TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks. Unfortunately, although I live in a major American city, I am in an RF-free bowl canyon where I have no off-air. Zero. I don't get TV, or FM radio, or cell service. I can get AM skip on summer nights where AM stations 1,500 miles away come in just fine, though.

It's kind of bizarre and limits my options, has made me a cableco slave for decades.
So, you are the perfect person for my questions. You are in a bowl. When the FCC mandated retransmission of local TV to service rural America, it was a real issue. When I bought my Series 1 in 1999, there was still a big issue needing taxpayer subsidy for people like you. This adds significant money to all cable bills. Would you help end the subsidy?

Next Question. TiVo used to be the answer to advertising. We watch and TiVo a ton using an RF switcher wired from cable box transceiver to receivers on slave monitors anywhere...just need multiple remotes. With two TiVos and HDDs we can store far more than we need. The whole point was bypassing the ads....How can you all do that anymore unless you pay through the nose for AD Free Streaming. Shouldn't consumers unite to convince Congress and the Agencies to allow TiVo or similar to compete in the market as uniquely being able to capture cable or some stream tiles without ads?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello group,

This is my first time visiting your forum which I found doing a search for Spectrum's cable card news. I was having an issue today with my TiVo Bolt missing a few channels and called Spectrum tech support. The rep said, "you do know we are discontinuing cable cards? We sent out email notices." I told the rep I have not received an email. After rattling off a list of cities, she notified me that my market is not yet on the list for discontinuation. I am in the Tampa Bay area.

I currently have a master TiVo Bolt unit and 6 Mini/Lux units around the house. If the cable card and tuning adapter are eliminated, that really jams me up. I will have to re-imagine my entire house. I love TiVo's intuitive software, which I've used for over 20 years. I have despised other DVRs I've tried (eg. Spectrum in a temp corporate NYC apartment).

What are my options if I get the cancellation here in Florida. When Verizon sold out to Frontier, they abandoned FiOs TV. I currently record four news channels daily for my occupation. What about getting TV to all my other TVs in the house without having cable boxes everywhere? I hope there is a viable solution. This clearly torpedoes a large segment of TiVo's business model and leaves me with a pile of obsolete gear.

ZBD
What about getting TV to all my other TVs in the house without having cable boxes everywhere?
You can use RF and buy a wired RF switcher box that take up to 3 inputs (e.g., 2 cable boxes and CCTV for Security). You wire the home from a central core where you put the boxes and at each TV location you place a red eye nearby (RF receiver), On each output source you place a transceiver IR eye which is wired to the switch. The switch outputs all channels from one source on channel 65, next source 67. final source 69. You need remotes wherever you have a monitor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To be able to help you know what you should adopt as your next pay TV solution, I'd need you to answer a few Qs:

1. Tell me about those news channel recordings. How many hours per day do you record and how long do you store the recordings? Are you doing live on-the-fly recordings or do you have recordings set up in advance to always record specific news shows? Do you need to be able to indefinitely save local copies of those recordings so that you can, for instance, edit those videos on your home computer, e.g. stitching together bits of various news shows into a custom newsreel?

2. How many different TVs in your home do you need to access cable TV at the same time? For instance, maybe you want TV service available on 7 different TVs but you never have more than 4 of them playing live or recorded TV at the same time?

Unless your TiVo Bolt can be used to receive and record OTA TV from an antenna (and that's something you'd care to do), then you probably need to just list your TiVo equipment on eBay or elsewhere pretty soon and get whatever money out of it that you still can. Because once lots of Charter Spectrum cable TV customers around the country can no longer use their TiVos with that service, you'll see a flood of used TiVo DVRs for sale, driving down their value. May as well figure out your next set-up now and get on with the changes. But to help you do that, I need to know more about the way you use live and recorded TV, especially for your work-from-home job.
I used to have many more....now down to 4 tvs. No more than 2 simultaneous watchers 1080p or 4k. Can store 600 hours. 120 is enough. No stitching at this time. Need all rhe CBS and NBC secondary nets + AMC. Getting all from cable w/out commercials. Hate trouble bypassing commercials. Using 2 Premiers lifetime. Also wired rf to go to as many screens as remotes using pro grade RF switcher. Gonna miss the set up when we move in September

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "CBS and NBC secondary nets".

How long do you need to store your recordings? If you're OK with your recordings automatically deleting after 9 months, then you might be OK using a streaming cable TV service with cloud DVR such as YouTube TV or DirecTV Stream, both of which offer all the big 5 locals (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS), plus lots of popular cable nets including AMC, starting at $65/mo for YouTube TV or $70/mo for DirecTV Stream. You use their apps for Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, or Android TV to access live and recorded TV. DirecTV Stream also optionally sells their own custom streaming box with cable-like voice remote for either $120 new or $50 refurbished; you get a 12-month warranty either way. You don't rent those boxes, you buy them to keep.

If you need to keep your recordings indefinitely, or for some reason need to be able to store them on a local hard drive in your home, then I would encourage you to consider combining either Spectrum cable TV or a streaming cable TV service (e.g. DirecTV Stream) with Channels DVR, which does offer one-click ad-skipping in recordings. (Services like YouTube TV and DirecTV Stream do not offer one-click ad-skipping but you can manually fast forward through ads in your cloud DVR recordings.) If you go this route, you would watch live and recorded TV in the Channels app for Apple TV, Fire TV or Android TV. (They do not have a Roku app.) In addition to your cable service, you'll need to pay $8/mo or $80/yr for Channels DVR, with its server software running on your PC, Mac or NAS, where it will store your local DVR recordings on that device's hard drive (either internal or external USB).

About Channels DVR ad-skip feature:

One other note: in some areas and with some pay TV providers, Channels cannot stream your local major network stations (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW) via TV everywhere log-in. If that were the case for you, you would need to add an OTA antenna and an HD HomeRun OTA tuner (starting at about $100) to your Channels DVR set-up, which does add some extra expense and complexity. But assuming you get good antenna reception at your location, it's not a big deal.
My bad generality...the secondary networks (nets) I was referring to are USA, CNBC, MSNBC. AMC, A&E, Sundance, TBS etc. Using my Premieres and Hard Drives. I can capture up to 4 simultaneous programs and watch then weeks or monrths later..same with Dodge Baseball and HBO and SHOW with my current cable card package in the LA Metro. I can add add on the other Premiere input all channels captured OTA with my roof antenna. I can also use my Roku Soectrum (tile or channel) to back into Channel 1 or "on Demand". Streaming I subscribe to also can be stored using TiVo. What should I do when the Monopoly provider of cable to my house cuts my TiVo cards?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts