TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,110 Posts

Dear Spectrum Customer,​

You are currently paying a monthly fee for one or more CableCARDs. A CableCARD is a one-way card device - about the size of a credit card - that allows access to TV services.
As we continue to upgrade our networks and technology, CableCARDs will not be compatible with future service upgrades for some time. We have other options for you to consider that will enhance your TV viewing experience, including providing you DVR functionality and access to thousands of Video On Demand options.
Avoid the monthly fee of a CableCARD by taking advantage of one of the below:​
  • 50% off Apple TV*** (not available for pick-up in stores)
  • Free Spectrum Receiver for 24 months*

In addition, we are offering free Cloud DVR services for 24 months! ** With Spectrum's Cloud DVR service, you can record your favorite TV programs and watch them remotely from your devices.
To learn more about these offers or if you no longer require your CableCARD(s), call us at 866-532-2598 or stop by your local Spectrum Store. Visit Spectrum.com/stores for locations. We will remove any monthly CableCARD fee from your account. You do not need to return your CableCARD(s) to Spectrum.

I got it too. This is BS. Clearly trying to get cablecards out of circulation. As if any of their "incentives" for me turning in my cablecard are worth the paper they're printed on. The moment they stop supporting cablecard is the moment they are no longer competitive with any other alternative.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I can always read about the Bucs losing the next day...
I think MLB or the broadcast rights holders are on the verge of offering team streaming subscriptions with no geographic blackouts, but I've been thinking of going to radio and internet updates once my Spectrum new customer discount expires anyway. I attend about 20 games/year in person so why do I need to pay for the broadcast rights on those?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I have been shopping around for a streaming service with local channels. I live in St. Louis. I want to switch to a streaming service with local channels.

Far as I can tell there are 3 "serious" alternatives for full "cable comparable" service: DirecTV Stream, Hulu, and YouTubeTV.

My family said "We want the St Louis Cardinals games!". Spectrum carries all home and away Cardinal MLB games on "Bally Sports Midwest" network (the old Fox Sports Midwest acquired recently -- Cardinals own 30%)

Guess who has EXCLUSIVE rights to Bally Sports? DirecTV Stream. They are no TiVo.

We get MLB.TV (like NFL Sunday Ticket) but no Cardinals games (black out rules).

I don't know what to do.
Spectrum has Bally Sports Midwest. You have no access to Spectrum? If you're not already a customer tell them you'll sign up on the condition you can get the new customer discount AND a cablecard. St. Louis is (or was) Charter Spectrum corporate HQ so if it's possible to still get a cablecard anywhere it should be there. If you can get a cablecard at least you can use a TiVo until they shut off cablecards. Alternatively, you can stream on the Spectrum app so either way getting the new customer discount should be a better deal than DirectTV stream.

Me, if I can't use a TiVo w/cablecard will have no incentive to keep Spectrum cable. Condensed game summaries are free on the MLB app. I already also use an OTA TiVo. A lot of broadcast and cable series are available to stream on Hulu (almost free w/ads), as well as Paramount+ and Peacock.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I just got a phone call from a strange 866 number. They left no message. I googled it and it said Time Warner cablecard support. I was completely dumbfounded as to why Time Warner cablecard support would be calling me until I remembered they might be part of Spectrum now. I'm guessing it was either to follow up on yesterday's e-mail, or something more threatening to pressure me by telling me they'll be turning me off by a certain date.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
They've been talking about Bally Sports offering a stand-alone streaming package for Cardinals games for a couple of years now. The impression was it's getting close and there was even a recent story that it's expected to cost about $20/month.

Edit:
No Cardinals. They pick the five teams with no demand so they can justify not rolling it out for other teams. Somebody is definitely dragging their feet. I think they'll keep the Cardinals exclusively on Spectrum and DirecTV until enough people simply refuse to keep paying those services; then they'll roll out direct-to-customer streaming.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
5 hours ago I got maybe that 12th exact same form letter e-mail that keeps moving the date out for me to accept their fantastic equipment.... this time to August 28. I've received at least a dozen e-mails from them and a dozen phone calls from them where the phone call goes to message and they rarely leave a message. Anyone who tells you it's imminent is lying to you. The e-mails don't come from anyone technical... they come from a Vice President of Marketing in Connecticut. The phone calls are marketing phone calls. Don't fall for it.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
It's refreshing they finally ended the non-stop onslaught of high-pressure marketing BS. My first year new customer discount rates are being raised to full list price the second week of September so their new strategy to get my cablecard off their system is to flush me out with a $65/month (50%) bill increase. That will definitely work out for them long-term. :ROFLMAO:

Bally Sports gave a September 26th date for their rollout.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts