TiVo Community Forum banner
221 - 240 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Middle of the month, no "Call To Action" email or postal mailing from Spectrum, just another postal mailing and email like before. Discount deal on the Apple TV and the free cable box / cloud DVR is now out to 09/04/22 for me. Up to 9 emails and 5 postal mailings to date.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am in St. Louis. I had a Spectrum technician out today to deal with some internet service issues. To my very pleasant surprise, he was familiar with TiVo and moca and cable cards, so we got into a discussion about what was coming down the pike. He told me that the new high-speed internet service was going to be implemented in Perryville, MO starting in 2 weeks. (For those of you who are unfamiliar, Perryville is in rural southeast MO.) As someone else mentioned, all of the old cable boxes as well as the cable cards will be obsolete. I asked him when he thought it might hit St. Louis, and he said that he doesn't know but what they were told is that Spectrum is bringing in huge contracting companies to work on upgrading the large service areas after Spectrum has done a roll out in the smaller communities. He anticipated it would be end of September for the St. Louis area but couldn't confirm that.

I have not received an email or letter from Spectrum in a week or so, so it will be interesting to see if I get any more.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am in St. Louis. I had a Spectrum technician out today to deal with some internet service issues. To my very pleasant surprise, he was familiar with TiVo and moca and cable cards, so we got into a discussion about what was coming down the pike. He told me that the new high-speed internet service was going to be implemented in Perryville, MO starting in 2 weeks. (For those of you who are unfamiliar, Perryville is in rural southeast MO.) As someone else mentioned, all of the old cable boxes as well as the cable cards will be obsolete. I asked him when he thought it might hit St. Louis, and he said that he doesn't know but what they were told is that Spectrum is bringing in huge contracting companies to work on upgrading the large service areas after Spectrum has done a roll out in the smaller communities. He anticipated it would be end of September for the St. Louis area but couldn't confirm that.

I have not received an email or letter from Spectrum in a week or so, so it will be interesting to see if I get any more.
From what I've been told, as mentioned earlier, you're supposed to get an email and/or mailing that says "Call To Action" on it, which is supposed to be the advance notice for the change coming up the pipeline. If that happens or not, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

I'd be very curious to see what happens with the change for you, if any, when this two week timeframe comes and goes for the change in Internet service.

·
Registered
39 Posts
From what I've been told, as mentioned earlier, you're supposed to get an email and/or mailing that says "Call To Action" on it, which is supposed to be the advance notice for the change coming up the pipeline. If that happens or not, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

I'd be very curious to see what happens with the change for you, if any, when this two week timeframe comes and goes for the change in Internet service.
I wouldn't expect any changes to my service when they upgrade in Perryville. That is on a different system than me. But, I will certainly post something here if I find out anything else. I'm just waiting for Bally's Sports to roll out their streaming service, and then I will probably ditch cable all together. I'm going to enjoy my TiVo until then, however. 😉

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
It's refreshing they finally ended the non-stop onslaught of high-pressure marketing BS. My first year new customer discount rates are being raised to full list price the second week of September so their new strategy to get my cablecard off their system is to flush me out with a $65/month (50%) bill increase. That will definitely work out for them long-term. :ROFLMAO:

Bally Sports gave a September 26th date for their rollout.

·
HD Tech
1,069 Posts
It's refreshing they finally ended the non-stop onslaught of high-pressure marketing BS. My first year new customer discount rates are being raised to full list price the second week of September so their new strategy to get my cablecard off their system is to flush me out with a $65/month (50%) bill increase. That will definitely work out for them long-term. :ROFLMAO:
It's a remarkably clever business model...as you shed customers, just raise the rates on those who remain to keep revenue constant. Wall Street loves constant revenue.

Last subscriber left gets to pay $385,430.15 a month.

It also explains the thinking behind AT&T's unparalleled success at keeping their landline business going.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
It's a remarkably clever business model...as you shed customers, just raise the rates on those who remain to keep revenue constant. Wall Street loves constant revenue.
Yes, but recent quarterly earnings reports from the likes of Disney, Comcast, Paramount, and WBD indicate that total revenue for cable and broadcast networks has peaked and is now in secular decline. Ever-increasing carriage rates more than offset losses in cable TV subscribers for the first decade of subscriber declines, from 2012 to 2022. But obviously, that trend could only go so far until the rate increases became counter-productive by shooing away even more subscribers than the higher rates could make up for. It appears we've reached that moment.

·
Registered
294 Posts
At the end of August, no "Call To Action" emails or postal mailings, nor any more of the previous ones we've all seen in the past couple of weeks.

Removed Spectrum Internet and in the same call with Retention to remove the $5 Sports Pack I didn't ask for, the retention rep completely screwed my plan in what should have been a single line-item deletion. Needed a follow-up call with retention to fix it once the tech support rep found what happened and it wasn't a CableCard issue like it first appeared with an incorrect channel map.

Retention rep #2 fixed it to my satisfaction well enough, so time to sit back and wait to see what happens, as the promo they put on the account to get the cost back down to my grandfathered pricing from before is good for a year. All I have left with Charter is TV, no more land line equivalent or Internet.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Emails and postal mailing starting up again for me, two emails, one on 09/19/22 (which had a date of 07/07/22 for the promo on the free cable box for 24 months or 50% off an Apple TV 4K) and 09/23/22 (with a date of 09/26/22 for the promo), as well as one postal mailing that showed up on 09/22/22 (date of 10/19/22 for the promo).

Still no "Call To Action" emails or postal mailings, CableCards keep working, so it looks like going into October before they do anything yet to neuter them.

·
HD Tech
1,069 Posts
Yes, but recent quarterly earnings reports from the likes of Disney, Comcast, Paramount, and WBD indicate that total revenue for cable and broadcast networks has peaked and is now in secular decline. Ever-increasing carriage rates more than offset losses in cable TV subscribers for the first decade of subscriber declines, from 2012 to 2022. But obviously, that trend could only go so far until the rate increases became counter-productive by shooing away even more subscribers than the higher rates could make up for. It appears we've reached that moment.

Zaslav, the new head of the stupid HBO/WB/Discovery merger horror is a guy used to making money by peddling low rent reality garbage to the rubes on Discovery and other outlets.

He has already removed a lot of older content from HBO, and greenlit trashy reality projects for it that are more R rated than Discovery could tolerate. That's the future of HBO with this guy at the helm.

Kinda sad, really. Although I can't wait for "I grew to 600 lbs. eating Sharknado debris and now my sister wants to divorce me."

·
Registered
39 Posts
Emails and postal mailing starting up again for me, two emails, one on 09/19/22 (which had a date of 07/07/22 for the promo on the free cable box for 24 months or 50% off an Apple TV 4K) and 09/23/22 (with a date of 09/26/22 for the promo), as well as one postal mailing that showed up on 09/22/22 (date of 10/19/22 for the promo).

Still no "Call To Action" emails or postal mailings, CableCards keep working, so it looks like going into October before they do anything yet to neuter them.
Same here. I am in St Louis. You?

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Zaslav, the new head of the stupid HBO/WB/Discovery merger horror is a guy used to making money by peddling low rent reality garbage to the rubes on Discovery and other outlets.

He has already removed a lot of older content from HBO, and greenlit trashy reality projects for it that are more R rated than Discovery could tolerate. That's the future of HBO with this guy at the helm.

Kinda sad, really. Although I can't wait for "I grew to 600 lbs. eating Sharknado debris and now my sister wants to divorce me."
LOL. Don't completely disagree with you! But the good news is that Zaslav has contracted Casey Bloys and his team in place heading up HBO for another five years and he's promised to increase the money that flows to that division for more hours of HBO and Max Originals. (Yes, some of the Max Originals are reality dreck but a lot of them are very good scripted shows.) I'm not too worried about HBO. I think Zaslav clearly understands that it's the crown jewel of Warner (along, of course, with the WB film library).

I do think that when HBO Max and discovery+ combine next year, the combined service is going to look somewhat different than HBO Max does now. I think it'll shed a lot of its licensed content and maybe drop the kids section completely. It's going to look like less of a "something for everyone" service trying to compete head-on with Netflix and something focused more on its two core brands, HBO and Discovery (which is probably why it leaked out that a name they're considering for the service is HBO Discovery).

Beyond that, the current chatter is that Zaslav is just positioning WBD for yet another merger come 2024 (the soonest it'll be able to start another round of M&A discussions). And the conventional wisdom -- which I agree with -- is that it'll be Comcast who acquires WBD to merge into their Universal unit and then spin off as a pure media/theme parks business that can globally compete against Disney. At that point, I suspect Zas and most of his crew (other than the HBO team) will be shown the door. It'll be Universal running the show then, just as Discovery folks are running the show now after taking over Warner from AT&T. Poor ol' Warner. They've really been through the wringer...

·
Registered
352 Posts
He anticipated it would be end of September for the St. Louis area but couldn't confirm that.
If one ignores the marketing hype (where wide roll-outs of high-split HSI with higher upload speeds will be seen real soon now), most expect only a few (smallish) locations by EoY 2022 (so Charter can say they started) to actually deploy and activate HSI high-split, and it taking (optimistically) 4 years to get mostly complete (when they will announce success, even as a number of people will still not be upgraded; sort of like the 200Mb/s HSI upgrade that Charter announced was "essentially" complete and then took 18+ months after that to get out to some locations). Clearing out the CableCARD and older STB users before they start extensive work in a location allows Charter much greater flexibility in schedules in the plant work itself, even if a lot of work is still to be done to actually activate high-split HSI, though, so that will typically happen quite some time before the HSI improvements.

Of course, at this point, it is likely that Charter is redirecting a lot of techs and equipment to the Florida area, which will certainly delay schedules elsewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If one ignores the marketing hype (where wide roll-outs of high-split HSI with higher upload speeds will be seen real soon now), most expect only a few (smallish) locations by EoY 2022 (so Charter can say they started) to actually deploy and activate HSI high-split, and it taking (optimistically) 4 years to get mostly complete (when they will announce success, even as a number of people will still not be upgraded; sort of like the 200Mb/s HSI upgrade that Charter announced was "essentially" complete and then took 18+ months after that to get out to some locations). Clearing out the CableCARD and older STB users before they start extensive work in a location allows Charter much greater flexibility in schedules in the plant work itself, even if a lot of work is still to be done to actually activate high-split HSI, though, so that will typically happen quite some time before the HSI improvements.

Of course, at this point, it is likely that Charter is redirecting a lot of techs and equipment to the Florida area, which will certainly delay schedules elsewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I am also in St Louis and have been receiving the Spectrum/Charter letters and emails about CableCards for the past couple of months. I just received a new letter by postal mail, stating that they will be adding new HD channels to my lineup "on or after Oct 6, 2022" which will be duplicates of existing SD channels.
The letter also states "NOTE: If you are using TiVo device series 1, 2, or 3, you will need to contact TiVo to upgrade to the newest series to avoid any disruption to your service".
So this seems like a new twist. No mention in this particular letter about dropping support for CableCards. I have a TiVo Premiere XL4, which is Series 4, so apparently I won't be affected by this change. But the possibly better news is that the letter seems to imply that perhaps CableCard support is no longer going away, at least for now?

221 - 240 of 261 Posts