2598.
Thanks for the number! That really is important because I am all too familiar with the fact that all the CSRs just don't know anything about CableCARDs and it's imperative to get to the right person without having to tell your story half a dozen times before you are directed to somebody who can help with this specific issue.

I've saved the number. I think I saved it before, but forgot where. D'oh! Now I emailed it to myself and saved the email in a folder so it won't disappear. :)

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Unfortunately that number is no good for legacy Charter areas. It just goes straight to the main support line. Legacy Charter never had dedicated cable card support agents and still doesn't. You get agents who don't even know what a cable card is. I'm jealous of legacy TWC customers.

·
Premium Member
16,097 Posts
Unfortunately that number is no good for legacy Charter areas. It just goes straight to the main support line. Legacy Charter never had dedicated cable card support agents and still doesn't. You get agents who don't even know what a cable card is. I'm jealous of legacy TWC customers.
Well, that sucks. :( Been with Charter for decades here and then when they bought up some other cable companies they changed their name to Spectrum.

I remember when I bought my second Bolt last year I got some number that actually did go to somebody who knew the ins and outs of cable cards and such. Maybe I just lucked out big time. ;) Odd, as I tend to be like the unluckiest person on the planet for the most part.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Well, that sucks. :( Been with Charter for decades here and then when they bought up some other cable companies they changed their name to Spectrum.
I remember when I bought my second Bolt last year I got some number that actually did go to somebody who knew the ins and outs of cable cards and such. Maybe I just lucked out big time. ;) Odd, as I tend to be like the unluckiest person on the planet for the most part.
Wow, to live in Nevada and be unlucky. That hurts. :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agree with @mdavej this is BS. What Spectrum region are you in? I converted from a (legacy) TWC plan to a Spectrum plan over a year ago and I definitely use a CableCARD (and a tuning adapter) --- the exact same equipment I was using on the TWC plan. I did have to stop using my customer-owned cable modem because they furnish the modem and don't give credit for using your own -- and my unit would not have supported 100 Mbps when they went to that.
Im in Rochester NY area...

I know the avg person is not smart.. but I called 4 times and each person said the same thing. BUT, the twitter support said they were wrong. lol - i knew it had to be wrong, because their own darn DVRs use cable cards lol - I can see it through the vents in the top

THANKS ALL. I will start the battle again soon!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Did anyone else get something in the mail from spectrum about losing channels with cable cards come September and something about they are sending out some type of box you have to use now or you will lose channels? I asked them to send it to me a few weeks ago it came the other day but we aren't sure but i think they said it replacesyou're cable cards and it's free we pay to rent the cards but I know she mentioned if we don't use it we lose channels.

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
Did anyone else get something in the mail from spectrum about losing channels with cable cards come September and something about they are sending out some type of box you have to use now or you will lose channels? I asked them to send it to me a few weeks ago it came the other day but we aren't sure but i think they said it replacesyou're cable cards and it's free we pay to rent the cards but I know she mentioned if we don't use it we lose channels.
Check out this thread which is also about Spectrum deploying SDV in some locations (it also has a link to another thread about it).

Tuning Adapter required by August 1st but they can't provide one

You will need to use the tuning adapter to receive any channels that have been moved to SDV. It definitely does not replace your CableCARD. If you don't watch any of the channels that are moved to SDV, then you don't need to worry about the TA. :)

Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out this thread which is also about Spectrum deploying SDV in some locations (it also has a link to another thread about it).

Tuning Adapter required by August 1st but they can't provide one

You will need to using the tuning adapter to receive any channels that have been moved to SDV. It definitely does not replace your CableCARD. If you don't watch any of the channels that are moved to SDV, then you don't need to worry about the TA. :)

Scott
Spectrum(TWC) went all digital in my area a couple years ago so a tuning adapter (provided at no charge) is required in addition to the cable card to receive certain channels. There is a pretty good discussion of tuning adapters on the Spectrum support site at Spectrum.net. Click on the link for Switched Digital Video (SDV).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.