TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Clave Man
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is an extension of the first thread (announcement from Spectrum that they are rolling out a replacement for the Tuning Adapter boxes which allow our TiVo consoles to work).

I recently got two HSC Converter black boxes delivered to use to swap out the "old" tuning adapter's my two TiVo boxes.

[UPDATE - link to application for a free HSC Converter Device Spectrum.net (from other discussion) is HTTP 404 (Not Found) tonight.. oops. It is reasonable to assume other Spectrum CableCard users will get a letter/email with instructions when this update applies to your area]

Here are photos.

This thread is for actual installation tips and info.
All I know is I have until January 16, 2023 to swap out my current Tuning Adapters with these.. More soon..

Rectangle Font Material property Tints and shades Gas

Pamphlet Page 1
Font Material property Publication Automotive design Paper

Pamphlet Page 2
Product Book Font Publication Material property

Pamphlet Page 3
Sleeve Publication Font Book Material property

· Clave Man
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tonight I swapped out my Tuning Adapter for the new HSC box provided by Spectrum. It was a total "non event".

• Unplugged TiVo BOLT
  • Unplugged Tuning Adapter
  • Removed old Tuning Adapter and TiVo BOLT from cabinet.
  • Wired up the new HSC as instructed (same wire connection setup as before)
  • Unplug Cable Modem
  • Plug in Cable Modem
  • Plug in HSC
  • Bootup TiVo
  • Wait 20 minutes
  • Channels appear.
  • Check channels I receive. Looks good.
Cable Card still works!

Before swapout
Table Furniture Desk Wood Input device

Wired up (same as before). HSC Box on right replaces Tuning Adapter. Wire on the right goes to the Cable Modem.
Audio equipment Gas Wire Electronic device Cable

Swapout Complete. Time to wait for mothership to filter out channels I don't pay for using the HSC.
Wood Office equipment Peripheral Gadget Computer hardware

Ooh... The TiVo recognizes "HSC"...
Font Display device Multimedia Screenshot Rectangle

That's it. Fear not. There is no phase out of CableCards for the foreseeable future thanks to this HSC device.
I presume Spectrum will contact you when you need to switchover.

Nothing is better with an HSC. Nothing is worse either. (so far anyway).

Good luck!

· Registered
68 Posts
Based on recommendations in the past I have a splitter before my tuning adapters, such that they don’t feed into the TiVos, (I think it was related to improving signal quality in general or maybe MoCa.). Will that setup still work with the HSCs? Or are these boxes actually modulating the coax signal itself?

· Clave Man
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How about a heat issue for either device?? Especially how HOT that Bolt gets. o_O
YES that setup was HOT.
My kitchen thermometer put above the HSV was 131 degrees F. The temperature below the HSC was 107.

I rearranged the units (rotated my BOLT 90 degrees sideways) and the top of the HSC is “only” 107 degrees.

Tell me if I’m wrong but the only reason the tuning adapter (or HSC) box exists is to make sure I don’t get all channels (just the Silver and sports packs thank you very much..).

I would love to know how much electricity they use. Power company says I use $42 $51 a month for “standby” equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
68 Posts
Based on recommendations in the past I have a splitter before my tuning adapters, such that they don’t feed into the TiVos, (I think it was related to improving signal quality in general or maybe MoCa.). Will that setup still work with the HSCs? Or are these boxes actually modulating the coax signal itself?
Answering myself here.. I plugged it in the way it is shown (no splitter) and the MoCa works just fine. It is always hard to tell with SDV but everything seems to be good.

· Registered
322 Posts
That's it. Fear not. There is no phase out of CableCards for the foreseeable future thanks to this HSC device.
I presume Spectrum will contact you when you need to switchover.

Nothing is better with an HSC. Nothing is worse either. (so far anyway).

Good luck!
@gbshuler
Thanks for all the pictures and the effort ... calms my nerves .. At last we have some clarity for Cable card future, at least with Spectrum. Not thrilled with the HSC unit size, but I'll take it over Cable card extinction. Meanwhile, in Southern California, no HSC notice yet.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,
I hooked up my HSC yesterday expecting a nightmare like when did first TA in 2012,
Well, pleasantly surprised, hooked up in series like requested, cable in to HSC then to Roamio.
Powered up...... HSC blnked blue, went solid blue. Tivo said no tuning adapter so called Spectrum.
Got around "robot" to real person and told him what I was doing. He asked for the serial number of the HSC, we double checked that serial number a couple of times, he entered it in the system and in 5 seconds I had Tivo/Spectrum back. All channels worked and my mini's on moca also worked fine after rebooting the mini's,(y)
Surprising pleasant experience with spectrum support and Tivo still working on day 2., The big test is the 16th when they make the change to there system. So I will know the true outcome when I wake up on the 17th and try to watch morning news. :)
John
St. Louis

· Registered
134 Posts
I placed an online order through Spectrum on Jan. 8th for this new HSC equipment although I do not know the exact change-over date for my area (South Carolina). I called to check on the status of my order today and they are still processing it and they indicated they are having some supply chain issues. My questions for those who have already gone through this conversion or those who know how this process will work - (1) When the change is made in my area, how exactly do they coordinate the switch with customers? (2) Will I loose all of my cable card channels until I get the new box hooked up or just the channels related to the need for a tuning adapter? (A Spectrum rep indicated to me they thought it would impact all channels.) (3) Can the new equipment be set up in advance of Spectrum making the change in my area or do I have to carefully coordinate it when they make the change? (A rep indicated it could take up to 5 days for the change to take affect with my cable cards.) (4) Does this change impact the regular Spectrum cable boxes?
I am just trying to ensure that my TV viewing is not disrupted during this conversion. Thanks in advance for any responses to my questions.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have an HSC that is working fine in parallel with the Tivo (separate coax inputs) the same as before with the Tivo-recommended configuration. The HSC is just a fancy tuning adapter and does a trick with the OOB frequency. I have a special situation here because Dallas has not actually gone live with high split. When wired in series (Spectrum recommendation) I think the HSC was blocking the cable card, maybe similar to how a tuning adapter blocks MOCA if installed this way. The good news is that the new HSC is almost plug-and-play, AKA self-actuating or pre-actuated, so no need to call in for actuation. The Tivo says my cablecard is not paired, but it is working fine. Spectrum Dallas did some kind of work in advance of high split and it killed my tuning adapter. If your tuning adapter is working, DO NOT reboot it. After I did that, it refused to be actuated even though it had been working fine except for a minor problem. I am very pleased that Spectrum is continuing to support Tivo and cablecards.

· Registered
322 Posts
I have an HSC that is working fine in parallel with the Tivo (separate coax inputs) the same as before with the Tivo-recommended configuration. The HSC is just a fancy tuning adapter and does a trick with the OOB frequency. I have a special situation here because Dallas has not actually gone live with high split. When wired in series (Spectrum recommendation) I think the HSC was blocking the cable card, maybe similar to how a tuning adapter blocks MOCA if installed this way. The good news is that the new HSC is almost plug-and-play, AKA self-actuating or pre-actuated, so no need to call in for actuation. The Tivo says my cablecard is not paired, but it is working fine. Spectrum Dallas did some kind of work in advance of high split and it killed my tuning adapter. If your tuning adapter is working, DO NOT reboot it. After I did that, it refused to be actuated even though it had been working fine except for a minor problem. I am very pleased that Spectrum is continuing to support Tivo and cablecards.
Nothing yet in Southern Calif about HSC .. but very happy to hear that Spectrum is continuing to support cable cards. Excellent. Thanks for posting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts