TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 261 Posts

·
HD Tech
1,069 Posts
I think MLB or the broadcast rights holders are on the verge of offering team streaming subscriptions with no geographic blackouts, but I've been thinking of going to radio and internet updates once my Spectrum new customer discount expires anyway. I attend about 20 games/year in person so why do I need to pay for the broadcast rights on those?
Spectrum in Los Angeles has an exclusive on Dodger home games, and adds $8/mo to every single bill for it. It's not optional - you have to pay it even if you never watch it (like me). So another $100/year for something I don't need or use.

The financial model cannot continue to exist indefinitely with streaming being as good as it is.

They do keep raising their Internet fees as well. I'm now at $79/mo for 200/10 service that started at $49/mo. They have a semi-monopoly there, although some of the new 5G 'boxes' might offer some competition. I'll note that Verizon's offering in my area is $69/mo for 100/10 service, so not exactly competition.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That link unfortunately didn't work for me. They wanted my address, then told me that address already had service, then sent me to a page listing what channels I was getting, and that was that.
I don't currently have Spectrum so that must be why it worked for me. May work for a close-by address if you know a place that doesn't have Spectrum. I did try it for my ex's address and got exactly what you got. Somewhere I have the channel list printed out. The new display makes it impossible to print or capture anything (at least for my skills)

·
HD Tech
1,069 Posts
I don't currently have Spectrum so that must be why it worked for me. May work for a close-by address if you know a place that doesn't have Spectrum. I did try it for my ex's address and got exactly what you got. Somewhere I have the channel list printed out. The new display makes it impossible to print or capture anything (at least for my skills)
OK, figured it out.

You can enter your current address, but to see various available channel packages, you have to click on "I'm a new customer at this address".

You can then select the package from a drop down menu. It's called Spectrum TV Choice.

It's a cable package, right, not a streaming package? So without a cable card enabled TiVo or one of their set top boxes, you would have to use the Spectrum App to stream the content?

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
OK, figured it out.

You can enter your current address, but to see various available channel packages, you have to click on "I'm a new customer at this address".

You can then select the package from a drop down menu. It's called Spectrum TV Choice.

It's a cable package, right, not a streaming package? So without a cable card enabled TiVo or one of their set top boxes, you would have to use the Spectrum App to stream the content?
Correct. I've used it both ways back when I had it previously.

·
Clave Man
79 Posts
I think MLB or the broadcast rights holders are on the verge of offering team streaming subscriptions with no geographic blackouts, but I've been thinking of going to radio and internet updates once my Spectrum new customer discount expires anyway. I attend about 20 games/year in person so why do I need to pay for the broadcast rights on those?
I have been shopping around for a streaming service with local channels. I live in St. Louis. I want to switch to a streaming service with local channels.

Far as I can tell there are 3 "serious" alternatives for full "cable comparable" service: DirecTV Stream, Hulu, and YouTubeTV.

My family said "We want the St Louis Cardinals games!". Spectrum carries all home and away Cardinal MLB games on "Bally Sports Midwest" network (the old Fox Sports Midwest acquired recently -- Cardinals own 30%)

Guess who has EXCLUSIVE rights to Bally Sports? DirecTV Stream. They are no TiVo.

We get MLB.TV (like NFL Sunday Ticket) but no Cardinals games (black out rules).

I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The impression of the person that I spoke to was that this email was to encourage people to move off cable cards, and they were not necessarily discontinued. But he advised to call back in a few days as they learn more.
I just got the spectrum email as well about the cable card. It isn't clear what they are going to do or when.
This is about Charter's announced plans to move to high-split for higher HSI speeds, and the need to terminate CableCARD support to do it[*]. Actual schedules for those HSI upgrades will very substantially between locations (perhaps many years for some), but as some predicted would happen this is the initial carrot. The more people who volunteer for the offers on their own schedule the fewer people Charter will need to use the stick on later as they actually schedule a location for high split rollouts (which will almost certainly include more email, announcements on bills, and snail mail announcing "drop dead" dates). Note that those drop dead dates will likely also require some customers to replace their STB with a more current model. And, as others have said, there will still the those that are "surprised" that their TiVo stops working (it is a classic horse and water problem), but given that more people are clamoring for higher speed HSI[**] then CableCARD support, this step was sort of inevitable and expected.

Until the drop dead dates are announced for a location most expect TiVo's to continue to work and be supported as good as they do now (yes, that is not saying much for some locations).

[*] There are a whole set of very expensive alternatives that were proposed over the years that could keep CableCARD support limping along across the entire Charter footprint (the cheapest would have worked only in limited areas), but given the very small numbers of CableCARD users Charter is not willing to even consider spending those many many millions, especially now that they have no legal requirement to consider doing so.

[**] And at least a few proposals currently being reviewed at the FCC define new HSI tier minimums that would require higher speeds to continue to be considered meeting one's requirements to being a HSI provider and obtaining federal funding for expansion.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I do wonder about this in general. If these early locations end up representing a critical mass of CableCard users, would Spectrum then just cut everyone off at once as any support effort begins to outweigh any benefit to them.

(Random musings as I listen to a customer not understanding why they won't receive finalized engineering deliverables at contract signing.)

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I have been shopping around for a streaming service with local channels. I live in St. Louis. I want to switch to a streaming service with local channels.

Far as I can tell there are 3 "serious" alternatives for full "cable comparable" service: DirecTV Stream, Hulu, and YouTubeTV.

My family said "We want the St Louis Cardinals games!". Spectrum carries all home and away Cardinal MLB games on "Bally Sports Midwest" network (the old Fox Sports Midwest acquired recently -- Cardinals own 30%)

Guess who has EXCLUSIVE rights to Bally Sports? DirecTV Stream. They are no TiVo.

We get MLB.TV (like NFL Sunday Ticket) but no Cardinals games (black out rules).

I don't know what to do.
Spectrum has Bally Sports Midwest. You have no access to Spectrum? If you're not already a customer tell them you'll sign up on the condition you can get the new customer discount AND a cablecard. St. Louis is (or was) Charter Spectrum corporate HQ so if it's possible to still get a cablecard anywhere it should be there. If you can get a cablecard at least you can use a TiVo until they shut off cablecards. Alternatively, you can stream on the Spectrum app so either way getting the new customer discount should be a better deal than DirectTV stream.

Me, if I can't use a TiVo w/cablecard will have no incentive to keep Spectrum cable. Condensed game summaries are free on the MLB app. I already also use an OTA TiVo. A lot of broadcast and cable series are available to stream on Hulu (almost free w/ads), as well as Paramount+ and Peacock.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I do wonder about this in general. If these early locations end up representing a critical mass of CableCard users, would Spectrum then just cut everyone off at once as any support effort begins to outweigh any benefit to them.
It is an interesting wonder. I would certainly expect that at some point Charter will make the call (and drop everyone), because the remainders are so small, but will they front load all the CableCARD cancellation work long before they are ready for high-split in most locations? We will know a lot more when Charter starts sending out hard drop dead date emails across their footprint (if the masters of this board feel a great disturbance in the force as all Charter TiVo-ites suddenly cry out and are then silenced at once, we will have our answer).

·
Registered
10 Posts
If Spectrum drops cable cards, our household will drop Spectrum and TiVos and go to streaming plus Channels DVR. It is not worth paying all of these cable boxes with little DVR flexibility.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is about Charter's announced plans to move to high-split for higher HSI speeds, and the need to terminate CableCARD support to do it[*]. Actual schedules for those HSI upgrades will very substantially between locations (perhaps many years for some), but as some predicted would happen this is the initial carrot. The more people who volunteer for the offers on their own schedule the fewer people Charter will need to use the stick on later as they actually schedule a location for high split rollouts (which will almost certainly include more email, announcements on bills, and snail mail announcing "drop dead" dates). Note that those drop dead dates will likely also require some customers to replace their STB with a more current model. And, as others have said, there will still the those that are "surprised" that their TiVo stops working (it is a classic horse and water problem), but given that more people are clamoring for higher speed HSI[**] then CableCARD support, this step was sort of inevitable and expected.

Until the drop dead dates are announced for a location most expect TiVo's to continue to work and be supported as good as they do now (yes, that is not saying much for some locations).

[*] There are a whole set of very expensive alternatives that were proposed over the years that could keep CableCARD support limping along across the entire Charter footprint (the cheapest would have worked only in limited areas), but given the very small numbers of CableCARD users Charter is not willing to even consider spending those many many millions, especially now that they have no legal requirement to consider doing so.

[**] And at least a few proposals currently being reviewed at the FCC define new HSI tier minimums that would require higher speeds to continue to be considered meeting one's requirements to being a HSI provider and obtaining federal funding for expansion.
Thank you for this information. It is very helpful.

As a follow up, a Charter telemarketer just called me with the offers in the email. In asking, they said that there would be a discontinuing of service at some point - but did not say when.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As we know, there is no FCC rule anymore that Charter has to support CableCARD. They can give any explanation/excuse they want why they are pulling the plug. I recently moved from a small town that Charter is the provider and right before the move, I received a letter from them that they are discontinuing CableCARD support. I moved to another small town where Comcast is the provider and no issues with CableCARD here. Thank goodness I am done with balky Motorola tuning adapters.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Interest replies, answered most of my questions before I had to ask. I have a Premier Series 4 w/ lifetime subscription so I am not looking forward to losing this. I have kept this box because it has OTA capability. Spectrum is the only cable provider in my area. I did get the email and a hard copy letter also. I have been thinking about going to OTA only because my basic cable cost has risen to $120/mo which I think is outrageous. My household watches about 3 hrs/day which is mostly news. But we record a lot of cable-only programs for viewing at other times.

Is OTA my only option for using Tivo if they do drop the cablecard? Will I still be able to use Season Pass on OTA? Guess I better start looking for a way to set up an antenna.

For those attracted to the Apple TV offer, be aware that all the good stuff on an ATV is on their subscription TV+ service. I use my ATV primarily to stream other services (Netflix and others) but when I want to watch a weekend news program like Face the Nation or Meet the Press the stream is broken into segments and those segments are in reverse order, so when a particular segment ends the ATV jumps to the next earlier segment. This is very annoying to me. If I was willing to watch from end to beginning then it works, it's just that the presentation is 'backwards'. I have never used the Spectrum app on my ATV so can't say if it is useful or not.

·
Clave Man
79 Posts
Spectrum has Bally Sports Midwest. You have no access to Spectrum?
Thanks. Yes I currently have Spectrum and Bally Sports MidWest. I have had two TiVo's operating for many years.

My problem is cost.
My Spectrum "bundle" (landline $10, lowend Internet 300MB, and TV Silver package) adds up to $206 including a 12 month $30 for my "Silver tier" upgrade. Add $30 a month for TiV0 service on two boxes and you are way too far north.

I have been shopping for a new option. I could keep Spectrum internet and use a stream service. If the Spectrum Stream service consists of that awful Spectrum App I see on AppleTV then time to switch.

Switch to what? Local channels and Bally Sports Midwest leaves me with .. DirecTV satellite, Dish Network, and DirecTV Stream. If there are other options I would love to hear it.

·
Clave Man
79 Posts
I am just going to add for the lucky St. Louis customers. Pure speculation.. but this has been generally true in the past.
Charter Cable (now Spectrum) was founded in St. Louis. Traditionally St Louis gets things first as a kind of beta test.

St. Louis go the first (or one of the first few) high bandwidth services at no upcharge.
Makes sense to me that we will be "lucky" and get to beta test the "confiscation" of cable cards.
Managers ar Charter stores in the St Louis Metro may get training and then teach others.
Training: "Throw cablecard in trash bin. Offer mobile service."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Spectrum has Bally Sports Midwest. You have no access to Spectrum? If you're not already a customer tell them you'll sign up on the condition you can get the new customer discount AND a cablecard. St. Louis is (or was) Charter Spectrum corporate HQ so if it's possible to still get a cablecard anywhere it should be there. If you can get a cablecard at least you can use a TiVo until they shut off cablecards. Alternatively, you can stream on the Spectrum app so either way getting the new customer discount should be a better deal than DirectTV stream.

Me, if I can't use a TiVo w/cablecard will have no incentive to keep Spectrum cable. Condensed game summaries are free on the MLB app. I already also use an OTA TiVo. A lot of broadcast and cable series are available to stream on Hulu (almost free w/ads), as well as Paramount+ and Peacock.
I’m from St. Louis and after 3 years of trying to lower my rate, Charter finally “let” me switch to save some money. They bumped my internet speed from 100 to 400 for free (3 years) and lowered my TV package with cable cards. It’s funny because the last time I called they wouldn’t change my package because they said, “They weren’t offering those packages or cable cards any longer. They were offering streaming-only.” I said I had 2 Tivos and wouldn’t be able to record anything and they offered cloud DVRs. I told them that’s what the Tivos are for!

It was unusual that they specified “3 years” for the free internet upgrade. I thought they might have been monitoring my internet traffic or VOIP calls since I had researched moving to YouTube, Hulu and AT&T. It’s strange how “grandfathered” was used to lock me in to pricing without a way to lower pricing without losing channels BUT Charter continually added/deleted channels and raised pricing all along.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I’m from St. Louis and after 3 years of trying to lower my rate, Charter finally “let” me switch to save some money. They bumped my internet speed from 100 to 400 for free (3 years) and lowered my TV package with cable cards. It’s funny because the last time I called they wouldn’t change my package because they said, “They weren’t offering those packages or cable cards any longer. They were offering streaming-only.” I said I had 2 Tivos and wouldn’t be able to record anything and they offered cloud DVRs. I told them that’s what the Tivos are for!

It was unusual that they specified “3 years” for the free internet upgrade. I thought they might have been monitoring my internet traffic or VOIP calls since I had researched moving to YouTube, Hulu and AT&T. It’s strange how “grandfathered” was used to lock me in to pricing without a way to lower pricing without losing channels BUT Charter continually added/deleted channels and raised pricing all along.
I just got the similar 3 years treatment here in NW PA (NE Ohio Spectrum division). I was expecting to have to fully move to YTTV when my promo expired in May. Instead, for $8 over then current, I got 400 meg upgrade for 3 years and continued the same cable package.

My current bill is $131 and change for TV Select, 400 megs, and 2 cable cards. The WAF with YouTube TV is not great, so was worth staying with Spectrum for another year. As with others, I'll convert TiVo to OTA when the cable cards go away.

41 - 60 of 261 Posts