TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Clave Man
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The future for Spectrum has no cable cards. At least according to a letter I received today..

Please share any information you have on converting a Spectrum cablecard account to the newest TiVo EDGE for Cable (or is there an alternative TiVo offering Spectrum will support..)

In today's mailbox..

SEPTEMBER 16, 2022
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR SPECTRUM TV SERVICE

Dear Spectrum Customer,

Spectrum is committed to [blah blah... vague announcement about additional HD channels..]

On or after September 20, 2022 [more vague info about additional HD channels]

Note: If you are using TiVo device series 1,2, or 3, you will need to contact TiVo to upgrade to the newest series to avoid any disruption to your service.

Thank you for being a Spectrum customer.
Do I need to drop $800 on two of these TiVo EDGE for Cable boxes?
I have not lost yet lost my service .. but the letter I received is pretty clear. Its over.
Font Parallel Document Number Rectangle

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
This old Zatz post fits the S1-S3 scope of the email:

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
I have not lost yet lost my service .. but the letter I received is pretty clear. Its over. View attachment 75459
No it’s not over. You’re not going to lose service.

Did you read the sentence that says “Your SD channels will remain unchanged.”

HD channels will no longer be compatible with these devices which are 15+ years old.

This is basically a non-event.

·
TDL shepherd
17,538 Posts
HD deployments aren’t being supported in 15+ years old devices! That’s it!
Per the letter, just new HD channels … for which there are currently SD duplicates. So per the letter, nothing should be changing AT ALL relative to existing service levels … unless hidden from the letter is that they’ll begin broadcasting the SD channels using MPEG4, as well.

edit: Hmm… given S1-S3 are incapable of HD, it does make the letter suspicious. Is the plan is to eliminate the SD duplicates at some later date, at which point the S1-3 units would be SOL?

·
Registered
589 Posts
given S1-S3 are incapable of HD,
Series 3 does HD (720p and 1080i). The later TiVo HD was pretty much just a cost-reduced version of the Series 3 model.

The problem with the Series 3 is that it only supports MPEG-2, not MPEG-4. (While TiVo provided a software update to the TiVo HD to enable MPEG-4, they neglected to do so for the original Series 3 model. From what I recall that wasn't due to any significant difference in hardware, just a business decision on TiVo's part.)

·
TiVo Lover
293 Posts
I know this was from 2 weeks ago, but it's kind of funny they mention the Series 1 on this letter since you can't use the TiVo Service with it anymore.

TiVo chat support doesn't seem to know that. I've asked 2 agents to test their knowledge and they each think that you still can use the TiVo Service with the Series 1. TiVo's support site doesn't mention that they discontinued the TiVo Service for it in 2016, not sure why they don't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts