TiVo Community Forum banner
181 - 200 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Here's the email I got yesterday. I'm in Central KY:
View attachment 73663

This is one of several I've received, plus USPS mailings as well. Also, phone calls from the Cable Card Support number.
They're definitely pummeling us with "dire" warnings.
What part of Central Kentucky? North central here. Bullitt Co specifically. I only have internet service, so wouldn't have gotten the notices regardless. Just wondering what area they are talking about with these upgrades.

·
Registered
82 Posts
But at least one report from KY (Spectrum cable) is also claiming that Spectrum leased cable boxes are to be replaced within the next month.

That would entail what? 10’s of thousands? 100’s of thousands? of boxes?

And not a single peep anywhere on the internet reporting this massive effort and inconvenience to all those customers?

Just some technician told her?

Yea, I don’t buy it. People are being misled by bad info.
Well, I for one got notified by mail about equipment swaps, and with no other action on my part I soon received new boxes on my doorstep.
There was one for every old Insight/TWC box I had.

Again, I chose to do nothing, and on April 23 the old boxes quit working. Including my Tivo with CC. That lit a fire under me and I immediately embarked on a frustrating journey of countless calls to CC tech support (Buffalo, NY based--they are actually pretty good), truck rolls, cable runs, pretty much everything imaginable. At the end, I still can't receive HD channels of any kind (on my Tivo), but I was tired of devoting so much time to d**king around with Spectrum. The guys who came out didn't know squat about Tivos--and admitted so.

The "new" equipment I received is still standard QAM boxes, so nothing revolutionary there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What part of Central Kentucky? North central here. Bullitt Co specifically. I only have internet service, so wouldn't have gotten the notices regardless. Just wondering what area they are talking about with these upgrades.
I'm in Fayette county--specifically Lexington.

Reactions: hapster85

·
Registered
55 Posts
For Central Kentucky, that would be areas covered by the Harrodsburg headend such as Mercer County, Anderson County, etc. There are multiple counties covered by that particular headend. There may be others also, but our particular system is the headend coming from Harrodsburg.

The equipment involved is CableCARDs and Spectrum receivers specifically the ones which contain CableCARDs embedded inside of them such as the Arris Motorola DCX3200-M and similar models. Not every Spectrum receiver has an embedded CableCARD. Older ones do, but newer ones do not. The replaced receivers will be the newer type which have no CableCARD device inside of them.

We just had our two receivers replaced in February 2022 when our Motorola DCH3200 boxes (big square gray boxes) were replaced with the current DCX3200-M boxes. We started getting letters around November 2021, just like the ones coming with the CableCARD issue, about it. I ignored every letter and email I got because, just like these, they were all very vague with no specifics, and I didn’t really feel like wanting to deal with it if I didn’t have to, but in February, 2 receivers unexpectedly showed up at our door from UPS. I didn’t ask for them nor did I call or respond to anything that would have prompted any kind of replacement order. Instead of calling, I went in person down to our local office, and I asked them what was going on. The person told me they started sending letters and emails a few months prior that I would need to get our two boxes replaced because those old DCH3200 boxes would no longer be compatible with their system and upgrades coming and would stop working. There was way more of those receiver units out there in customer hands than CableCARDs. The person also mentioned for me to be looking out for something coming around spring/summer that would specifically involve our CableCARD/Tuning Adapter combo.

On this CableCARD issue, I mentioned to my technician friend that I just had our two DCH3200 receivers replaced in February, and he advised me that some customers received units like the DCX3200-M which still used a CableCARD already embedded inside the actual unit. That means those will now have to replaced with the newer units which no longer have this along with our CableCARD/Tuning Adapter combo, and those boxes were actually Spectrum units where there are still far more of those than there are CableCARDs installed at customer premises. He said they were first getting all of the really old receiver units, of which there were several types out there, replaced before they moved on to CableCARDs and Tuning Adapters, but now that they are going ahead with CableCARDs, those customers which received replacement units like the DCX3200-M are going to have to replace them yet again.

I can’t imagine Spectrum going to this much trouble, even going so far as do to free professional installations on these, to replace their own units like that especially when there is no difference in price on the customer’s monthly bill and with having to pay a technician to do it when that technician could have possibly been doing a new customer install instead. I can see it with CableCARDs specifically, but not with their own receiver units since they gain absolutely nothing monetarily out of it along with having to pay a technician if the customer wants the free professional installation instead of self-installing it themselves. So to that, I would say if they are going to go to that much trouble for no monetary gain plus actually eating costs, I’d be watching out because so far, this whole CableCARD thing has textbook followed every other scenario which has come up in the past where it looked like it was just a bunch of hype for them to try to make some extra money but then actually came to pass.

·
Registered
334 Posts
But at least one report from KY (Spectrum cable) is also claiming that Spectrum leased cable boxes are to be replaced within the next month.

That would entail what? 10’s of thousands? 100’s of thousands? of boxes?
Only the oldest boxes need to get replaced. That is not a zero number, but smallish in most locations (anything designed after ~2005/6 (designed, not shipped) should be able to work without a swap). Of course, there are always a few people who hold on to the STB they got 15 years ago because it still works good enough, so such boxes are in the field, and will need to get swapped.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Here's the email I got yesterday. I'm in Central KY:
View attachment 73663

This is one of several I've received, plus USPS mailings as well. Also, phone calls from the Cable Card Support number.
They're definitely pummeling us with "dire" warnings.
That's the same info I received via email seven times (June 7, June 14, June 22, July 7, July 11, July 14, July 21) and postal mail three times (June 20, July 11, July 14 paperwork dates). The date for the offer of the discounted Apple TV (which is 32B 2021 4K model) or the receiver keeps shifting as times goes on, though the email received on July 11th had a July 7th expiration date on it, so someone didn't proofread that one once it went out.

The only date I had put to any of it was from my call on Thursday, where the rep on the phone said in August, though I "should be ready for it on August 1st". None of the correspondence have said anything about a date, though this rep said repeatedly that when the change is supposed to happen, I should be getting a notice via email and postal mail with the specific date. I call complete BS on that, since their TOS says that material service changes need at least 15 days notice before taking effect and their "dire warnings" communications and I'm sure their legal department will claim all the emails and postal mailings being done cover them from that perspective.

If I do get something with a "your CableCards will stop working on date 08/xx/22", I'll certainly post it in here for review. My guess is it'll show up in email first before postal mail, though I'm still 50//50 on the assumption I'll get any notice at all of the CableCard support disappearing.

Since they've said they don't want their CableCards back, I wonder if the same applies for the tuning adapters?

·
Registered
82 Posts
For Central Kentucky, that would be areas covered by the Harrodsburg headend such as Mercer County, Anderson County, etc. There are multiple counties covered by that particular headend. There may be others also, but our particular system is the headend coming from Harrodsburg.

The equipment involved is CableCARDs and Spectrum receivers specifically the ones which contain CableCARDs embedded inside of them such as the Arris Motorola DCX3200-M and similar models. Not every Spectrum receiver has an embedded CableCARD. Older ones do, but newer ones do not. The replaced receivers will be the newer type which have no CableCARD device inside of them.

We just had our two receivers replaced in February 2022 when our Motorola DCH3200 boxes (big square gray boxes) were replaced with the current DCX3200-M boxes. We started getting letters around November 2021, just like the ones coming with the CableCARD issue, about it. I ignored every letter and email I got because, just like these, they were all very vague with no specifics, and I didn’t really feel like wanting to deal with it if I didn’t have to, but in February, 2 receivers unexpectedly showed up at our door from UPS. I didn’t ask for them nor did I call or respond to anything that would have prompted any kind of replacement order. Instead of calling, I went in person down to our local office, and I asked them what was going on. The person told me they started sending letters and emails a few months prior that I would need to get our two boxes replaced because those old DCH3200 boxes would no longer be compatible with their system and upgrades coming and would stop working. There was way more of those receiver units out there in customer hands than CableCARDs. The person also mentioned for me to be looking out for something coming around spring/summer that would specifically involve our CableCARD/Tuning Adapter combo.

On this CableCARD issue, I mentioned to my technician friend that I just had our two DCH3200 receivers replaced in February, and he advised me that some customers received units like the DCX3200-M which still used a CableCARD already embedded inside the actual unit. That means those will now have to replaced with the newer units which no longer have this along with our CableCARD/Tuning Adapter combo, and those boxes were actually Spectrum units where there are still far more of those than there are CableCARDs installed at customer premises. He said they were first getting all of the really old receiver units, of which there were several types out there, replaced before they moved on to CableCARDs and Tuning Adapters, but now that they are going ahead with CableCARDs, those customers which received replacement units like the DCX3200-M are going to have to replace them yet again.

I can’t imagine Spectrum going to this much trouble, even going so far as do to free professional installations on these, to replace their own units like that especially when there is no difference in price on the customer’s monthly bill and with having to pay a technician to do it when that technician could have possibly been doing a new customer install instead. I can see it with CableCARDs specifically, but not with their own receiver units since they gain absolutely nothing monetarily out of it along with having to pay a technician if the customer wants the free professional installation instead of self-installing it themselves. So to that, I would say if they are going to go to that much trouble for no monetary gain plus actually eating costs, I’d be watching out because so far, this whole CableCARD thing has textbook followed every other scenario which has come up in the past where it looked like it was just a bunch of hype for them to try to make some extra money but then actually came to pass.
Thanks for this very helpful post! Indeed, they swapped my old boxes for DCX3200's with cable cards.

Reactions: suzannesstud

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's the same info I received via email seven times (June 7, June 14, June 22, July 7, July 11, July 14, July 21) and postal mail three times (June 20, July 11, July 14 paperwork dates). The date for the offer of the discounted Apple TV (which is 32B 2021 4K model) or the receiver keeps shifting as times goes on, though the email received on July 11th had a July 7th expiration date on it, so someone didn't proofread that one once it went out.

The only date I had put to any of it was from my call on Thursday, where the rep on the phone said in August, though I "should be ready for it on August 1st". None of the correspondence have said anything about a date, though this rep said repeatedly that when the change is supposed to happen, I should be getting a notice via email and postal mail with the specific date. I call complete BS on that, since their TOS says that material service changes need at least 15 days notice before taking effect and their "dire warnings" communications and I'm sure their legal department will claim all the emails and postal mailings being done cover them from that perspective.

If I do get something with a "your CableCards will stop working on date 08/xx/22", I'll certainly post it in here for review. My guess is it'll show up in email first before postal mail, though I'm still 50//50 on the assumption I'll get any notice at all of the CableCard support disappearing.

Since they've said they don't want their CableCards back, I wonder if the same applies for the tuning adapters?
All of the letters and emails I have received have an expiration of Monday 08/11/2022 on the equipment choices. Currently they have been coming for the last several months, and the closer it has gotten to August, the more frequently they have seem to come. Between last week and this week alone I have received 4 separate communications on it plus a phone call on Tuesday from them on it. Since the communications began, I’ve received at least 10 or so letters and emails, but I have lost count now so it may actually be more than that.

Everyone I have talked to from my technician friend to person at our local office to phone representatives in CableCARD support have all said the same thing. It will by August 31st, at the latest, but be prepared as if it might happen on August 1st.

In our case here, that would involve all three of our televisions because our living room has the TiVo with CableCARD/Tuning Adapter combo, and our two bedrooms have Arris Motorola DCX3200-M boxes which are among the ones that still contain the internal embedded CableCARDs. Spectrum popped a surprise replacement of our old Motorola DCH3200 boxes on us in February after sending those same kind of vague letters and emails which started in November 2021. The two boxes just showed up one day at our door from UPS, and I ended up self-installing them then calling to perform the swap then taking the DCH3200’s back to our local office to turn them in, but even though those new DCX3200-M’s were actual Spectrum units, they still were the kind with embedded CableCARDs so they will have to again be replaced with two units of the kind which don’t use embedded CableCARDs.

Nothing has been communicated about Tuning Adapters yet, but since nothing, so far, has said they don’t need to be returned, I’d assume those probably will need to be returned whereas the CableCARDs don’t, and those CableCARDs, I guess, could be kept as a piece of nostalgic history in technology.

If there is any good news here, it is that, if my televisions do go dark, I can still use the Spectrum TV app on my Roku 3 or cast it from my iPhone to my TV and still have all my channels, even the local channels, but I just won’t be able to record anything until the three new boxes are installled.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for this very helpful post! Indeed, they swapped my old boxes for DCX3200's with cable cards.
You are very welcome! I’m not sure what model of DVR unit they will replace our DCX3200’s and CableCARDs with, but I hope it will be one with at least 4 tuners. I believe there may be a model with 6 tuners, but I am not for sure on that. 4 tuners would work, but 6 would match my Edge.

·
Registered
293 Posts
All of the letters and emails I have received have an expiration of Monday 08/11/2022 on the equipment choices. Currently they have been coming for the last several months, and the closer it has gotten to August, the more frequently they have seem to come. Between last week and this week alone I have received 4 separate communications on it plus a phone call on Tuesday from them on it. Since the communications began, I’ve received at least 10 or so letters and emails, but I have lost count now so it may actually be more than that.

Everyone I have talked to from my technician friend to person at our local office to phone representatives in CableCARD support have all said the same thing. It will by August 31st, at the latest, but be prepared as if it might happen on August 1st.

In our case here, that would involve all three of our televisions because our living room has the TiVo with CableCARD/Tuning Adapter combo, and our two bedrooms have Arris Motorola DCX3200-M boxes which are among the ones that still contain the internal embedded CableCARDs. Spectrum popped a surprise replacement of our old Motorola DCH3200 boxes on us in February after sending those same kind of vague letters and emails which started in November 2021. The two boxes just showed up one day at our door from UPS, and I ended up self-installing them then calling to perform the swap then taking the DCH3200’s back to our local office to turn them in, but even though those new DCX3200-M’s were actual Spectrum units, they still were the kind with embedded CableCARDs so they will have to again be replaced with two units of the kind which don’t use embedded CableCARDs.

Nothing has been communicated about Tuning Adapters yet, but since nothing, so far, has said they don’t need to be returned, I’d assume those probably will need to be returned whereas the CableCARDs don’t, and those CableCARDs, I guess, could be kept as a piece of nostalgic history in technology.

If there is any good news here, it is that, if my televisions do go dark, I can still use the Spectrum TV app on my Roku 3 or cast it from my iPhone to my TV and still have all my channels, even the local channels, but I just won’t be able to record anything until the three new boxes are installled.
My latest email shows 08/21/22 for the date of the office for the discounted Apple TV or the free receiver, the latest postal mailed reminder shows 08/15/22 as the end of the discount window.

When I called their retention department to check the date for my bill cut, I asked about TAs being returned since they don't mention them at all in their correspondence and the rep said that they don't need to be returned.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My latest email shows 08/21/22 for the date of the office for the discounted Apple TV or the free receiver, the latest postal mailed reminder shows 08/15/22 as the end of the discount window.

When I called their retention department to check the date for my bill cut, I asked about TAs being returned since they don't mention them at all in their correspondence and the rep said that they don't need to be returned.
That’s cool. In that case I will keep both the CableCARD and TA as some pieces of nostalgic technology history.

Thank you for the information!

·
Registered
334 Posts
All recent STBs (DCX units would be considered recent in Motorola franchises) can continue to use linear QAM (even with a CableCARD doing the decryption) since they have (have always had) the capability to implement alternative two-way communications (unlike the the OOB signalling that the CableCARDs and TA's use in such locations).

I presume you previously had a DCT (or possibly DCH) STB. I recall that DCH units have the capabilities required (DCT's did not), but the DCH units are also frequency limited, so a DCX unit is probably more of a like-for-like replacement if worldboxes are not (yet) available/viable in your location (or in short supply).

·
Registered
82 Posts
All recent STBs (DCX units would be considered recent in Motorola franchises) can continue to use linear QAM (even with a CableCARD doing the decryption) since they have (have always had) the capability to implement alternative two-way communications (unlike the the OOB signalling that the CableCARDs and TA's use in such locations).

I presume you previously had a DCT (or possibly DCH) STB. I recall that DCH units have the capabilities required (DCT's did not), but the DCH units are also frequency limited, so a DCX unit is probably more of a like-for-like replacement if worldboxes are not (yet) available/viable in your location (or in short supply).
You are correct--my old boxes were DCT2000 and a bunch of the Technicolor DTAs. Stuff from last century...

·
wait.. I did what?
15,159 Posts
Which would imply that they're not sunsetting CableCARDs and CC embedded boxes in your area.

Reactions: cwoody222

·
Registered
55 Posts

My initial boxes were DCH3200’s which got replaced with DCX3200-M’s of which DCH boxes no longer exist on the system here as they have all been decommissioned. Those DCX boxes use a form of Tru2Way or basically CableCARD 2.0 (the supposed answer to the one-way M-Card that answered the S-Card) but without an actual physical CableCARD you insert and remove. This type has the technology made permanently on to the box’s board.

Our area went all digital a while back which did away with any and all QAM, and it caused all televisions with legitimate QAM technology to go dark unless a cable box was added. The DCX boxes our DCH boxes were replaced with were actually supposed to have been boxes which had no CableCARD technology of any kind to do with it, but some customers still ended up receiving DCX boxes anyway. That was acknowledged as a mistake on Spectrum’s part which is why Spectrum is having the replace all of them that got mistakenly shipped out or mistakenly given out at the local office.

Now, any and all technology that has anything to do with the use of CableCARDs in any way is being decommissioned which includes all forms of CableCARDs themselves and actual Spectrum issued receivers, such as the DCX3200-M and other similar models, which have the CableCARD technology permanently baked right on to the box’s board. My technician friend confirmed that the CableCARD 2.0 (form of Tru2Way) in those DCX and similar model boxes are the only reason they still function in some form as there is no other form of non-CableCARD stand-alone technology in those boxes.

Once our area undergoes the system upgrade, in August, which kills all of those CableCARDs and Spectrum issued boxes dependent upon the technology, the entire area will be completely CableCARDless and Tuning Adapterless.

It still remains to be determined if the replacement units will be Worldboxes or something else, but I just hope it will be one of the DVR models with at least 4 or 6 tuners.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Our area went all digital a while back which did away with any and all QAM, and it caused all televisions with legitimate QAM technology to go dark unless a cable box was added.
It was not removing linear QAM, it was enabling encryption (which, under FCC rules, required an all digital plant), which requires a CableCARD to decode which made TV's unable to decode any programming.
It still remains to be determined if the replacement units will be Worldboxes or something else, but I just hope it will be one of the DVR models with at least 4 or 6 tuners.
The DCX boxes are capable of continuing to be used even with the changes for HSI (i.e. high-split). Whether Charter may choose to replace them with Worldboxen will be up to them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It was not removing linear QAM, it was enabling encryption (which, under FCC rules, required an all digital plant), which requires a CableCARD to decode which made TV's unable to decode any programming.

The DCX boxes are capable of continuing to be used even with the changes for HSI (i.e. high-split). Whether Charter may choose to replace them with Worldboxen will be up to them.
Spectrum indicated other companies will likely still preserve the ability to use the DCX boxes, but they told me that when the upgrade occurs, DCX’s will be dead in the water on Spectrum’s system. They actually apologized for having sent them because those were never supposed to have been sent as replacements for the DCH boxes. I didn’t think, at the time, to ask which ones they should have sent instead of the DCX’s, but I wish I had thought to ask which ones would have been the correct ones to have sent because I could do with just having the TiVo TV with DVR and the other two without since we have never had DVR from Spectrum. Only TiVo, which is on the living room TV, with Spectrum boxes and no DVR on the other two.

From what I could tell by the installation instructions which came with the DCX boxes, everything referenced the old non-DVR boxes as being Spectrum 110 boxes and the old DVR boxes as being Spectrum 210 boxes, where the type of each box (110 vs. 210) sent would have been based on each box being replaced, but they ended up sending DCX3200-M’s instead with installation instructions for 110 and 210 units rather than DCX units. In my case it sounds like I should have received two 110 units unless they would have considered the DCH’s as DVR’s even though I never activated DVR on those DCH’s and would have sent two 210 units instead.

In any event, I’m about to see if this whole thing will end up being the calling of a bluff on their end or if I will end up dark on my end and have to Spectrum TV App stream it for a couple of days to get three new boxes installed. I had contemplated going ahead, but I have decided to test their waters on this. Worst comes to worst, everything goes dark, and I use the app to stream my channels for maybe a couple of days without being able to record anything then pick back up as soon as I can get new boxes working.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Reminds me of the late night commercials for things like the veg-o-matic: "So you don't forget, order by midnight tonight!"

I would not be surprised that one will get more notices and offers, especially when they actually actually start the transition (as the reality is that people neither read their email, bills, or USPS letters, so there will be people surprised with the loss of service only after it happens, and not before).

181 - 200 of 241 Posts