TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has Spectrum 400 internet and I setup her Tivo and mini about 8 years ago using MOCA and put a filter at the entry point in the cable box outside. Last week her internet was down and I stopped by and checked the Modem and router and doing speed test I would get about 4mb only. I checked all cables and went outside and saw the filter so I removed it and internet was back to 400mb. Today I passed by to install a new MOCA filter that I had and the internet went back to 4mb. I removed it and back to 400mb. Do you think Spectrum made a change that the filter can cause a problem.

·
TDL shepherd
17,846 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
You may want to order a 70 dB MoCA filter; 2 if you don’t yet have one installed at the cable signal point-of-entry. (Depending on modem, the modem may exhibit instability when MoCA signals are present, remedied by installing a MoCA filter directly on the modem, as a prophylactic. See: DOCSIS encroachment on MoCA frequency range)
Question, Sometimes my cable internet service will go down but on comcast's side, it appears to be operating properly. I do have a splitter that sends 1 cable to my tivo and the other to my modem (no filters). The only way I am able to get my modem back online is to disconnect my tivo and restart my modem. Once it is back online, i can hook the tivo back up and its fine. Do you think MoCA could be the issue?

·
TDL shepherd
17,846 Posts
Question, Sometimes my cable internet service will go down but on comcast's side, it appears to be operating properly. I do have a splitter that sends 1 cable to my tivo and the other to my modem (no filters). The only way I am able to get my modem back online is to disconnect my tivo and restart my modem. Once it is back online, i can hook the tivo back up and its fine. Do you think MoCA could be the issue?
What’s the modem model #?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve seen some threads in recent days of this modem (a DOCSIS 3.1 model) having stability issues with MoCA signals present. So, yes, you might try a 70 dB MoCA filter installed directly on its coax port. (But review the above “encroachment” link.)
Is there a modem you recommend? Also, do I need a filter on both of my Tivo's?

·
Registered
13 Posts
That modem is fine. Did you read the “DOCSIS encroachment” link?
Yes, but now im confused. I just did some research and both of you are right except that everything im reading says to put the filter on the main cable to my house. not on the tivo itself. If that is where the filter goes, im not sure it will help the issue im having.

·
TDL shepherd
17,846 Posts
Also, do I need a filter on both Tivo's?
What mdavej said on this point. A MoCA filter BLOCKS signals at MoCA frequencies, which is why they’re used at the signal point-of-entry to keep your MoCA signals secure inside the home, and directly on MoCA-sensitive devices such as DOCSIS 3.1 modems and tuning adapters, as a prophylactic, to keep the MoCA signals from hitting those devices’ circuitry.

Your TiVo devices are using MoCA, so you most definitely wouldn’t want to block MoCA signals at their coax ports.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What mdavej said on this point. A MoCA filter BLOCKS signals at MoCA frequencies, which is why they’re used at the signal point-of-entry to keep your MoCA signals secure inside the home, and directly on MoCA-sensitive devices such as DOCSIS 3.1 modems and tuning adapters, as a prophylactic, to keep the MoCA signals from hitting those devices’ circuitry.
So if that is the issue, shouldn't the filter go on the cable that connects to the modem and a second 1 on the main line to the house?

·
TDL shepherd
17,846 Posts
A “PoE” MoCA filter is required; that is, a MoCA filter at the signal point-of-entry. Adding a MoCA filter to protect the MoCA-sensitive modem doesn’t change that requirement.

which is why they’re used at the signal point-of-entry to keep your MoCA signals secure inside the home, and directly on MoCA-sensitive devices
“and”

So if that is the issue, shouldn't the filter go on the cable that connects to the modem and a second 1 on the main line to the house?
Yes.

Literally what was posted and quoted by you earlier:
You may want to order a 70 dB MoCA filter; 2 if you don’t yet have one installed at the cable signal point-of-entry. (Depending on modem, the modem may exhibit instability when MoCA signals are present, remedied by installing a MoCA filter directly on the modem, as a prophylactic. See: DOCSIS encroachment on MoCA frequency range)

·
Registered
13 Posts
No he wasn’t. krkaufman said you should try a 70 dB MoCA filter directly on the SB8200 modem, and to review the “DOCSIS encroachment” link for further explanation; he doesn’t have any clue why that was extrapolated to putting MoCA filters on TiVo devices.
when I said opposite, i just meant how you said to put it on the tivo and he said the modem.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts