TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm with Spectrum in Southern Calif. Certain channels are breaking up. In the Diagnostics, they are all showing as 69000 Khz with different program numbers. The Spectrum tech will be coming out (again) to try to fix it next week. Signal strength on these channels is 93%. SNR 37db

Does the fact that they are all on the same Frequency mean anything?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm with Spectrum in Southern Calif. Certain channels are breaking up. In the Diagnostics, they are all showing as 69000 Khz with different program numbers. The Spectrum tech will be coming out (again) to try to fix it next week. Signal strength on these channels is 93%. SNR 37db

Does the fact that they are all on the same Frequency mean anything?
For the record, I'll answer my own question. Turns out the Frequency meant nothing. I forgot to mention that Spectrum had already put a booster on each of my 5 runs. It was only the longest run that had the worst problem.

The problem was the coax cable within the house. The coax is 50 years old, built in with the house. Spectrum service guy said, "I think we if we replace this one run of coax all your problems will go away." He was right. The signal strength improved to 96% and SNR 38db and all is well now. It amazed me that he suggested it and then carried out the work like a pro, running through the garage, over the front door and into the house with a small hole drilled through the living room wall.. There were no charges. I was stunned after all the horror stories about Spectrum. So my problem turned out to be the coax itself on this long run.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Spectrum service guy said, "I think we if we replace this one run of coax all your problems will go away." He was right. The signal strength improved to 96% and SNR 38db and all is well now. It amazed me that he suggested it and then carried out the work like a pro, running through the garage, over the front door and into the house with a small hole drilled through the living room wall.. There were no charges. I was stunned after all the horror stories about Spectrum. So my problem turned out to be the coax itself on this long run.
You lucked out and got the good guy, a guy came to our church and drilled 3 holes, used one then sloppily ran the wire up the wall and into the ceiling tile. I asked why he didn't drill in above the ceiling tile so we didn't have it running up the wall to which he replied, "I can do that if you want..." We later had to have a second guy come out because he left us with loose connections.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts