TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
This is just terrible…. Not sure why the FCC would give the okay to end Cable Card support…. I would be very persistent and keep calling to try to get different representatives with the hope of connecting with the right one. If you truly strike out and you are in a good reception area and your TiVo can do over the air you can maybe do OTA and a streaming service…. Good luck
Yeah, if a rep at your cable provider says they've stopped supporting CableCARDs, the best advice is to just keep trying different people there. If they have a local office/store, try there too. I'm not aware of any provider, including Charter Spectrum, who has officially made a statement (on their website, via press release, etc.) about abandoning CableCARD. So I doubt it's true but who knows, maybe.

If you ultimately give up on it, well, as mdavej says, that just means it's finally time to move on from TiVo and check out your other options, which basically boil down to satellite plus the various streaming cable TV services, or instead just using your TiVo with free OTA TV and giving up on cable channels.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Before I thrown in the towel I will evaluate some more. My only other choice is Direct TV. I was on TVision for a few years and the pictures were great but the reliability was not there. Let's see if lowering the level helps with the macro blocking. Ck your TA diagnostics and report back.
I know next to nothing about these matters but countless techs and reps have tried to fix it but they never do. I'd prefer Directv but it would be seasonal because I have trees with leaves so can't get a clear path. Directv was a pain too but it was less problematic Spectrum. Snow was the only real problem I had. Once I mounted my dish where I could sweep it, the problem was minimal. For now through, I do my best with the TiVos.
In case you're not aware of it, there's a streaming version of DirecTV called AT&T TV. It will be relaunched this Thursday as DirecTV Stream now that AT&T has spun it off to a separate company. Given that Spectrum's broadband service has unlimited data (no data cap), DirecTV Stream might be a good option for you. It has excellent HD picture quality (pretty much the best of any cable TV service in the nation) and you can access it via apps on your own streaming devices (Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV) or via an optional custom box and remote that they sell. It has both advantages and disadvantages versus traditional cable TV + TiVo. No idea if you'd end up paying less or more than you do now.

And besides DirecTV Stream, there are other streaming cable TV services like YouTube TV and FuboTV. They all have their pluses and minuses. But given the headaches involved with using a TiVo plus tuner adapter on Spectrum, those are options you might want to consider.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
You might want to give TVision a second look. It has been replaced by Youtube TV plus a $10/month discount, bringing the price down to $55, and you get the full Youtube TV service with 9 month DVR, 6 profiles, and PBS, all of which AT&T TV/DirecTV Stream lack.
Yeah, YTTV at $55/mo is a pretty great deal, assuming you don't need your local RSNs. It's still missing a few popular channels but those gaps can be filled with Philo (including unlimited 12-month DVR), which you can get for just $15/mo after the T-Mobile discount. So a total of $70/mo, if you don't need RSNs and don't mind using two different apps/UIs on a streaming device to get all your channels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts