TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,469 Posts

Dear Spectrum Customer,​

You are currently paying a monthly fee for one or more CableCARDs. A CableCARD is a one-way card device - about the size of a credit card - that allows access to TV services.
As we continue to upgrade our networks and technology, CableCARDs will not be compatible with future service upgrades for some time. We have other options for you to consider that will enhance your TV viewing experience, including providing you DVR functionality and access to thousands of Video On Demand options.
Avoid the monthly fee of a CableCARD by taking advantage of one of the below:​
  • 50% off Apple TV*** (not available for pick-up in stores)
  • Free Spectrum Receiver for 24 months*

In addition, we are offering free Cloud DVR services for 24 months! ** With Spectrum's Cloud DVR service, you can record your favorite TV programs and watch them remotely from your devices.
To learn more about these offers or if you no longer require your CableCARD(s), call us at 866-532-2598 or stop by your local Spectrum Store. Visit Spectrum.com/stores for locations. We will remove any monthly CableCARD fee from your account. You do not need to return your CableCARD(s) to Spectrum.

Yup, I just got this email and I'm livid. I don't know what other choices are good or not good, but I need something other than just live tv. In addition, they didn't give an effective date for this. I have shows on both of my Tivos and don't know if they will just disappear or I can at least view them.

I feel like I need a lot of help with this. I do have a Spectrum store nearby. I don't get why they can't just continue with it.

·
Premium Member
16,469 Posts
Thanks for that info, Steven! :) I'm really just gobsmacked by this as, last I heard locally in my market, this was not even a thing.

Tomorrow I am going to be in the strip mall where a Spectrum store is, so I think I'll stop in after I get my shot at the Safeway store.

·
Premium Member
16,469 Posts
Thanks, Doug! I do have a Firestick and Roku. I'm making notes on what channels I need for what I record to see what all I'd have to subscribe to, to continue getting that content. It's probably cheaper to drop HBO and SHO and stream those. I mostly use HBO and have their streaming for free, since I currently subscribe to HBO.

I saw something online (maybe it was old info, at least I hope) that the Spectrum dvr only has one tuner. I cannot imagine that at this point, so I REALLY hope it's wrong if I take that route.

I really have to have tv as it's about the only thing that keeps me halfway sane with all I'm dealing with these days. I keep reruns of certain shows on hand for evening viewing. It's the only thing that gets me outside of my head, which is where I absolutely have to spend time each day. I pay them a lot of money each month and if there was a viable choice I would leave. Just for cable, landline, and internet, it's about $297 a month, having just gone up by over $20 recently. Thanks. Charge me more and take away some of the service.

·
Premium Member
16,469 Posts
I'm new to this whole thing as we're in the process of moving from the Chicago area (Comcast) to Reno, NV (Spectrum). Won't be in the Reno home until late this year. If I'm reading this topic correctly, we're going to be SOL on using our TiVo Roamio when we get to Reno.

Between now and then (we're already out of the old home and staying in an extended stay hotel until the new home is ready), I'm trying YouTube TV to see how well that works. First night worked well; last night not so well (hotel Internet seemed to be overloaded - a speed test showed download speed substantially below 1 Mbps). If nothing else, the next couple of months gives me a chance to see how well YouTube TV works as assuming I'm correct that our TiVo will not be usable at our new home (other than for what's already on it), I'd prefer to punish Spectrum for their CableCard decision and not give them any TV business (although they may be unavoidable for Internet). Plus I've read their DVR product is not all that great.
I'm in Reno and we started getting the emails and letters here a while back. I have two cable card/ta set ups and they still work fine. The best answer I've gotten was from somebody directly in that department and he told me that my equipment should continue to work fine, but they probably won't be issuing new hardware at some point, so if yours stop working you might be sol.

I hope like hell this doesn't change.

·
Premium Member
16,469 Posts
FWIW, I called Spectrum and talked to someone who after initially saying he’s never had a call about Cablecards before claims to have done some checking and that they are still available in Reno. We’ll see what happens when we actually move there later this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just wish they'd leave me alone with the emails and snail-mail letters! I probably get at least 3 emails a week and at least one letter in the mail. Same exact spiel. Leave me alone! It's just annoying. Every single one says the exact same, completely non-specific, stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts