TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just signed up for Spectrum this week and received my self-install kit yesterday with 2 Cisco TA's (That "looked" brand new. Had to take the sticky film off the glossy parts of the TA's and the modem as well. Not a scratch on any of them.) and also received 2 Cisco CableCards (which also "look" brand new"). I have my own better router of course. Now, I live in DFW, so I guess the mileage may vary and "they could be phasing them out in some areas), but obviously not "everywhere and not here. Them not supporting CableCard sounds like some obviously stupid crap given to you by a CSR that doesn't know any better. My self-install order telling the rep what I needed was quick and painless and got it all.
I too am in DFW with Spectrum and an Edge with Card and tuning adapter. I had 3-4 tech's come before I got the card and tuning adapter. They had not ever installed one. So I sent them away and the next day I got it all playing. It took a few phone calls to get the tuning adapter & card registered. TiVo support was very helpful. Now after a year or so I am getting Pixelating and audio dropouts on all channels. Three truck rolls and still bad. Never bad when they are here. Very Frustrating.
JS

·
Registered
18 Posts
I run spectrum with 3 CC and 3 Tuning Adapters and I'm not sure it's much better. Most channels require no tuning adapter (guessing you do need a CC). I'm not sure how many channels I have but if I estimate 300, maybe 35 require the TA. Of them, about 1/3 simply don't work any given day. AXS, BBC America, Smithsonian, Science Channel, etc... If I reboot the TiVo and the TA it often fixes the problem but usually not all at the same time. Basically, I'm always missing some channels. The problem varies too. In my Edge it's really bad. On my Roamio Pro it's the best. On my XL4 it's in between. The real problem with this is that if one of the 6 tuners flips to one of these channels (like to record a show) and the channel won't tune in, the TiVo will hunt for it including restarting the TA on its own. There after it will restart the TA over and over and over...

Long story short, TiVo via Spectrum is not as easy as just getting the equipment. I run 3 TiVos because 1 simply wouldn't work. Unless you don't mind missing show you hoped to tape.
I have one Edge 2Tb and the small light box (forgot the name) fed via a LAN cable for the bedroom. After 3 truck roll's and still in trouble I called TiVo and went over the TA diagnostics. They said the level was too hot. 100% & 42db SNR sounded good to me but they said it needs to be less. I ordered some attenuators. I do have a spectrum analyzer and an MEG Quam stream analyzer to evaluate their network. I have seen the light box not show a pgm when the Edge is recording several pgms. It has not been a huge problem. Before I thrown in the towel I will evaluate some more. My only other choice is Direct TV. I was on TVision for a few years and the pictures were great but the reliability was not there. Let's see if lowering the level helps with the macro blocking. Ck your TA diagnostics and report back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts