TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
If Charter Spectrum pushes this issue, they will lose a cable TV sub. It is bad enough they just raised all rates again. Since the Charter merger with TWC, we have gone from ~$150 / month to ~$210 a month. That is without any of their boxes.

It would probably even save us money to switch to Hulu+ (already have Disney+). We keep the Tivo Bolt+ for now (lifetime guides). We also have an antenna (and HDHomeRun Quatro, Plex, and Synology DVR). Picks up more channels than Spectrum sends (with their non-optional fee) and we do not have to pay for OTA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Removing CC support does not remove TiVo’s freedom of ability to compete.

They can develop new technology and/or software. They can lease their services to existing companies. They can create their own IPTV service.

Tivo existed before cable cards existed. They can exist afterwards. It’s in their hands, not the government’s.
The problem is Spectrum is a monopoly.

Tivo will do whatever Tivo thinks is best for the continued success of Tivo. Spectrum does whatever it wants.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Again, IF YOU WISH TO STORE YOUR DVR RECORDINGS INDEFINITELY ON HARD DRIVES INSIDE YOUR OWN HOME, my suggestion to you is that do the following two things:

1. Figure out which pay TV service offers all the channels you care about for the cheapest amount of money. The best place to do that is the following website. Just type in your zip code, select all of your "must-have" channels and it will show you your options and how much they cost.

2. Decide on a hardware set-up that will allow you to pair the TV service you selected in step 1 with Channels DVR, which will record your streaming cable "TV Everywhere" channels and, if you want, can also record local OTA TV channels from your antenna if you buy an HDHomeRun tuner. Be aware that you'll need a Windows PC, Mac or NAS to run the Channels software on, but hopefully you already have one in your home (doesn't need to be a late model, powerful computer, old and cheap is usually fine). You can read up on how to set up and use Channels DVR here:

If you want to buy an HDHomeRun tuner to record from your antenna, go to the link below and click the "OTA Promo" icon on the screen. You'll want to choose between the FlexDuo model for $110 (has 2 ATSC 1.0 tuners), the FlexQuatro for $155 (has 4 ATSC 1.0 tuners), or the Flex 4K model for $200 (has 4 tuners total, including both ATSC 1.0 and 3.0). Note that you can also buy used ones on eBay for less (which is what I did):

Are they going to add a Roku Channels app?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The sad part is that if the current Spectrum app is any indication, their streaming video quality is going to be the same compressed to hell garbage that they're sending down the cable wire now. For people used to HD streams from real providers, their stuff looks like poorly upscaled standard def.

People are getting acclimated to high quality images from their streaming suppliers. If they don't up their game, Charter and Spectrum will become the new low rez side channels. Without the monopoly status they've enjoyed for decades, their TV offering will sink without a trace. They have no idea how to compete, and even less than that on how to compete on image quality. They are quickly going to settle on being just another ISP where in many areas they still have their monoply (but not for much longer).
No doubt. The quality of the signal is less. You also pay $21 for OTA signals which are delayed in reception, reduced in quality, and only a subset of the channels available. The savings from the Tivo (lifetime guide) updates has saved some money for us from the receiver/DVR service fees.

Given the current developments in this space (I care less about TV, but my family watches it), we are preparing to improve quality of the service and if we save more money (which preliminary checking shows around $50 / month saving with equivalent programming) great! I can only hope competition in the streaming / live tv space remains and forces competitive offerings. How Tivo responds, no idea. I have had enough of Charter / Spectrum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We got screwed when the FCC didn't have the balls to require an IPTV access standard. You'd think this is what gov't is supposed to do (i.e. standards) but you'd be wrong, although somehow it was perfectly ok to do ATSC 3.0.
All about corporatism. The people who are supposed to protect you from monopolies do the exact opposite.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts