TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spectrum cable, i’ve been notified by spectrum cable that they will no longer be offering the cable cards and they are doing an upgrade so my current cable card will no longer be working on my TiVo edge has anybody heard about this,
I just bought the TiVo edge and now I’m finding out that I may not be able to use it because the cable card will no longer work does anybody know anything about this. I have been A TiVo customer since the year of 2000 January 1 of 2000.

thank you

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Started being discussed here. Without any specific cutoff date they're just trying to scare you to turn in your cablecard. If they ever really do turn off your cablecard then cancel Spectrum because there are streaming alternatives to their streaming system.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Spectrum cable, i’ve been notified by spectrum cable that they will no longer be offering the cable cards and they are doing an upgrade so my current cable card will no longer be working on my TiVo edge has anybody heard about this,
I just bought the TiVo edge and now I’m finding out that I may not be able to use it because the cable card will no longer work does anybody know anything about this. I have been A TiVo customer since the year of 2000 January 1 of 2000.

thank you
Hi,

I'm getting the exact same emails and regular mails that you are. I have spoken to Spectrum twice. I called support the line number and asked when they would no longer support my Roamio. Person on the other end admitted that there is no definite cutoff date and that they were just trying to get Tivo users to stop using their Tivos. I asked that they stop sending me the emails/mail. They continued to send them so I thought if they do stop supporting, I would take advantage of the offers: Free cable box for 2 years, free Cloud DVR for 2 years, Apple TV at 1/2 price. This time I called the number listed on the email/mail. The person on the other end again said there was no definite date to stop the service and who was my cell phone provider. Why was he asking me that, this had nothing to do with why I called. He kept wanting to sell me a cell phone package. I said I had no interest in that and that wasn't why I called. He tried several times to sell me this package. I said I wanted to talk about the offers listed. I then read them off the mail. He didn't know anything about them, put me hold to ask his boss, and finally admitted that I didn't qualify for any to the offers. I said rather forcefully to stop sending me any more emails/mail if they aren't going to honor the offer and hung up. If I get anymore of these offers I am calling the BBB to complain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
....they're just trying to scare you to turn in your cablecard. If they ever really do turn off your cablecard then cancel Spectrum because there are streaming alternatives to their streaming system.
I like having shows on a local disk. If the streaming fails, then what? Does the Spectrum box have a disk?

Where I live, Spectrum has outages more than I like. I want a DVR (TiVo preferably) that has a disk and as good a UI as possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I was a Spectrum Cable subscriber I had their DVR which wasn't as good as a TiVo. It was slow and clunky. I was using it less often and instead relied on Spectrum's very good on demand system. Seems I could go to a channel and call up just about any show any time. I broke away from cable TV and just keep them for internet because the price kept rising and we don't watch enough TV to make it worth it. TiVo OTA to the rescue! All the programming on the subchannels in my area keeps the TiVo stocked with more good TV than I can watch!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not getting any Spectrum notices (yet).....earlier this year I bought a new Edge (prior units Premiere and Bolt) - I still was using the original Motorola card from my Premiere (approx 2010 with COMCAST).
At that time they asked my to turn it in and get a CISCO. I told them the Motorola was my property and that it worked fine with my Premiere and BOLT on Spectrum (I was part of the beta for TIVO and COMCAST). I know they only cost approx $10 or less but they still keep charging me $2.50/month. When I called about the charges, I was told they won't be supporting the cards soon - no date provided. Is there possibly a department within TIVO that works with cable companies?

My brother's cable company (not Spectrum in another city) is buying TIVO Streams and modifying them to work within their network instead of "cable boxes". Their config seems to be a cloud environment where 60hours of programming is stored for playback. Additional space can be purchased. It used the Hydra gui and a modified remote.

·
Registered
12,924 Posts
I'm not getting any Spectrum notices (yet).....earlier this year I bought a new Edge (prior units Premiere and Bolt) - I still was using the original Motorola card from my Premiere (approx 2010 with COMCAST).
At that time they asked my to turn it in and get a CISCO. I told them the Motorola was my property and that it worked fine with my Premiere and BOLT on Spectrum (I was part of the beta for TIVO and COMCAST). I know they only cost approx $10 or less but they still keep charging me $2.50/month. When I called about the charges, I was told they won't be supporting the cards soon - no date provided. Is there possibly a department within TIVO that works with cable companies?

My brother's cable company (not Spectrum in another city) is buying TIVO Streams and modifying them to work within their network instead of "cable boxes". Their config seems to be a cloud environment where 60hours of programming is stored for playback. Additional space can be purchased. It used the Hydra gui and a modified remote.
Your brother’s cable company is not buying Streams and modifying them.

They have a partnership with TiVo to license their hardware and software and lease them to their subscribers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just received confirmation, after getting several emails and letters, that at least in my area of Central Kentucky, beginning on or before the end of August 2022, any and all CableCARDs and devices with embedded CableCARDs will cease to function. This includes the CableCARDs themselves, and it also includes any Spectrum receivers which have embedded CableCARDs such as the Arris Motorola DCX 32xx models. All of the affected equipment will be replaced with current DVR receivers which do not use any CableCARD or CableCARD/Tuning Adapter combo technology.

Both a local technician and customer service representative confirmed that, if the equipment is not changed out by the time the system upgrade occurs on or before the end of August, the affected equipment will no longer be able to utilize any Spectrum TV services as the system upgrade will automatically cause deactivation, unpairing, and removal of any and all CableCARDs and Spectrum receivers with embedded CableCARDs from customer accounts.

I’m not sure if this will happen company-wide all at the same time or if it will happen region by region or area by area, but I was told Spectrum will no longer use CableCARD technology of any type, and once the upgrade completes, the technology will be considered decommissioned and retired.

It will be sad having to give up TiVo because, to me, it is the best out there, but it is looking like CableCARDs are about to become a historic thing of the past, at least as far Spectrum is concerned, and other MVPDs may follow suit if they haven’t already.

·
Registered
12,924 Posts
I just received confirmation, after getting several emails and letters, that at least in my area of Central Kentucky, beginning on or before the end of August 2022, any and all CableCARDs and devices with embedded CableCARDs will cease to function. This includes the CableCARDs themselves, and it also includes any Spectrum receivers which have embedded CableCARDs such as the Arris Motorola DCX 32xx models. All of the affected equipment will be replaced with current DVR receivers which do not use any CableCARD or CableCARD/Tuning Adapter combo technology.

Both a local technician and customer service representative confirmed that, if the equipment is not changed out by the time the system upgrade occurs on or before the end of August, the affected equipment will no longer be able to utilize any Spectrum TV services as the system upgrade will automatically cause deactivation, unpairing, and removal of any and all CableCARDs and Spectrum receivers with embedded CableCARDs from customer accounts.

I’m not sure if this will happen company-wide all at the same time or if it will happen region by region or area by area, but I was told Spectrum will no longer use CableCARD technology of any type, and once the upgrade completes, the technology will be considered decommissioned and retired.

It will be sad having to give up TiVo because, to me, it is the best out there, but it is looking like CableCARDs are about to become a historic thing of the past, at least as far Spectrum is concerned, and other MVPDs may follow suit if they haven’t already.
Please post the letters and emails you’ve received that give such definitive dates and details.

Until then, I don’t believe ANYTHING a “local technician” or “customer service representative” says. Especially when what they tell you is so extreme and dire.

If your CC device is going to completely cease to function in less than 6 weeks, Spectrum would be sending you very detailed written confirmation.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Please post the letters and emails you’ve received that give such definitive dates and details.

Until then, I don’t believe ANYTHING a “local technician” or “customer service representative” says. Especially when what they tell you is so extreme and dire.

If your CC device is going to completely cease to function in less than 6 weeks, Spectrum would be sending you very detailed written confirmation.
The letters and emails weren’t what gave specific dates and details. I simply kept ignoring those, as they have been coming for about 3 to 4 months now, until we got a call from Spectrum today to discuss what is getting ready to take place. The person who called gave us the information about what and when.

After I talked to them, I called a local technician, whom has also been a great and very trustworthy friend of ours for many years, to ask him if what I was told was legitimate or if it was just an attempt to get us to give up our CableCARDs and upsell us to switch to their units. He advised me it was actually legitimate in our area. He was actually the technician who installed our CableCARD and Tuning Adapter when we got our TiVo Premier Series 4 shortly after it came out and back when it was Time Warner Cable. He told us that, between him and the gatepost, we were better off with TiVo than one of their DVRs.

He also helped us get our CableCARD transferred to our new TiVo Edge For Cable unit when the power supply in our Premier Series 4 finally bit the dust. I hated that, too, because it was the last TiVo unit manufactured that let me have cable and my antenna all-in-one without having to have separate dedicated units or having to switch any cables back and forth to go from one to the other. That was a little less than a year ago, and at that time he told us we might not get to continue using our new TiVo Edge with Spectrum for much longer because the plan to permanently phase out and kill all remaining CableCARDs was already in the works. At that time, he didn’t know for sure when our area would be completed, but he said to hold on to our CableCARD and Tuning Adapter for as long as we could until the time came involving the system upgrade which would kill all of the CableCARDs that were still active on our area’s system upon completion.

We have known him personally since before he ever worked for Time Warner and now Spectrum, and he has always been a straight up honest person so I trust him to be honest about this issue, too, which after confirming with him today whether or not Spectrum was being truthful, he said unfortunately yes, and it will be by the end of August 2022 in our area. He also knows that, with me having worked a number of years in the Telecommunications industry selling similar products for a competitor, I am all to familiar with the tactics companies use to try to get a customer to buy something or to take an upsell on something that the customer doesn’t really need, want, or isn’t truly necessary for them to maintain their current level of service as is.

A while back, our area went to all digital encryption where you have to have a receiver of some kind regardless of whether or not the TV is a smart TV with a Clear QAM-256 tuner, and when Spectrum support couldn’t seem to figure out why certain channels starting saying they were no longer authorized after that overnight upgrade, even though they worked up to the time the upgrade occurred, he was the only one who actually knew how to solve it which ended up having to do with the fact that we were a legacy Time Warner subscriber. He made sure to emphasize that no higher priced package or rate would be required to get things back working again, and he made sure Spectrum didn’t try to upsell us to fix it even though he knew I wouldn’t have settled for that anyway because I knew better.

I normally only call him on tech issues when it is something I can’t solve myself but where there is no need to wait on the phone for Spectrum support because it is a fairly simple fix I can generally perform myself, without the need for CSR intervention, after him telling me how to do it or when there is something to which I need to get a truthful and trustworthy confirmation about to make sure what is the truth and what is not.

I know there is a lot of doing and saying in my response here, but since I very much trust my longtime friend, and he has never steered me wrong, I don’t have any reason, at this point, to doubt what he says about Spectrum killing all of the CableCARDs, and all of the cable boxes containing embedded CableCARDs, still left out there in Spectrum’s cable ecosystem. From what I can tell, with his information, it sounds like the change will more likely occur area by area, rather than all at once company-wide, like how it did with the Swtiched Digital Video (SDV) upgrade and the conversion upgrade to all digital which did away with being able to see some cable channels without requiring a cable box because of where different head-ends and systems were not all at the same points in their system upgrade lifecycles.

I wish I could be the bearer of better news on this, but after getting confirmation from a truly trusted source, it currently appears that this is actually going to happen, and also that more likely, rather than an all at once company-wide scenario playing out, the scenario will end up as one where the area and system, in which each affected customer resides, will play the bigger factor as to when Spectrum will do the system upgrade in their area.

·
Registered
12,924 Posts
The letters and emails weren’t what gave specific dates and details. I simply kept ignoring those, as they have been coming for about 3 to 4 months now, until we got a call from Spectrum today to discuss what is getting ready to take place. The person who called gave us the information about what and when.

After I talked to them, I called a local technician, whom has also been a great and very trustworthy friend of ours for many years, to ask him if what I was told was legitimate or if it was just an attempt to get us to give up our CableCARDs and upsell us to switch to their units. He advised me it was actually legitimate in our area. He was actually the technician who installed our CableCARD and Tuning Adapter when we got our TiVo Premier Series 4 shortly after it came out and back when it was Time Warner Cable. He told us that, between him and the gatepost, we were better off with TiVo than one of their DVRs.

He also helped us get our CableCARD transferred to our new TiVo Edge For Cable unit when the power supply in our Premier Series 4 finally bit the dust. I hated that, too, because it was the last TiVo unit manufactured that let me have cable and my antenna all-in-one without having to have separate dedicated units or having to switch any cables back and forth to go from one to the other. That was a little less than a year ago, and at that time he told us we might not get to continue using our new TiVo Edge with Spectrum for much longer because the plan to permanently phase out and kill all remaining CableCARDs was already in the works. At that time, he didn’t know for sure when our area would be completed, but he said to hold on to our CableCARD and Tuning Adapter for as long as we could until the time came involving the system upgrade which would kill all of the CableCARDs that were still active on our area’s system upon completion.

We have known him personally since before he ever worked for Time Warner and now Spectrum, and he has always been a straight up honest person so I trust him to be honest about this issue, too, which after confirming with him today whether or not Spectrum was being truthful, he said unfortunately yes, and it will be by the end of August 2022 in our area. He also knows that, with me having worked a number of years in the Telecommunications industry selling similar products for a competitor, I am all to familiar with the tactics companies use to try to get a customer to buy something or to take an upsell on something that the customer doesn’t really need, want, or isn’t truly necessary for them to maintain their current level of service as is.

A while back, our area went to all digital encryption where you have to have a receiver of some kind regardless of whether or not the TV is a smart TV with a Clear QAM-256 tuner, and when Spectrum support couldn’t seem to figure out why certain channels starting saying they were no longer authorized after that overnight upgrade, even though they worked up to the time the upgrade occurred, he was the only one who actually knew how to solve it which ended up having to do with the fact that we were a legacy Time Warner subscriber. He made sure to emphasize that no higher priced package or rate would be required to get things back working again, and he made sure Spectrum didn’t try to upsell us to fix it even though he knew I wouldn’t have settled for that anyway because I knew better.

I normally only call him on tech issues when it is something I can’t solve myself but where there is no need to wait on the phone for Spectrum support because it is a fairly simple fix I can generally perform myself, without the need for CSR intervention, after him telling me how to do it or when there is something to which I need to get a truthful and trustworthy confirmation about to make sure what is the truth and what is not.

I know there is a lot of doing and saying in my response here, but since I very much trust my longtime friend, and he has never steered me wrong, I don’t have any reason, at this point, to doubt what he says about Spectrum killing all of the CableCARDs, and all of the cable boxes containing embedded CableCARDs, still left out there in Spectrum’s cable ecosystem. From what I can tell, with his information, it sounds like the change will more likely occur area by area, rather than all at once company-wide, like how it did with the Swtiched Digital Video (SDV) upgrade and the conversion upgrade to all digital which did away with being able to see some cable channels without requiring a cable box because of where different head-ends and systems were not all at the same points in their system upgrade lifecycles.

I wish I could be the bearer of better news on this, but after getting confirmation from a truly trusted source, it currently appears that this is actually going to happen, and also that more likely, rather than an all at once company-wide scenario playing out, the scenario will end up as one where the area and system, in which each affected customer resides, will play the bigger factor as to when Spectrum will do the system upgrade in their area.
So, to summarize, you claim Spectrum is making a change to their system which will render your equipment 100% unable to receive their service in less than 6 weeks and you’ve received no formal written communication with specific steps necessary to retain you as a customer able to receive service?

Sorry, I don’t think that’s likely.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So, to summarize, you claim Spectrum is making a change to their system which will render your equipment 100% unable to receive their service in less than 6 weeks and you’ve received no formal written communication with specific steps necessary to retain you as a customer able to receive service?

Sorry, I don’t think that’s likely.
I was initially communicated by letter about the change around 12 or better weeks ago, but I had been ignoring all of the emails and letters I had gotten since then because I didn’t initially believe they would be all out doing that as was stated in the letters and emails since it was quite the radical move to be making in leaving customers with devices which use CableCARDs unable to continue using them with Spectrum TV service.

Then came a call yesterday to which I confirmed with a very much trusted source whom him and I have known each other as very good friends on a personal level for many years. If I question something Spectrum says and truly want to know the real deal as to whether or not such matter carries any merit, he is literally the next best thing to seeing an actual official company memo on such matter in question. On such a radical issue like that, I will always seek his knowledge before making a determination of whether or not the issue warrants my attention to it because I know he will tell me honestly either way it goes and regardless of whether the outcome would be in my favor or in Spectrum’s favor.

The letters and emails did communicate steps to follow, but I didn’t include those because that didn’t seem to be in the meat of the discussion, before I first responded to it, other than that some of the responses indicated they also got letters about the change while others indicated they have not as of yet. Those who have not gotten letters appear to not have a projected timeframe on the hit list yet while those who have gotten letters are getting them multiple months prior to when action needs to be taken along with subsequent communications about every couple of weeks after that if they don’t respond.

The steps mentioned were either that we would be supplied with a free DVR receiver for each affected device, or if we didn’t want Spectrum’s units, we could instead use an Apple TV+, which is not related to Spectrum in any way, as Apple TV+ supports HD and SD viewing all of the channels (also including the local channels) via the free streaming app available in the Apple TV+ App Store along with Spectrum supplying free Cloud DVR on their end to retain the DVR ability being lost as a result of no more TiVo. The letter did not specifically mention, but if the customer has a Roku 3 or later device which still has the Spectrum TV app installed, like how mine is, that can also be used instead as it will also allow HD and SD viewing of all the of channels (also including the local channels) along with Spectrum supplying the free Cloud DVR for the DVR side of it. The CableCARDs themselves do not get returned as Spectrum doesn’t want them back, but the Spectrum receivers with embedded CableCARDs in them will be swapped for the newer units which don’t use them if we choose to go that route. If we do end up going that route, our technician friend is going to arrange to have the work order assigned to him so I won’t have to bother with doing a self-install on my own followed by having to call in to activate the new equipment then either having to take the affected receivers back down to the local office to turn them back in or ship them back to Spectrum.

He also suggested, that for our area, action should be taken by Monday 08/11/2022, but he said that there would likely still be a few extra days built in beyond that to make sure all affected customers can either get the needed equipment to self-install or get a technician scheduled to come do it for no charge.

I don’t like this whole issue anymore than anyone else does, but with the FCC no longer requiring MVPD’s to support CableCARDs, which has actually been the case for a while now, I’d expect more providers to likely follow suit on ditching the technology because they don’t even seem to be on board with the idea of using the newer Tru2Way technology which is CableLab’s successor to CableCARDs and would have allowed support of non-cable provider devices, such as TiVo, to continue. TiVo and other TV and device manufacturers could then have built the Tru2Way technology into their devices and it would be problem solved, but as it stands, that is not happening, and although TiVo talked about possibly manufacturing Tru2Way TiVo devices in the past, it has never come to fruition because the cable companies are not wanting to support devices which aren’t theirs as that takes away from the revenue stream their units generate.

·
Registered
12,924 Posts
I was initially communicated by letter about the change around 12 or better weeks ago, but I had been ignoring all of the emails and letters I had gotten since then because I didn’t initially believe they would be all out doing that as was stated in the letters and emails since it was quite the radical move to be making in leaving customers with devices which use CableCARDs unable to continue using them with Spectrum TV service.

Then came a call yesterday to which I confirmed with a very much trusted source whom him and I have known each other as very good friends on a personal level for many years. If I question something Spectrum says and truly want to know the real deal as to whether or not such matter carries any merit, he is literally the next best thing to seeing an actual official company memo on such matter in question. On such a radical issue like that, I will always seek his knowledge before making a determination of whether or not the issue warrants my attention to it because I know he will tell me honestly either way it goes and regardless of whether the outcome would be in my favor or in Spectrum’s favor.

The letters and emails did communicate steps to follow, but I didn’t include those because that didn’t seem to be in the meat of the discussion, before I first responded to it, other than that some of the responses indicated they also got letters about the change while others indicated they have not as of yet. Those who have not gotten letters appear to not have a projected timeframe on the hit list yet while those who have gotten letters are getting them multiple months prior to when action needs to be taken along with subsequent communications about every couple of weeks after that if they don’t respond.

The steps mentioned were either that we would be supplied with a free DVR receiver for each affected device, or if we didn’t want Spectrum’s units, we could instead use an Apple TV+, which is not related to Spectrum in any way, as Apple TV+ supports HD and SD viewing all of the channels (also including the local channels) via the free streaming app available in the Apple TV+ App Store along with Spectrum supplying free Cloud DVR on their end to retain the DVR ability being lost as a result of no more TiVo. The letter did not specifically mention, but if the customer has a Roku 3 or later device which still has the Spectrum TV app installed, like how mine is, that can also be used instead as it will also allow HD and SD viewing of all the of channels (also including the local channels) along with Spectrum supplying the free Cloud DVR for the DVR side of it. The CableCARDs themselves do not get returned as Spectrum doesn’t want them back, but the Spectrum receivers with embedded CableCARDs in them will be swapped for the newer units which don’t use them if we choose to go that route. If we do end up going that route, our technician friend is going to arrange to have the work order assigned to him so I won’t have to bother with doing a self-install on my own followed by having to call in to activate the new equipment then either having to take the affected receivers back down to the local office to turn them back in or ship them back to Spectrum.

He also suggested, that for our area, action should be taken by Monday 08/11/2022, but he said that there would likely still be a few extra days built in beyond that to make sure all affected customers can either get the needed equipment to self-install or get a technician scheduled to come do it for no charge.

I don’t like this whole issue anymore than anyone else does, but with the FCC no longer requiring MVPD’s to support CableCARDs, which has actually been the case for a while now, I’d expect more providers to likely follow suit on ditching the technology because they don’t even seem to be on board with the idea of using the newer Tru2Way technology which is CableLab’s successor to CableCARDs and would have allowed support of non-cable provider devices, such as TiVo, to continue. TiVo and other TV and device manufacturers could then have built the Tru2Way technology into their devices and it would be problem solved, but as it stands, that is not happening, and although TiVo talked about possibly manufacturing Tru2Way TiVo devices in the past, it has never come to fruition because the cable companies are not wanting to support devices which aren’t theirs as that takes away from the revenue stream their units generate.
But what you said was, “The letters and emails weren’t what gave specific dates and details.”

I suspect they were the MARKETING EMAILS that many, many, many people have already reported and discussed and do NOT indicate service is stopping.

Its only when you spoke in person with people not really authorized to give you notice of material changes in your service were you told the sky is falling.

Until you have hardcopy written verification of such a severe service change including dates and details, I am not convinced.

·
Registered
55 Posts
But what you said was, “The letters and emails weren’t what gave specific dates and details.”

I suspect they were the MARKETING EMAILS that many, many, many people have already reported and discussed and do NOT indicate service is stopping.

Its only when you spoke in person with people not really authorized to give you notice of material changes in your service were you told the sky is falling.

Until you have hardcopy written verification of such a severe service change including dates and details, I am not convinced.
I get you on that.

As far as previous changes that actually occurred, none of the letters or emails on those contained any specifics either, but they still occurred as stated. They were just like the ones I have been receiving on the CableCARD issue and have the exact same vagueness as in previous issues except that these ones for this CableCARD issue point at the CableCARD support department in which the number given helps you provision and troubleshoot CableCARDs specifically.

I’ve always had to call whenever I’ve received a notification that something is happening in the area because they can’t seem to spell out details, in their letters and emails, to the point where it isn’t necessary to have to call with a list of questions. They always have that same vagueness and obscurity. I’m just fortunate to have worked in the industry for enough years to develop a good understanding of how many of these things work where I can spot telltale signs of an attempt at a clever coverup and how things can evolve into going in different directions that really frustrate customers when the company decides to make changes that can be very much detrimental to those affected, and I am also very fortune to have someone I know well enough for him and I to be on the same level of understanding both personally speaking and technically speaking because we both have the same level of knowledge and background.

Just as he reiterated to me, though, the information given only speaks for our area, in particular, which is in the Central Kentucky area of the Southern and Southwestern Ohio region of Spectrum’s footprint. It does not, however, speak for, and should not be construed as representing, any other areas or regions of the country, at this point, as to where those areas or regions currently are in that whole process because different ones may be somewhat farther off than other ones are before Spectrum actually gets around to them.

·
Registered
12,924 Posts
Here’s the communication going out in central KY. It’s the same one that we’ve already debunked.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts