TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
I can’t read that article.

Is there anything new or just a rehash of Zatz?
Basically the same info. Try this link instead: https://www.nexttv.com/news/charter-cuts-off-cablecard-support

· Registered
85 Posts
Not that they’ve shared when I’ve asked.

I still contend these received the marketing mailing already reported, freaked out and called, and got bad info.

No one has produced evidence of anything besides, “I talked to a guy who said…”
Here's the email I got yesterday. I'm in Central KY:
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

This is one of several I've received, plus USPS mailings as well. Also, phone calls from the Cable Card Support number.
They're definitely pummeling us with "dire" warnings.

· Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

That’s the same marketing message that many have reported.

It does not say that CC support is ending.
I guess it depends on how you interpret "CableCARDs will not be compatible with future service upgrades for some time."

"future service upgrades" --- how far in the future? what kind of upgrades? what about CURRENT services?
"some time" -- does this imply that support will come back eventually? what amount of time are we talking about?

As an engineer, I know that marketing folks speak in vague, ambiguous terms. That gives them leeway to interpret the words any way they please.
I'm not holding my breath waiting for a clear, concise statement from them, for sure.

· Registered
85 Posts
But at least one report from KY (Spectrum cable) is also claiming that Spectrum leased cable boxes are to be replaced within the next month.

That would entail what? 10’s of thousands? 100’s of thousands? of boxes?

And not a single peep anywhere on the internet reporting this massive effort and inconvenience to all those customers?

Just some technician told her?

Yea, I don’t buy it. People are being misled by bad info.
Well, I for one got notified by mail about equipment swaps, and with no other action on my part I soon received new boxes on my doorstep.
There was one for every old Insight/TWC box I had.

Again, I chose to do nothing, and on April 23 the old boxes quit working. Including my Tivo with CC. That lit a fire under me and I immediately embarked on a frustrating journey of countless calls to CC tech support (Buffalo, NY based--they are actually pretty good), truck rolls, cable runs, pretty much everything imaginable. At the end, I still can't receive HD channels of any kind (on my Tivo), but I was tired of devoting so much time to d**king around with Spectrum. The guys who came out didn't know squat about Tivos--and admitted so.

The "new" equipment I received is still standard QAM boxes, so nothing revolutionary there.

· Registered
85 Posts
What part of Central Kentucky? North central here. Bullitt Co specifically. I only have internet service, so wouldn't have gotten the notices regardless. Just wondering what area they are talking about with these upgrades.
I'm in Fayette county--specifically Lexington.

Reactions: hapster85

· Registered
85 Posts
For Central Kentucky, that would be areas covered by the Harrodsburg headend such as Mercer County, Anderson County, etc. There are multiple counties covered by that particular headend. There may be others also, but our particular system is the headend coming from Harrodsburg.

The equipment involved is CableCARDs and Spectrum receivers specifically the ones which contain CableCARDs embedded inside of them such as the Arris Motorola DCX3200-M and similar models. Not every Spectrum receiver has an embedded CableCARD. Older ones do, but newer ones do not. The replaced receivers will be the newer type which have no CableCARD device inside of them.

We just had our two receivers replaced in February 2022 when our Motorola DCH3200 boxes (big square gray boxes) were replaced with the current DCX3200-M boxes. We started getting letters around November 2021, just like the ones coming with the CableCARD issue, about it. I ignored every letter and email I got because, just like these, they were all very vague with no specifics, and I didn’t really feel like wanting to deal with it if I didn’t have to, but in February, 2 receivers unexpectedly showed up at our door from UPS. I didn’t ask for them nor did I call or respond to anything that would have prompted any kind of replacement order. Instead of calling, I went in person down to our local office, and I asked them what was going on. The person told me they started sending letters and emails a few months prior that I would need to get our two boxes replaced because those old DCH3200 boxes would no longer be compatible with their system and upgrades coming and would stop working. There was way more of those receiver units out there in customer hands than CableCARDs. The person also mentioned for me to be looking out for something coming around spring/summer that would specifically involve our CableCARD/Tuning Adapter combo.

On this CableCARD issue, I mentioned to my technician friend that I just had our two DCH3200 receivers replaced in February, and he advised me that some customers received units like the DCX3200-M which still used a CableCARD already embedded inside the actual unit. That means those will now have to replaced with the newer units which no longer have this along with our CableCARD/Tuning Adapter combo, and those boxes were actually Spectrum units where there are still far more of those than there are CableCARDs installed at customer premises. He said they were first getting all of the really old receiver units, of which there were several types out there, replaced before they moved on to CableCARDs and Tuning Adapters, but now that they are going ahead with CableCARDs, those customers which received replacement units like the DCX3200-M are going to have to replace them yet again.

I can’t imagine Spectrum going to this much trouble, even going so far as do to free professional installations on these, to replace their own units like that especially when there is no difference in price on the customer’s monthly bill and with having to pay a technician to do it when that technician could have possibly been doing a new customer install instead. I can see it with CableCARDs specifically, but not with their own receiver units since they gain absolutely nothing monetarily out of it along with having to pay a technician if the customer wants the free professional installation instead of self-installing it themselves. So to that, I would say if they are going to go to that much trouble for no monetary gain plus actually eating costs, I’d be watching out because so far, this whole CableCARD thing has textbook followed every other scenario which has come up in the past where it looked like it was just a bunch of hype for them to try to make some extra money but then actually came to pass.
Thanks for this very helpful post! Indeed, they swapped my old boxes for DCX3200's with cable cards.

Reactions: suzannesstud

· Registered
85 Posts
All recent STBs (DCX units would be considered recent in Motorola franchises) can continue to use linear QAM (even with a CableCARD doing the decryption) since they have (have always had) the capability to implement alternative two-way communications (unlike the the OOB signalling that the CableCARDs and TA's use in such locations).

I presume you previously had a DCT (or possibly DCH) STB. I recall that DCH units have the capabilities required (DCT's did not), but the DCH units are also frequency limited, so a DCX unit is probably more of a like-for-like replacement if worldboxes are not (yet) available/viable in your location (or in short supply).
You are correct--my old boxes were DCT2000 and a bunch of the Technicolor DTAs. Stuff from last century...

· Registered
85 Posts
Lexington, KY, here. I requested two HSCs on Dec 22 and went two weeks with no response. I called the 2598 number today and was told they had received my request but that HSCs are not yet available "in my area". I was told to expect an update within two weeks.

Our TiVos lost cable access on Dec 16 after a few dozen of those vague warning letters with no specific dates (at least on the ones we got). The tech who came to our house told me that high-split had been implemented here with no warning to them. He was unaware of the HSC possibility and had been telling other unhappy TiVo users that he couldn't help them.

P.S. I just noticed how old my signature is. We currently have one Roamio and one Bolt. The latter is a cable/OTA model and is currently recording from an antenna since cable is unusable.
I am also in Lexington. I lost my access at that same time. I called the cablecard support number (866-532-2598) and asked them to re-pair my CC and Tivo. The guy confirmed everything was as expected, but I didn't feel like he actually did the re-pairing. After some more diagnosing, he declared "your CC must have gone bad" (heard that a lot before) and set up a truck roll. The tech was very helpful and said we had just done the high-split. He called what I believe was the CC support line and got them to re-pair my CC. All my channels started working again. I'm using a series 3 TivoHD with a Motorola tuning adapter.

I have a friend who also lost access as well. They had a Spectrum tech come out (actually prior to my tech visit) and tell them essentially that the Tivo was now incompatible with the network. Since MY Tivo was now fully functional again, I offered to come over and call the CC support line to re-pair their Tivo. I told the agent we just did the high-split and needed to re-pair the Tivo and CC. He replied that he didn't believe Lexington had done the split yet. Long story short, we did the re-pairing and their Tivo regained all their channels. Thus I know that the re-pair was all that was necessary, since it was me on the phone with CC support.

As an epilogue, my friend actually had 2 Tivos that stopped working. However, after re-pairing the first one, the second one regained its channels as well. This I cannot explain. Somehow it "cleaned the pipes" I guess.

· Registered
85 Posts
So you had lost all channels? I'm out of the St. Louis market, and I can confirm high split was completed, and my tuning adapters now are just hunting for signal. The out of band frequencies those were using are gone. I have channels, but just don't have any channels that are related to the SDV(switched digital video) lineup.
Yes, I lost everything. This led me to believe it was something other than high-split. I confirmed the OOB freq was still 75 MHz.
I believe if high split was completed in your market, the HSC would be required.
In my case the tech at my house said we had converted, but when I personally talked with the agent at the cablecard support center, he told me we had not.
Thus, my old tuning adapter still worked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts